:rolleyes: GM crop scientists get $10m grant

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
    I thought he was the kind of bloke that had made so much money, that he now looked at ways he could make a difference? Give something back?
    Yes, he and his wife have set up the Foundation which has contributed millions towards global health issues.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Originally posted by Capsid View Post
      Yes, he and his wife have set up the Foundation which has contributed millions towards global health issues.
      But as I said earlier in this post that doesn't mean that this initiative won't develop into something not quite so well intended. I genuinely believe he is trying to give something back but there will be a lot of people out there to make a profit.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
        But as I said earlier in this post that doesn't mean that this initiative won't develop into something not quite so well intended. I genuinely believe he is trying to give something back but there will be a lot of people out there to make a profit.
        Maybe, but it won't be Bill Gates which is what was suggested.
        Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

From the BBC article in the first post:

''However, opponents of GM crops say results will not be achieved for decades at best, and global food shortages could be addressed now through improving distribution and cutting waste.''

I am somewhat reluctant to bang on about it here, cos the more you sound like a raving evangelist, the more people ignore you but GM crops are SO not the answer. With natural, normal cultivation the Earth has enough for everyone's needs - but not everyone's greed.
          I was feeling part of the scenery
          I walked right out of the machinery
          My heart going boom boom boom
          "Hey" he said "Grab your things
          I've come to take you home."

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
            And as I said earlier Bill Gates is nobody's fool,he (or more properly his foundation) will own all the research & all (if anything) that comes from it.
            He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
              And as I said earlier Bill Gates is nobody's fool,he (or more properly his foundation) will own all the research & all (if anything) that comes from it.
              The terms and conditions of the grants are:
              In general, the investigators will own the rights to any technologies they invent. They are, however, required to use these rights to help ensure that any tools or knowledge created will be made available and affordable in the developing world. Agreement to this principle is a condition of receiving a grant.
              We respect the intellectual property of our grantees, but we ask them to structure their IP in a way that allows the developing world to access their drugs, vaccines, diagnostics, or any other health interventions at an affordable price. Our Global Access Objectives aspire to ensure that the poorest of the poor have access to any knowledge or products that we fund. We don’t provide a blueprint for exactly how this should be done, we leave that to our partners. Please see Rules and Guidelines for a full description of the Global Access Objectives.
              Explorations Frequently Asked Questions
              Last edited by Capsid; 18-07-2012, 08:09 PM.
              Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Good find there ^^^ Capsid so now those with fears of third party profiteering can sleep with eased minds

Comment

Good find there ^^^ Capsid so now those with fears of third party profiteering can sleep with eased minds
                  Don't be such a cynic. Most scientists are altruistic.
                  Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Don't be such a cynic. Most scientists are altruistic.
                    Me a cynic, I think not other posters in this thread however may fit the cap

Comment

Whether we like it or not, (I wouldn't touch GM food) the research is going to be done by someone. Better with Bill than without him he will at least be able to enforce some strictures.

Colin
                      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Me a cynic, I think not other posters in this thread however may fit the cap
                        Sorry, I thought the wink emoticon suggested you were being sarcastic.
                        Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Sorry, I thought the wink emoticon suggested you were being sarcastic.
                          No apology needed,but thanks anyway

Comment

I'm not sure that I'm all that bothered about GM crops, to me it all depends with what they are modified with, for example adapting the genes of a grain of wheat with a grass I wouldn't have a problem with, but if they took something from a dolphin or a snake then I'm not so keen on that.

Perhaps that shows my limited knowledge on the subject, I just worry that in the case of grains that you cannot control the environment and stop the natural mutations, in the same way that you could with dolly the sheep.

So I'm happy for them to extract elements from other plant life to make the grains appropriate to the conditions, but as in leviticus 18:23 some things are best left well alone.
                            I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

It's probably tax avoidance through charitable philanthropic side doors...forgive me, but I'm cynical and he is a license to print money.
                              Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

My glass is generally half full, apart from when its got an umbrella and a straw in it. Then its party time..
                                I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X