No announcement yet.

Your First Saturday Job was......

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first Saturday job was when I was 12yrs old, working in a Mushroom Farm picking mushrooms. I got paid £1 an hour.
    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
    Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

First proper job was pressing sheets and duvet covers in a big roller machine in an industrial laundry. Accidentally fused some duvet poppers together so got moved to the towel folding section. Unbearably dull but £60 a week tax free in the mid '80s seemed a good way to spend the summer holidays when I was 16. If I got too hot I'd spray cold water on my wrists from the pressing machine to cool down. It was better than the summer I spend in an airless basement with no ventilation copying drawings on a big old machine which stank of ammonia - probably a good job there is no need for machines like that in these digital years as it was a horrible job. Think it paid quite well and at least it was 9 to 5 hours, unlike friends who worked on the frozen pea lines from 7 to 7 (both day and night shifts) for a few pound an hour.

Interestingly I just went out and got myself jobs in order to have a bit of spare cash, don't remember ever being told to do so by my parents although they definitely approved. Most of my friends did the same. Looking at friends' children and young family members, most of them don't seem to bother looking. I know that it's not great in the job market but you do increase your chances by actually looking. I know loads of kids in their late teens who have never done a day's work in their life and if I was employing somebody for a full time job I'd much rather go for the one who had shown some initiative and done SOMETHING at some point. Will leave this now for fear of sounding like an old fogey.
      Last edited by Alison; 07-07-2012, 01:18 PM. Reason: Rant about kids today!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Alison, I've just added a link in the initial post about the benefits of Saturday job experience on a CV
        Number of teenagers with Saturday jobs slumps | Society | The Guardian
        There was a piece about this on the news this morning and that's why I asked the question!
        My parents didn't tell me to go looking for a job either and I didn't tell them that I was, but it was the only way to have some money of my own as there wasn't much money coming in at home. So I went into town, went into Woollies and asked for a job. They had nothing so I went next door to Boots and got a job there and then. I guess its not so easy these days.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          My parents didn't tell me to go looking for a job either and I didn't tell them that I was, but it was the only way to have some money of my own as there wasn't much money coming in at home. So I went into town, went into Woollies and asked for a job. They had nothing so I went next door to Boots and got a job there and then. I guess its not so easy these days.
          Exactly, that's pretty much what I did and loved the independence of it all. I agree that there aren't necessarily that many jobs about now but I'd have a lot more sympathy with a kid who had tried than one who had just shrugged their shoulders and said "can't" a lot. Obviously there are clear exceptions and I do know a couple of kids who are very responsible etc etc.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

My first Saturday job was in the mid 70's, washing up in my Grandad's bakery at the age of 12.

Up to that point I had been given £5 a week pocket money, but he decided it was about time I started to appreciate the value of money and got me working 8am - 3pm every Saturday for it.

I didn't mind, but when I had cleaned a four foot long dough hook for the fifth time of the morning it did get a bit monotonous.

I was a bit put out a few years later that my younger brother (3 years younger) never had to work for his pocket money at all.

Andy
            http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

We used to 'help' deliver fuel to OAPs at the weekends, and they'd give us a few pennies, or sweets. I think it was to get us out from under Mum's feet for a few hours.

When we were older, we both spent many many hours unpaid sh!te-shovelling at the stables, but we learned loads, and got to ride after the work was done, which was all the payment we wanted.

Washing-up and waitressing in the Pub was the next one, which my Sister loved, and I hated, but the money was what counted. Made loads of friends, too, which was a bonus, as we lived in a small Village so our social circle was quite small. I don't think I could ever go back to Pub work; people, nowadays, tend to look down their noses at waiting staff, which is a shame. It was bad enough when I was doing it, but it's worse now. I always make a point of being pleasant to waiting staff - anyone who brings me food is OK in my book!
              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

If I remember correctly, my first Saturday job was on the local market and I got paid £7 a day.
                An attempt to live a little more self-sufficient

Comment

Back in the sixties, at the local, riding stables, mucking out, catching up, grooming, tacking up, helping with the lead-reiners, in exchange for free rides if there was a horse spare.
                  Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                  Endless wonder.

Comment

Mine was a saturday girl at the supermarket in the next village. Fifteen shillings springs to mind.
                    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Never had a Saturday job as a youngster but I did have a paper round £3.50 a week then moved onto a milk round £13 a week. I never fancied working in a shop, still don't (not that there's anything wrong with retail work! its not for me.) .
                      Chris

My Allotment Journal @
                      Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
                      -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

My first paid work was babysitting a posh neighbour's children. I was 16, they were, I think, 13 and 11. As I'm a bit of a hobbit, they both towered over me! It was good practice for firm parenting I remember being very impressed that I was allowed to sample their exotic coffee!
                        I was feeling part of the scenery
                        I walked right out of the machinery
                        My heart going boom boom boom
                        "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                        I've come to take you home."

Comment

all those years ago, I had a couple of hours after school two evenings a week and a whole Saturday as a message boy and dogsbody for the princely sum of twenty five bob per week. That's £1.25 to you youngsters. Doesn't sound much these days but coupled with tips it wasn't long before I was paying for my own clothes, enjoying radio luxemburg and radio caroline on my own trannie, buying luxuries like a turkey for xmas lunch at home and such like

Comment

Thanks Everyone for your memories - keep 'em coming!
                            AP, I thought the same thing about values today, I worked all day in Boots for the equivalent of 75p but I felt so rich afterwards. I bought all my own clothes, in fact I can remember the first pair of shoes that I bought from my wages - black, pointed toe, stiletto heels and cutout bits on the sides - £1.17s 6d (£1.75) - I thought I was chocolate in them!! Happy days

Comment

Working in a pet shop, think I was paid around £3.80 odd / hour.

I had a love for birds and working there meant I got to be up close and personal with them each weekend

It's one of the reasons I keep chickens now - one day I hope to breed a certain parrot.

Comment

Worked a Saturday kid at the Cl**ks shop, for 5 years through A levels and university. £4.26 an hour to start. Sales and back to schools were carnage, but I learned the value of hardwork and money. Think all youngsters should experience a Saturday job.
                                Last edited by horticultural_hobbit; 07-07-2012, 07:57 PM.
                                Horticultural Hobbit

http://twitter.com/#!/HorticulturalH
                                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Horti...085870?sk=info

http://horticulturalhobbit.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X