No announcement yet.

Well, That's That....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the art of bartering is sorely missed in this day and age. The exchange of goods and services, adds real value to what you own. Today we live in such a throw away society that we rarely treasure our possessions, in the way our ancestors would have.
    I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

As one door closes Jules, Good Luck love.
      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Thanks FloFen. As the day has gone on, I've realised that I maybe should have done this a year ago. It has been getting me down for a while, so now that I've closed the door I feel I can go forward happily.

So, fifty-four metres of lime green bunting here I come!

Jules
        Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Originally posted by julesapple View Post
          the cost of venues has shot up, so higher stand charges, ...spending customers are few...rising cost of raw materials...you'll never get the true worth of your products.

We're all too used to buying cheap imports.
          That's why I never got a business off the ground myself. I have a bit of ability with figures, and I knew I couldn't possibly compete with either end of the fashion market: Primark or Dior. I should have lived in the Victorian age, when ladies hired dressmakers.

I am so sorry you've had to chuck it in, and your considerable talents are now being wasted. When will we wake up and support our own UK makers/growers/creators? Ever?

All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Aww TS, I wouldn't say wasted. Not completely. I'm still getting orders. I won't stop making things...not with all the fabric I've got!

Jules
            Jules

Comment

Seems such a shame to "Shut up shop" I'm sure you've built up a good reputation within the craft world.
              You got to do whats you feel is best for you.

Comment

Jules it would seem it ceased to be a pleasure and became a chore I personally think you have done the right thing. Good Luck in your new venture.

Colin
                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Colin, you hit the nail on right the head!

Jules
                  Jules

Comment

I'm also sad to hear you've jacked it in but any venture has to pay its way and when it doesn't for reasons beyond one's own control decisions have to be made.

Things people previously bought without even thinking are now thought of luxuries. Necessities have to take precedence over luxuries. Folks don't go to the fairs, the fairs hike up the charges to the stall holders to compensate for their reduction in income but the stallholders have no customers never heed anyone to pass on their increased costs to and the end result is inevitable.

Don't let it get you down missus. We've got to hit the bottom sometime

Comment

I hope things pick up for you, maybe getting back to the basics of what you love doing will help as a new starting step for much better things to come.
                      love and hugs xx

Comment

I think Christmas is the one time of the year where people are prepared to spend on crafty items, we want to give gifts with more meaning.
                        I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Christmas sales last year were still quite good, but a lot of crafters have benchmarks and I frequently heard people saying things like 'This isn't as good as my best Christmas, when I did X amount' So when you enquired when their best Christmas was they'd reply '2002' or '2006', and any year pre 2008 was before the recession. It's crazy to go by 'your best ever' day of sales, but they do, and yet, on any given day, sales factors will always differ. It's not predictable at all.

AP made a very good point. When crafters don't make sales it can be for a number of reasons; 1) You have to sell your product yourself, if you sit there glowering behind your table customers will avoid you. 2) If your product is rubbish, or plain ugly, well...... 3) Everything on the craft fair side of the double doors is a luxury - if Joe Public is economising our sales will plummet.

Having said that, as far as a lot of crafters are concerned, if they don't sell anything, it's the organiser's fault (of course!) The BH is an excellent salesman and works very hard at selling his chocolate and we measure the day's sales by that; our most expensive piece of chocolate is £4.95, the most popular pieces are £2.25, so if there were enough people through the door for him to sell, say, £850 worth, then you should have been able to make good sales too if you had your best smile on and your wits about you. There is only so much the organiser can do.

Jules
                          Jules

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X