This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by petal View Post
    nonsense, they just wouldn't breed racehorses anymore!!! supply and demand. I am guessing the same thing has happened to fox hunting?(ie less hunters bred, less hounds bred?)
    Great solution , no more race horses then who really needs a horse, must be some form of cruelty we can attach to this, horses stood out in the rain, on fields that look like bowling greens or covered in ragwort, hacking round the roads, hammer hammer hammer on the hard hard road, just remember how many horses were killed after the first world war because they were of no further use.

Comment

Just looking at the stats and amazed with the number of horses killed onthe flat and all weather tracks, cant be the fences that did for these then.

Comment

Just a thought to leave this thread with, as I can see a storm brewing...if the money was taken out of horse racing, would it continue as a sport?
        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
          .if the money was taken out of horse racing, would it continue as a sport?
          Of course not

It used to be a good old English sport to torture bulls to death with dogs ... cock fighting, dog fights, etc

I just can't see how the death of animals is "sporting". But then I don't understand boxing either.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

As a follower of NH racing I can state with hand on heart I have never gone to a race meeting to see a horse killed, if this is what turns you on you could always go to the local knacker yard.

Comment

Looks like football is getting dangerous for the footballers too -what with another player having a heart attack during a match

Having ridden since I was 11 and had a couple of horses of my own I wouldn't put an animal I cared for knowingly in that sort of danger.
              Looks like one of the owners of a horse which was destroyed after the race is of the same opinion now. Sad his horse had to die to make him and his family realise that.
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                Looks like football is getting dangerous for the footballers too -what with another player having a heart attack during a match

Having ridden since I was 11 and had a couple of horses of my own I wouldn't put an animal I cared for knowingly in that sort of danger.
                Looks like one of the owners of a horse which was destroyed after the race is of the same opinion now. Sad his horse had to die to make him and his family realise that.
                Is that the owner of Synchronised Nicos? That poor horse in another race within a month of taking part in the CGC.
                Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

They must feel so guilty, perhaps they will have the influence to persuade officials to look at how racing can be made safer?

Comment

No- this is the one I read about...
                    BBC News - Grand National: According to Pete owner will not return
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

nonsense, they just wouldn't breed racehorses anymore!!! supply and demand. I am guessing the same thing has happened to fox hunting?(ie less hunters bred, less hounds bred?)
                      I think you'll find that more people now ride to Hounds than did prior to the ban. There are many riders who don't agree with Fox-Hunting, but will happily follow a Drag Hunt.
                      Last edited by Glutton4...; 15-04-2012, 04:09 PM.
                      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                        Begs the question as to why he did.

Comment

Interesting G4- is this because the foxys don't get hurt now? would love to follow a drag hunt- where do they find men willing to run in high heels though?
                          VVG - just read this and then watched the link to race- wish I hadn't- it shocked me, horse after horse falling- total blood lust crowd screaming- maybe I am a big softee but I just don't get it?

Comment

Interesting G4- is this because the foxys don't get hurt now? would love to follow a drag hunt- where do they find men willing to run in high heels though?
                            VVG - just read this and then watched the link to race- wish I hadn't- it shocked me, horse after horse falling- total blood lust crowd screaming- maybe I am a big softee but I just don't get it?
                            I don't either

Comment

Petal could you point out which part of the race was all the TOTAL BLOOD LUST CROWD screaming, I heard them cheering as the horses went past but thats the same sort of sound you here as a winger runs down the pitch in a football game or all them blood lust crowds clapping as the London marathon goes past, I have never heard or seen anybody declare any form of happiness at a horse falling.

Comment

Some facts need clarifying here.

Lowering the fences will increase the chances of a horse dying so please don't use that as an argument if you are against it. The fences need to go back up high. A lower fence encourages horses to jump over them faster and speed kills in racing just like it does on the road.

Synchronised didn't die from his initial fall, he got back up and carried on jumping for a further 5 jumps before landing badly and breaking his leg. This could have been avoided if there were people around to catch the strays as it used to be before H&S got involved.

As for the National, my opinion is there are far too many horses entered and this is why the accidents occur. I strongly believe if they lowered it to 25-30 we would not see such a high rate of deaths.

Finally as for it being cruel to the animal in question. You only have to go around the world to see how horses are treated whether its in Argentina and Mexico as a workforce, or where they are eaten all around the globe, some 5 million a year are consumed and is worth more than any amount of racing owners choose to do.
                                www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X