No announcement yet.

Drought?!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over 3" of rain in a Morrison's bucket that was dumped outside on Tuesday. Shame we're not in a drought zone.

Comment

Make the most of it tomorrow cos there's more drought to come on Sunday............
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Our drought came early, tipping it down here today, next dry day (according to forecast, hmm, what do they know?) is May 12th.
        Typical, lovely day yesterday but too windy at the plot to put up the final section of my culticave (modular placcy greenhouse). The forecast was good for today, with less wind. I planned to put the environmesh over the sprouts, as well as planting out all manner of veg who are screaming for more space.
        It's open day (and official opening by Mayor) on the 7th May, we had a message asking everyone to get tidied up for it. Well my weeds are looking good.
        I'm not afraid of getting wet, but we're on clay so my boots would get so heavy I'd be unable to move and of course compacting the soil where I don't have beds.
        Last edited by BarleySugar; 28-04-2012, 06:54 AM.
        I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
        Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Same here BS. Forecast was dry for today but it's still raining. Don't think it's stopped for about 36 hours...maybe more. Was going to sew some more spring onions on my lottie today but it's too wet and tomorrow is going to be worse.

Today I will be sewing indoors and potting on.
          Last edited by donnakebab; 28-04-2012, 07:06 AM.

Comment

You know what?

Even after all this rain our well is still dry!

Anyone know how long it'll take to start filling again?
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
              You know what?

Even after all this rain our well is still dry!

Anyone know how long it'll take to start filling again?
              Is it the wrong sort of rain we're having?

Comment

How long of drought did it take for the well to dry out?
                Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I heard about it the wrong rain,on the news lol,seen it on here first to me rain is still wet stuff,and good,i suppose it has got to gradualy tricle down to the underground supplies,like if you let compost dry out,it's not easy to get to pot bottom,or pot bottom to the top,thats why we get flash fluds i recone,it's as bad as having nowhere for the water to go when we got to much,if that makes any sence,
                  sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by lottie dolly View Post
                    I heard about it the wrong rain,on the news lol,seen it on here first to me rain is still wet stuff,and good,i suppose it has got to gradualy tricle down to the underground supplies,like if you let compost dry out,it's not easy to get to pot bottom,or pot bottom to the top,thats why we get flash fluds i recone,it's as bad as having nowhere for the water to go when we got to much,if that makes any sence,
                    And just like compost that's really dried out just pouring water on to it doesn't solve it. It needs a long soak.

Glorious here today if you ignore the wind ripping into everything.

Comment

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
                      And just like compost that's really dried out just pouring water on to it doesn't solve it. It needs a long soak.

Glorious here today if you ignore the wind ripping into everything.
                      thats what i meant about the comost ref only you put it in a better understandable way lol
                      was dry earlier,now wet,still cold but no drought preportions of rain
                      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
                        How long of drought did it take for the well to dry out?
                        No idea tbh- but there was water in it last year. We've only just been able to measure it's total depth cos the weighted string touched the bottom
                        I suppose there could have been only a metre in it.

The poor peeps living here in the 1600's would have had a long walk down to the river to get cooking /drinking water...never mind washing water....bet those wooden bukets full of water were flipping heavy!

Makes you think twice about chucking a hotwater bottle load of water down the drain doesn't it?

Comment

I'll let you guys know when we get our first 'splosh' when we chuck a stone down it!

Comment

Yey!!!!!...we've got a 'plop' rather than a 'splosh'

Sooo pleased- so much so we chucked a few more stones down the well just to listen to it again!

Yey!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                              Yey!!!!!...we've got a 'plop' rather than a 'splosh'

Sooo pleased- so much so we chucked a few more stones down the well just to listen to it again!

Yey!!!!
                              The water level will rise because all those stones will displace it!
                              Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

When we had a private water supply, it ever quite dried up (Orkney is WET) but one dry year the level went down, it took 3 weeks of dry weather before we saw any difference, and it took 3 weeks of returned rain to get the level back up.
                                Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X