• Show
Clear All

LOL FG - that is funny
    aka
    Suzie

Comment

FG it's hilarious!

And very clever too. How did you do it?

Don't answer that as I think it may be beyond my capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by donnakebab View Post
        So does anybody know how to refine a search? Even the advanced search gave me 17 pages of threads.
        the site search is a bit naff .... i prefer to search through google - type something like this into google:
        site:growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine "growing lettuce"

this will do an exact search for "growing lettuce" within growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine - i currently get 94 results for this search - they all have the words "growing lettuce" together

remove the quotes and i get 3930 results of posts that include those two words (and variations such as "grow", but the words are not necessarily together (ie, the words "lettuce" and "grow" can be in different places on the page)

there are loads more search options for google (and other search engines) - a valuable one is negating words and phrases by using the minus symbol - this can help narrow down results - so you might want to find information on growing lettuce which is not iceberg type - so your search could become:
        site:growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine "growing lettuce" -iceberg
        this gives me 91 results - not the best example, but it shows how to do things
        http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Farmer_Gyles View Post
          Yes - well done.

However all that does is post links to when 'use the search button' has been typed. Not when new members have been told to 'use the search button' when asking a question.

Which is what the actual thread is about. But anyway...lets not get hung up on detail.

Comment

Clever stuff, Farmer G, thanks.
            Now how do I search for your answer when I need to do a search?

Comment

Originally posted by donnakebab View Post
              Go to the most likely forum to have the answer to your question. On the right hand side near the top (it's not very bold) click on search forum. To the right of the box that appears click Advanced Search. In the keyword(s) section you can search every post of just the titles.

Good luck.

But I still want to know the best way to look after my chillie plants.
              Well, without being rude - all you have done is find all the other instances of 'chilli' being spelt incorrectly in one particular way.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                ... But anyway...lets not get hung up on detail.
                Good plan
                aka
                Suzie

Comment

Well, without being rude - all you have done is find all the other instances of 'chilli' being spelt incorrectly in one particular way.
                  And lets not get into "bored beans"

Comment

I typed it correctly in the search but incorrectly in this thread.

Comment

Yes - well done.
                      you're welcome

However all that does is post links to when 'use the search button' has been typed. Not when new members have been told to 'use the search button' when asking a question.
                      searching isn't perfect - but it does narrow things down a lot - in the example search i posted, the 4th, 5th and 6th posts were newbies who asked questions and had replies to "use the search button" (in my opinion the intention was to be helpful, not to be lazy or rude) - so my example search does answer your question
                      http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

But anyway...lets not get hung up on detail.
                        Well at least lets try not to.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                          Clever stuff, Farmer G, thanks.
                          Now how do I search for your answer when I need to do a search?
                          Easy peasy VC,hit reply with quote,right click (quote box) select all,then copy & then paste it into a PM which you send to yourself. Voily instant notepad
                          He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                            And lets not get into "bored beans"
                            And in my case on occasion "shallnot's"
                            He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by Farmer_Gyles View Post
                              searching isn't perfect - but it does narrow things down a lot - in the example search i posted, the 4th, 5th and 6th posts were newbies who asked questions and had replies to "use the search button" (in my opinion the intention was to be helpful, not to be lazy or rude) - so my example search does answer your question
                              AAh - so I see finally.

We aren't allowed to mention the search button as an option.

All of those instances the 'search button' has been mentioned in amongst other words rather than exclusively 'use the search button' as a response

Have a look at 'Cottagesmallholder' website. Fiona has one and loves it. Use the search facility on there and you will find lots to help you decide.

I can't answer your question, but hi Debbie and welcome to the Vine. This section is mainly for saying "Hello", so have a look on Pests and Diseases, use the search button, or post in Vegging Out. Oh and could you put your location into your profile so we can tell what the climate is like in your part of the country?

Salad leaves? Herbs? Have a good look around the Vine Suzan, you'll get plenty of ideas, or use the Search Button

Apart from sowing some salad leaves, not sure how much more helpful one could be?

I don't think any of the above are saying 'bugger off' as mentioned in the OP - but with the lack of information given, are giving the search button as an option to the person trying to find out information.
                              Last edited by zazen999; 21-06-2012, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Actually Zaz you were right I did spell it incorrectly in my first search. I just spelt it correctly and only got 19 pages of threads.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X