Drought?!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
    we all (well nearly all) use water prepared to be fit for drinking to flush the loo
    Yes: we poo in our drinking water.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

^ I managed to kill that thread, didn't I ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Got my new siphon pump for the bathwater, and it's so good I made you a video: bathwater siphon pump - YouTube
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Yes - you s**t on it from a great height

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
          I imagine there will be a shortage of waterbutts etc as the dry weather sets in?
          i'm going to start panic buying water butts ....
          http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

too late mate, it was reported on our local news that factories are working 24/7 just to restock shelves

BBC News - Water butt sales up in southern England over drought fears
            Last edited by Thelma Sanders; 02-04-2012, 04:06 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

uh oh .... now i'm panicing that i can't panic buy anything ....

ok, a new idea .... i have 10 builders buckets .... how i managed to get that many i'll never know, certainly don't remember buying them! but anyway, they're now all lined up on my lawn .... time to panic buy some more .....
              http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Use your jerry cans - you won't need them for petrol!

Comment

Its raining!!!!!!!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                    Yes: we poo in our drinking water.
                    Some years ago I ran a Youth Group and it was always my job to find something interesting for them to do, other than first aid, on their night. I once had the bright idea of taking them all to a local sewage works. They were all keen, or appeared to be, so I got it organised but we had trouble with transport so it had to be cancelled. Not to worry, I would replicate the procedure in the hall.
                    I was well prepared, having read it all up and on the night we started with an empty glass jar and filled it with a mixture of things. I can't quite remember now what we used for the "solids" but I know that the children were horrified when they realised what it was supposed to represent!
                    We ended up with a pretty grim looking mix and we gradually filtered it out so that we ended up with quite clean looking water. I didn't go to the extreme of making their squash with it though.
                    What did come across very strongly was that not one of them knew how their drinking water started off. I fear I scarred them for life!!!
                    Last edited by Sanjo; 03-04-2012, 08:19 AM.

Comment

As a nation we use far too much fresh drinking water. Instead of moaning about the price we need to realise it is a valuable resource to be used wisely. Simple rainwater harvesting systems can be installed at little cost in many properties either for use in the garden or pumped into tanks for use in the loo and washing machine. The cost would be very quickly recovered if you consider most of us throw nearly a fiver down the loo EVERY week.
                      For those who drink bottled water - would you use it to flush the loo or wash your clothes???????????

Comment

This link was sent to me so I thought I'd share it with you!

Plot to beat the drought - Telegraph
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                          Its raining!!!!!!!
                          It's raining lots in Merseyside too ) Rainy April eh?

My OH put grass seed down yesterday so we are well chuffed.
                          Choccy

My favourite animal is steak...

Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.

Comment

We just had rain!!! Well 20 seconds of it, not even enough to wet the shed roof, let allow any run-off but it was a very unusual sound.~Stopped just after we got the washing in. Typical!

Comment

Spoke too soon!! It really is raining. What a lovely sound. I might get as much as a watering can full at this rate.I musn't complain that it is finally here, I complained enough when it wasn't BUT I had big plans to work in the garden, tidying up the mess I made yesterday when I started tidying up. Ah well, my loss is the garden's gain. I'll play at something else instead. Anything as long as it doesn't involve the ironing board, vacuum cleaner or duster (whatever that might be!)

Comment

I was very pleased to see (light) rain this morning... our garden is like a dust bath - we have fairly clay-rich soil, so when it gets hard it just sets. At least it might have softened up to let the grass through a little!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X