No announcement yet.

I'm getting married

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pagan hand fastening sounds lovely, tell us more!
    Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

Hey nothing at all concrete yet, but we said from about 2 weeks in we would do this. Neither of us are practicing pagans though. But as I film at a lot of weddings, they've lost their appeal to me, so would do something as different as possible. Registry office weddings are pretty bla and church ones wouldn't seem right.

I think my ideal would be getting married somewhere pretty and outdoors, like a forrest. Ending up in rustic barn, with lots of drinking and dancing. I also kind of like the idea of no presents, but getting people to bring a dish or bottle instead. We're not even engaged yet, but been playing with the idea of a pagan wedding for over 2 years now.

I think the ceremony usually involves tying your hands together, but basically mothers (or female relative) gets some cloth, usually symbolic to the person marrying, ties hands together with the cloth from the other person. Also I think at one point you jump over a broom and there may be a candle ceremony. I think there is something about a year and a day. Like you have a trial marriage and then the actual marriage. But I imagine most people do away with that.

Best wedding I attended was my cousins. Was a registry office and then a nice country barn. She had a BBQ and a bouncy castle. Seeing all my relaives + bride on a bouncy castle was ace. Oh and I filmed a wedding once, were they got all the relatives to blow bubbles at the same time, and they walked through. Basically like when they do confetti. That was fun and very easy to do.

I did wonder about giving people flowers to wear, so everyone feels like a bridesmaid. Maybe something like a crown of flowers. Would go with the pagan theme.
      http://togrowahome.wordpress.com/ making a house a home and a garden home grown.

Comment

Originally posted by kathycam View Post
        I also kind of like the idea of no presents, but getting people to bring a dish or bottle instead.

That's an interesting idea ..

I do think the very formal expensive gift lists are a bit much. Especially when most people live together before they get married and have a houseful of stuff)

I have toyed with the idea of asking the bee equipment companies if they do 'gift lists' ...
        :-)
        Strangely enough Nic isn't so keen on that idea...

Comment

Yeah I don't like the gift list things, but I suppose you really don't want to end up with 20 toasters. For my friends wedding we all gave him vouchers so he could get a blue ray player. (was a few years ago so they were pricey) I like making stuff for people too.

I think practical gifts, such as the bee thing sound a good idea. Or maybe money towards the honeymoon?

I kinda see weddings as being pricey and impersonal. So no gifts but bringing in dishes would help. I'm not sure how it would go down with people, especially as my family are spread out around the country, so it wouldn't make it simple. Anyway not happening yet.
          http://togrowahome.wordpress.com/ making a house a home and a garden home grown.

Comment

Originally posted by kathycam View Post

I think practical gifts, such as the bee thing sound a good idea. Or maybe money towards the honeymoon?

My niece asked for donations towards their honeymoon an account was set up at their travel agents and all donations were kept secret so no one felt under pressure to give. I thought it was much better than a present because they'd already set up home together.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

A friend is a Humanist celebrant. Some of the weddings she has celebrated have been in woods, cornfields, on the beach, mountain tops - anywhere you care to think of. Nothing remotely religious, just a celebration of a life to be shared. She does a fantastic funeral too

Comment

I think humanist weddings are not legal in England? but they may become so in Scotland? Sound like a good idea to me. Maybe I'll ask for her details one day. I'm pretty happy being non married, though his mum has been dropping hints. And we were talking about doing it next year, but not for ded. I'm not keen on the term partner, though it works well in that we also work together, so keeps our relationship vague to new clients. (I've no idea if it would put people off or not) But other than that boyfriend sounds too casual a term, in that we're living together and have commited ourselves to each other as a long term relationship.

Comment

It has to be legalised by a Registrar but the couples seem to regard that as just a quick formality, before the real celebration!

Comment

Yeah I guess thats the same with even a muslim or pagan wedding, so not too bad. Will have to look into it, from my very lacking knowledge you can make your own vows, so maybe adding bits in that mean something to you would work. Maybe we could get married on the allotment and have a bunch of vegetables as a bouquet?

Comment

Even Catholic weddings need a registrar present!

Its your wedding but it would be nice to involve your niece in some small way as per Plot10's suggestions! Thats if she wants to - she may not!

Congratumalations anyway and anyhow you end up tying the knot ! I LOVE weddings!
                      http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Comment

Lovely news - congratulations! xx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X