Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Donna did you PM the Farmer Giles post to yourself ?

If so,you missed a trick or two in my posts yesterday ...........

Originally posted by Farmer_Gyles View Post
    the site search is a bit naff .... i prefer to search through google - type something like this into google:
    site:growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine "growing lettuce"

this will do an exact search for "growing lettuce" within growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine - i currently get 94 results for this search - they all have the words "growing lettuce" together

remove the quotes and i get 3930 results of posts that include those two words (and variations such as "grow", but the words are not necessarily together (ie, the words "lettuce" and "grow" can be in different places on the page)

there are loads more search options for google (and other search engines) - a valuable one is negating words and phrases by using the minus symbol - this can help narrow down results - so you might want to find information on growing lettuce which is not iceberg type - so your search could become:
    site:growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine "growing lettuce" -iceberg
    this gives me 91 results - not the best example, but it shows how to do things
    How did I get it into a quotebox (with correct acreditation) AND maintain the permalink
    Last edited by bearded bloke; 22-06-2012, 11:43 AM.
    He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

If Mod's are OK with me starting a thread with all the hints I posted yesterday,I will do so this evening (or if deliberation is needed when I get back from fishing) that can be added to by others to generate a common knowledge-base of handy hints & tips

Or alternatively could a Mod start a locked thread (maybe a sticky) & members can PM hints & tips so they can be vetted before inclusion,I say this as although I have been allowed to do things like direct play utube vid's in the JFF thread,it may unduly load the server if a lot of people start doing the same.

Comment

BB- I can't see any probs at all with you doing that- tis always handy having tips together in one thread!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hokey dokey after dinner this evening I will start two threads,one for hints & tips (which we can all add to) & one for questions (so we can ask each other if there is a way to ???) but neither will be for "conversations" that will keep them easily manageable & searchable.

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
            ......... that will keep them easily manageable & searchable.
            Hmmmm, might have to remind you that in the coming days . Good ideas though.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

You'll have to keep me off them BB, I have a bad habit of going off in tangents...
              I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

..where were we - oh yes
                aka
                Suzie

Comment

Please oh Pretty please can we have the suggested thread on HOW TO.

Please help an poor old putor illiterate bloke.

Colin
                  Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
                    You'll have to keep me off them BB, I have a bad habit of going off in tangents...
                    Really, I haven't noticed. Its not something that I do
                    Tangents ....that's that fruit you have at Ch.....as, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                      Has my thread been deleted? It would appear so and if so can I ask why I wasn't told what I did wrong before it was pulled?

It's odd that a thread should be pulled when so many people were pressing *LIKE* so I fail to see how I caused offence

The Mods do a good job here, (one that I would never want to do, although I do on a business forum) however, sometimes the power seems to go to some heads!

Hopefully this thread won't be pulled before I am given the respect of being told why it was pulled after a Mod 'had the last word' - that speaks very loud words to us all here.

Very sad really
                      A Mod didn't have the last word. Hence it being pulled.

However, should I have PM-ed you after pulling it; it would have resulted in a cross PMing again and quite frankly; I wasted enough time already yesterday and the day before on the matter.

It wasn't deleted though, and is visible on the other side; and so no 'like' figures have been lost to people's 'like' counts.

Comment

Sometimes, if a thread is getting heated, or inappropriate posts are made, but the thread contains useful information, it is temporarily hidden in order that the inappropriate posts can be removed and the member/s involved can be requested to refrain from such posting, or in extreme cases suspended from the forum, or banned. The thread then reappears, nicely tidied up, in order that the useful information can be retained. Sometimes that process takes longer if a) we're all busy in 'real life', b) we're discussing how to deal with it, c) we're awaiting a response from Admin. In this particular instance, 2 of the above are true.

As it appears that the posters of those useful posts are willing to collate them into a 'Useful Tips' type thread, then I think the horrible argumentative and essentially pointless thread can remain out of sight.

Comment

Originally posted by Incy View Post
                          Piskie,
                          Please feel free to copy all the mods on pm's when there is a query like this as we are often on here at different times so it increases your chances of a prompt reply.
                          Is there a list of mods somewhere?
                          "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
                            Yes! I just found it in a second post on the Chat forum. Maybe it could be in more central place or on each forum as a sticky or a statement at he top.
                            "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Yep, if you go to the main forum page, then scroll down to near the bottom, there's a link to 'Forum Leaders'. Click on that and you get a list of Admins, followed by a list of Mods

The pic shows the link, tis a bit easy to miss

Attached Files
                              Last edited by SarzWix; 22-06-2012, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Try the search facility

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X