Penny Tray

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudpies View Post
    What were those ice creams that came in a plastic cone and had bubble gum at the bottom called?
    Screwballs? I was never allowed the bubblegum... had to hand it back over when I'd got to the bottom of it!

Comment

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
      Screwballs? I was never allowed the bubblegum... had to hand it back over when I'd got to the bottom of it!
      My children well remember that they weren't allowed screwballs for that very reason OWG!
      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Little Mojo chews...about 6 for 2p in 1975. Sweet cigarettes were my favourites, a shop in Sale Moor used to sell chocolate flavour ones (it's a Vets now....) and I still like candy sticks today - can't call them cigarettes any more. Oh, and candy letters.....nom
        Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

When I worked in school we had some made locally on Christmas that didn't have the bubblegum in the bottom the kids took some persuading that they wouldn't get into trouble for eating them.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Ooh congrats OWG - just seen your MoM!

Anyone recall coconut shredded tobacco? We used to roll it up in dock leaves, pretending it was the real deal. BTW I have never smoked! Just in case some smarty tries to suggest otherwise
            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
              Ooh congrats OWG - just seen your MoM!
              Squuueeee!! What?! What?! What's all that about then???

Comment

Looks like the penny sweets are on you.....congrats on your MOM.
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

on my penny tray was something called Spanish Gold. It was a fake tobacco type sweet that I couldn't get enough of.... we also had milky ways that the chap in the corner shop would sell frozen with a lolly stick in the bottom and they would last a good few minutes. : ) Eeeeeeee, memories !

Comment

Did anyone else have competitions to see who could blow the biggest bubble with Bazooka bubble gum? Half the time you'd end up with it all over your face and in your hair when you blew too hard and the bubble burst!
                    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                    Endless wonder.

Comment

Nostalgia! I remember the blackjacks and fruit salads at a farthing, and flying saucers, there were even tiny bars of CDM for 1d, 2d, and the 'full size' one at a tanner.
                      I was supposed to get the bus home from school (2d, main reason was it got me across the one busy road) but on a Wednesday my big sister (worked in a shop, and that was her half day) met me, so I didn't need my busfare and could buy an ice cream!
                      A bit later, most of the 'sold by weight' sweets were 7d, 8d, or 9d a quarter, but he would do 6d worth if we asked.
                      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                        When I was a kid my mum worked at the Trebor factory and every Friday from their staff shop she'd bring home huge bags of sweets I remember Black Jacks, fruit salads, mints, refreshers and some sort of wine drops that used to stick to the paper bag.
                        Eating all those sweets back then is probably why I don't have a sweet tooth.
                        MY mum used to work in the Trebor Factory just down the road from where we lived in London! Shew used to bring stuff home too, but used to complain that packing the Trebor Mints used to break her nails! (No latex gloves then!!)
                        The factory backed on to my Junior School and the smell of the fruit salads used to make me feel queasy in the mornings, then on the way home on summer afternoons you had to pass this outlet pipe which oozed some kind of sugary waste and would be swarming with wasps!
                        When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Yes, that's them - brill - I've been trying to remember all day! Thanks OWG
                          Yup the bubblegum was bright blue I think - pretty nasty stuff I think now (loved it then though!)

Comment

There's a shop in Launceston that sells all of the above -and more - from proper sweetie jars and served in little paper bags...
                            Feel a little trip to Launceston for a 1/4 of sherbet pips coming on........

Comment

Coconut mushrooms!!!!!!!!

Comment

All of the above and I remember in the summer when you had a bit of cash you'd get a witches hat - it was an ice lolly with a ice cream cornet stuck on top - which one to eat first before it melted!

Oh and another to add those peanut shaped sweets sort of toffee and peanut chips inside.

My poor kids only went to the penny shop on a friday afternoon after school - that's why neither of them have any fillings thy're now 15 and 17 and I had masses by the time I was about eight!

I remember going to the penny shop on the day of decimilisation and getting 'new change' from sixpence my dad gave me.

francesbean
                                My Square Foot Gardening Experiment Blog :
                                http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...log_usercp.php

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X