No announcement yet.

Dialect or Lazyness

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having been born and brought up in London within sight and sound of West Ham Football ground, I of course have the cut glass accent one would expect from that area.....
    Actually, when I was at school, I was regularly accused of being "posh" because I pronounced the "T's" on the end of words, but since I've been older, if I had a pound for everyone who after a few minutes of speaking to me, gives me a curious look and enquires as to whether it's an Australia or South Africa that I'm from.....
    I put it down to never having had my tonsils out....
    When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Ohh I worked in Forest Gate for 5 yrs CT...

Just down the road from the spotted dog....
      Last edited by RedThorn; 11-05-2012, 05:30 AM.
      Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
        This one's for our Flo to pull to bits.

Harry Enfield - Yorkshire Airlines Comedy - YouTube
        If it's artside Yorkshire it's not wuth visitin'. Rest of it? Not even going there
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

fit like min? How are you doing

Comment

Dain braw

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
              That's not a dialect AP, it's a whole new language..........
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                Fair to middlin, I think or flattered
                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  Gong back to the first post about laziness in speech, I've been browsing through the Wenglish site TalkTidy: Home Page
                  Here's something we say
                  Boil Tam Wenglish for 'boiled ham'.
                  Boiled ham is 'pink lint'................
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by binley100 View Post
                    ooh youse guz fur a 'barth' az well then .........yersee barf means summat difrent 'ere

barth = baff and barf = chuck up
                    Boff or barf means to fart.......................
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

VVG .....know what you mean
                      Mr HF from that 'area' he still has a hint of accent, made stronger after a family visit northwards

ps another thing I find Yorkshire peps do is shorten words...
                      Strawberries = Strawbs
                      Raspberries = Rasps
                      Blackbirds = Blackies
                      Coronation Street = Coro
                      Lilly of the Vally = Lillie's (this confuses me every time - Lilies flowering in April?)

and the list goes on.......I love it though, keeps me on my toes!
                      Last edited by Headfry; 11-05-2012, 07:45 AM.

Comment

I love all the different accents and dialects we have. When my boys were growing up I didn't use any slang words but noo am a right Weegie.

We were in Orkney a few years ago and I was talking to a man for about 10 minutes thinking he was Welsh but it was an Orcadian accent, lovely to listen to.
                        My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                          Boff or barf means to fart.......................
                          You've just got to love the Geordie accent.............
                          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                          -------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                          -----------------------------------------------------------
                          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I need to be a bit careful here, I'm one of those people who pick up accents and start sounding like the person I'm talking to..............I could sound very multi cultural after a few minutes here! Ali
                            Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Hi Feral Ali. When I read your posts I can "hear" you, especially some of the words like Ute and roos and whinge. Reminds me of some happy days spent down under many moons ago!

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                                If it's artside Yorkshire it's not wuth visitin'. Rest of it? Not even going there
                                Black ovvutt wife's mother's is Yorkshire for dark clouds bringing rain. Still makes me smile because where exactly is the wife's mothers? Why does she get all the rain? Can anyone from God's Own answer that please?
                                Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X