No announcement yet.

The cheek of some!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I regularly cut the stems off if they're too long and my daughter often munches a whole tub of blueberries, strawberries, cucumber or apples (in a pre-priced bag) on the way round, but in my defence, I do pay for the empty tub at checkout, normally going back to get another one of what ever she's finished on the way round, so I think that more than makes up for the reduced length of stalk.

Comment

In Sainsburys you can buy their Basics broccoli florets in a bag. They are about four times more expensive than loose broccoli. I understand that they are picked, washed and packed and that costs money but people automatically assume that because they are basics they are the cheapest - and I'm not being rude here - but a lot of those people aren't the best mathematicians, they have very little money and they don't need to waste a penny. I'm quite sure the supermarkets know what they're doing. It's the same with a lot of own brand things.

It really bugs me.
      Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Confessed stalk eater here.
        My Very Bleak Garden Blog

Reece & The Chicks

In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
        Revelation 22:2

Comment

If the stalk is so long that it is half the weight (and often it is) then I break or cut it off to a much shorter length. I'm not paying supermarket prices for a LOT of stalk.
          Often I buy from the market, and they sell broccoli by the #bowl# (£1 a bowl, might have 2 medium or 3 small heads), so when I do vegetable shopping in the supermarket, I resent paying well over £1.50 for a relatively small head, just because it has a long stalk. We buy the smaller ones because there are only 2 of us, and the small ones ALWAYS have the over-long stalks.
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I'm shocked........I wasn't aware of this national vandalism............
            Last edited by Bigmallly; 01-05-2012, 10:22 AM.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by lizzylemon View Post
              I regularly cut the stems off if they're too long and my daughter often munches a whole tub of blueberries, strawberries, cucumber or apples (in a pre-priced bag) on the way round, but in my defence, I do pay for the empty tub at checkout, normally going back to get another one of what ever she's finished on the way round, so I think that more than makes up for the reduced length of stalk.
              A friend of mine used to do that with her children - then when she got to the till she hadn't got her purse! There was much ado with the management team about thieving and not being able to pay etc .... she doesn't do it anymore! Just be careful you've always got your purse before you let them munch away!

Comment

Would the goods not be the property of the shop until paid for?
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I'm surprised more of you don't eat the stalk, I'm sure you all use it to determine whether the head is fresh or not. Chopped up like batons it makes a really tasty addition to a stir fry.
                  I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

I have a friend who prefers the stalk, perhaps he should get in touch with some of you guys

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
                      I'm sure you all use it to determine whether the head is fresh or not.
                      Not sure I'm with you there, I tell if it's fresh by how long since I picked it but also by the look of the ends of the florets.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                        Not sure I'm with you there, I tell if it's fresh by how long since I picked it but also by the look of the ends of the florets.
                        When you buy it at a supermarket, and I generally need to, its the OH's favourite green veg and we devour 2-3 heads a week. I always pick one that has a firm stem not a bendy one.

Comment

I just squeeze the head to check it's fresh and tight- not all bouncy.
                          I'd never consider cutting off the stalk- if I wanted florets then I'd pay twice the price for them. Why don't I just buy the florets?....well....the whole stemmed ones keep fresher for longer . I prefer the freshness tbh!

( obviously I'd choose one with a shorter stem if there's a choice )
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Some of the TV Chefs have advised 'us' to snap off the unwanted portion, and just pay for the part we want.

Personally, I would use the stalks in soups, if they were left over, but we don't have 'left-over' food very often.
                            Last edited by Glutton4...; 01-05-2012, 02:36 PM.
                            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I think what it all comes down to is being ripped off. I really hate seeing anyone get ripped off. Breaks my heart when it's pensioners, especially when they're faced with 'eat or heat'. And people on reduced circumstances - they might want to eat healthily but can't afford to.

Does anyone know where this soapbox goes? I couldn't find out yesterday....
                              Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Originally posted by julesapple View Post
                                Does anyone know where this soapbox goes? I couldn't find out yesterday....
                                I'll have it off you, I think I'm due a session, I haven't been on it for a while.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X