Same sex marriage........why not?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Seahorse View Post
    I see what you're saying but I think it is kind of my business, if people could even in a tiny way benefit from my support and encouragement. Poverty and racism aren't 'my business' as such either...

As for Mr Newton... sigh.
    No - what I mean is - it's not my business to wax lyrical on a forum as to whether it is to do with society adapting, whether it is people stuck in their ways that's the 'problem' - if indeed there is a problem with same sex marriages - which there isn't. I wouldn't want people on a forum saying that they had a problem with my marriage esp when they don't know me.

All these threads start the same way in innocent 'I just don't understand, me', and always end in someone getting upset.

Comment

and, like I always say, there'd be less gay people if all those straight people would stop having them.....

[JOKE!!!! and quite a funny one I find, especially for those of the anti- persuasion....] my...I am blathering on a bit this evening....

Comment

I'm pretty sure the only realistic option the law and religion have is to 'get with the program'. Any gainsayers are on thin ice, both legally and theologically and it's going to happen whether they like it or not
        I don't expect everybody to share my view, on marriage in church, but neither do I expect my views to be completely ignored.
        There are 2 sides to the debate - I believe a request for marriage is reasonable within law, but it's unreasonable to force church marriage. Or do politicians now feel they should rule on matters of faith as well?

Comment

I'm a live and let live homophobe who honesty feels revulsion at the thought of same sex relationships but so long as what they do to one another doesn't impact on me they can do what they like.

I'm not at all religious and found the following which is not my personal view on a website which I guess shows how the religious thoughts go. What God Says About Marriage - The Joining of Man and Woman in Matrimony.

"Same sex marriages may be condoned by civil law, but they are not permitted under God’s law. The Bible condemns sexual intercourse between persons of the same sex (Rom 1:25-27) so “gay marriage” though it may be approved in many minds does not have the sanction of Jesus Christ."

If marriage is a holy estate and the Church has the above view, then I can see how there are objections from that quarter.

I'm not going to argue the case for or against.

Comment

Would anyone want to have a 'forced' church marriage!? My point was that there's no real theological or moral objection to same sex relationships and so if relgions (not just Christianty) want to survive, they will have to adapt or fail. I'm sure this won't happen tomorrow or next week but I do believe it's inevitable.
            I was feeling part of the scenery
            I walked right out of the machinery
            My heart going boom boom boom
            "Hey" he said "Grab your things
            I've come to take you home."

Comment

Originally posted by The Reverend View Post
              Dear Boosmummy, very touching words indeed.........
              well i do try , seriously though i do have a touch of the old brain fog tonight (i think that's a medical term) and i know i was totally off topic in some ways but the principle was still there xx

Comment

My point was that there's no real theological or moral objection to same sex relationships .
                That is your opinion to which you are of course entitled, but not everyone would agree with you. That's the only point I'm trying to make here.

I only meant 'forced' marriage in that clergy may have to perform the marriage my law, against their own beliefs.

I simply don't think anybody has the right to tell people what they should believe or not.

Comment

Would anyone want to have a 'forced' church marriage!? My point was that there's no real theological or moral objection to same sex relationships and so if relgions (not just Christianty) want to survive, they will have to adapt or fail. I'm sure this won't happen tomorrow or next week but I do believe it's inevitable.
                  I think the concept of forced is that Churches would be forced to perform the ceremonies.. As for religions failing or surviving. They've survived so far despite everything and I suspect they will continue to do so. People can't be forced to believe and conversely, they can't be forced not to believe either.

Comment

I will never understand why people feel so threatened over something which doesn't effect them in the slightest but then again there a lots of things about people I don't understand at all. What I did find very funny though was a lesbian friend of mine making the comment that she was looking forward to one day having the power of bringing down western civilisation as we know it simply by saying I do . Sort of put in into context really.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thelma, I think between us we managed to make the same point

Comment

I would like to say at this point that im agreeing with several different opinions on this thread xx

Comment

Originally posted by boosmummy View Post
                          I would like to say at this point that im agreeing with several different opinions on this thread xx
                          and I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anything.

Comment

Just to lighten things up a little, and while we are talking about marriage and also racism.

The other night i suggested to my very attractive wife, that we move a hot Brazilian woman in to spice things up a little.
                            Do you know, she went absolutely berserk.

Strange really, i never thought of her as a racist.....
                            God bless all of us.

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                              As for religions failing or surviving. They've survived so far despite everything and I suspect they will continue to do so.
                              I said '*adapt* or fail' - all major faiths have progressed with time and will continue to do so, if they want to retain any followers.
                              I was feeling part of the scenery
                              I walked right out of the machinery
                              My heart going boom boom boom
                              "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                              I've come to take you home."

Comment

Actually, you said if relgions (your typo not mine) want to survive

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X