No announcement yet.

olympics

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in the minority here then, I still have vast quantity of the 1982 olympics on video (I don't own a video player!!), and I will be watching this one with great interest. As I do pretty much any sport.

However some of the pre olympics programmes and especialy the adverts are getting on my nerves. There's one thing to watch a sport and then there's another to watch re-runs, and discussion about re-runs and what ifs.....

While I think there is a serious debate to be had about the appropriateness of certain sponsors for such events, the fact that the use of sponsors reduce the real cost to us the tax payer, that has to be on the whole a good thing. The 1982 Olympics was the first to introduce sponsors and actually generated a profit from hosting the games, which is still impacting on children today.

For all those unsure the touch that Chris saw, was the Torch, which is still winging its way around the country as we speak, and how could you possibly have missed a reference to it. I also went to watch it, and enjoyed the day, and my daughter has subsequently had her picture taken with one of the torches so she's also very happy.

You have to look at the ramifications for this event and others such as the ryder cup in Wales on the current generation of children, and how the additional funding at grass roots has seen an increase in participation. Its all good, as getting children today away from the computer and out there enjoying activity is by no means an easy task.
    I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Well, I'm looking forward to it. I thought the BBC coverage of Wimbledon was very good; I liked the slow motion cameras, although perhaps over done. But it will be fascinating for the Olympics, for me anyway.

I am a father of a competitive swimmer so I appreciate how much effort goes into the training and that this is the sporting pinnacle that every athlete aspires too. I can only admire them.
      Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

I'm only interested in the swimming and diving.
        I'm annoyed with the BBC again, they are showing the olympics but not the Paralympics, Why?
        Are our paralympians third class citizens? No they are not.

GRRRRRRRR!

Comment

Also there is another thing against the Olympics.
          Did you know that the Olympics has a tax loophole and the sponsors will pay little if any tax in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by cardiffsteve View Post
            Also there is another thing against the Olympics.
            Did you know that the Olympics has a tax loophole and the sponsors will pay little if any tax in the UK.
            Do they need to pay tax if they are paying a lot of money in sponsorship?
            Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Originally posted by cardiffsteve View Post
              I'm only interested in the swimming and diving.
              Can I ask why? I'm interested in the swimming too (couldn't get tickets!) but that's because my kids swim in a club.
              Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Originally posted by Capsid View Post
                Do they need to pay tax if they are paying a lot of money in sponsorship?
                Yes they selling food, drinks and equipment making millions in profit

http://falseeconomy.org.uk/blog/the-...ic-tax-swindle
                Last edited by cardiffsteve; 12-07-2012, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Capsid View Post
                  Can I ask why? I'm interested in the swimming too (couldn't get tickets!) but that's because my kids swim in a club.
                  I've always been into water sports, love swimming and high board diving is excellent to watch better in the audience though better atmosphere.

Comment

And dont get me started on venue security, they've only had 8 years to get it started

Comment

If it's on at a time that I can view it I'll be watching the kayak events, which they will almost certainly incorrectly refer to as just the 'canoeing events', rather than the 'canoeing and kayaking events' with the sub-sections C1, C2, K1 & K2 (solo canoe, tandem canoe, solo kayak & tandem kayak respectively).

I have no interest in anything else that takes place during the O-games. Perhaps if I participated in other sporting activities then I would be interested in watching those, but I don't, so I'm not.
                      Tried and Tested...but the results are inconclusive

Honorary member of the nutters club, by appointment of VeggieChicken

Comment

Nope, not interested.
                        But then, I am uninterested in nearly all sports except for the occasional horse jumping/eventing or dressage.
                        Last edited by taff; 12-07-2012, 05:42 PM.

Comment

love the olympics, sport is good for the soul, unless its football. looking forward to seeing our equestrian team.

Comment

The olympics - A complete and utter waste of money. No doubt a few corrupt individuals and companies will be lining their pockets at taxpayers expense again! I will not be watching any of it. I'm already sick to death of hearing about euro 2012 and wimbledon.

Comment

Just thought, I'll be watching the 100m final just to suss out the competition.

Comment

No interest what so ever!

I had to do a whole bunch of work for LOCOG (organisation doing IT stuff for the games) before I gave up work, yikes! Hard to smile and think "What a waste of time and effort" when they are paying your wages.....

But I managed!
                                If the river hasn't reached the top of your step, DON'T PANIC!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X