No announcement yet.

Anyone know what this pot is?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, no, no........it's for Japanese flower arranging. One perfect chrysanthemum in the top.
    Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

You're thinking of a VW Beetle flower vase there, Jules.

Comment

I reckon it's a food-related item. Vent hole for the steam, saucer to protect the table from the heat. Sort of a pie with the ceramic taking the place of the pastry - ideal for those that are off the carbs!
        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Ha ha - you lot have made me think of a tv programme from years ago where a panel of people each told a story about an interesting and unusual item - and only one person was telling the truth. The idea was to guess who had the correct story. Now I can't remember the name of the programme..... Sorry.

As for your pot - well I wouldn't want it in my bed, VC! It must be used to hold something very hot, so the steam can escape through the hole, and the saucer is to stop the table getting burnt.

Come on - who's telling the truth? Someone must know what it's for!
          Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

I must have too much time on my hands, have just spent 30mins goggling images & can't find anything like it............guess it is to the Antiques Road Show!
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Call my Bluff!!

Originally posted by ladylottie View Post
              As for your pot - well I wouldn't want it in my bed, VC!!
              You're not getting my pot in your bed LL

I'm not sure of the size of these mystery pots. Are they individual soup bowl size or family size casseroles?
              Last edited by veggiechicken; 08-04-2012, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Yes, Call my Bluff, that was the programme.

The mystery pot looks to me as if it's an individual size.
                BM, you're not on your own - I was googling tagines and I did find one that was NEARLY the same - but sadly not near enough.
                Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

I keep thinking the lid would make an ideal candle stick for a candle-lit dinner for one. Maybe it was one of a pair!

I loved Call my Bluff!
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                    I keep thinking the lid would make an ideal candle stick for a candle-lit dinner for one. Maybe it was one of a pair!

I loved Call my Bluff!
                    I'm also going with the candle theory but thinking more T-Light candles..........not sure of the diameter of the hole though.
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

I was thinking Tagine this morning, but aren't they domed lids? (goes off to Google again in a mo...)

Size wise, they're individual portion sized, though if they're food, you'd want something with it! (either that or I'm just a pig)

I'm reconning more and more it's for hot liquidy food.. though when I had a look again this afternoon the 'inside' bit of the lid isn't glazed so I recon it'd easily stain??

Oh Nicos, there were two in the shop so I have a pair
                      Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Are there any other combinations of how it could be set up. Am looking at the chamfoured (sp) edge of the "lid".
                        Last edited by Bigmallly; 08-04-2012, 09:06 PM.

Comment

So what do we have here:
                          An individual sized pot, no handle but wide rim to use for a grip.
                          A fitted lid with hollow "knob" handle with central steam vent.
                          A base which would not, presumably, go in the oven but be used as a rest/tray for the pot, which presupposes that it would be hot.
                          It is, I assume, glazed earthenware but the underside of the lid is unglazed - so would absorb liquids, flavours and spices. Therefore, not ideal for cooking.

If its individual size then I think its a serving dish that originally may have had a full sized casserole dish for the oven.
                          And there M'Lud, I rest my case!

Comment

It's a Hot Pot pot. Or, if it isn't, it should be.
                            Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

OOoooh, I think I just found it..... Nabe pot... Off to look for a more similar picture though
                              Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Originally posted by julesapple View Post
                                It's a Hot Pot pot. Or, if it isn't, it should be.
                                With a romantic candle on the top...........Ah

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X