:rolleyes: GM crop scientists get $10m grant

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
    Thats cos you gals are all beer guzzling these days. When I was a lad the lady had a white wine, yee canny wee a lot on a glass of that, now cannae?
    I dinna drink the ale - in fact I'm sipping on a white wine as I type!! (No comment on how much wee is produced!)
    Last edited by Peas'n'Kews; 19-07-2012, 03:10 PM.
    If the river hasn't reached the top of your step, DON'T PANIC!

Comment

What goes in must come out.........

Comment

... and that's a bit like GM crops or chemicals - but often it comes out in our food plants and our food beast, and indeed in us.... or ways we can't yet imagine and certainly haven't tested for.

If any of you are all interested in this stuff, I have just started reading a book called "Silent Spring" by Rachel Carson. It was written in 1964 so of course some of it is out of date, but it presents the problems with chemicals, whether as pest/disease control or fertilizer very clearly. Essential reading, if you haven't already.

(If you don't want to buy it, just get your local library to get hold of it for you....)

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
          My glass is generally half full, apart from when its got an umbrella and a straw in it. Then its party time..
          As somebody said to me the other day, the good news is that whether your glass is half full or half empty there is definitely room for more wine

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
            As somebody said to me the other day, the good news is that whether your glass is half full or half empty there is definitely room for more wine
            Or in my case at the moment, Elderflower Champagne.

I only have enough for personal consumption.........52 x 2 litre bottles....... Hick!
            I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

The thing that bothers me with GM, for example is the "terminator gene". If that was spread wild by cross pollination, it's going to alaffect seed saving.

Other things that spring to mind are that we don't know what effect (as in side effects) modifying plants that we consume could be caused. If not this generation, then the next - in both humans and the GM crops. Some triggers could cause a
              Roll on effect and cause an undesirable side effect.

We just don't know yet.

Excuse the random
              Caps etc
              - posting from
              My phone - it seems to be a bit erratic!

Comment

And its not just the plants and us humans who may be affected, but the animals and insects too.

Seed saving can be gotten around using various methods like caging - you don't want your neighbour's GM crop cross breeding with yours else Monslimo will be around demanding you pay for the seed.....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X