No announcement yet.

How far do you travel to work?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good on you Chris! I bet handing in your notice felt really great.

Comment

Well. Bit of an update..

I've been very busy recently in work (and at home) - haven't been around that much, but to cut a long story short I've just been told that I'm going to be put in charge of the programmers here, in the English site, and in the Irish site too. It'll happen in the new year, once all the current stuff in the way has been cleared and the systems that we're working on have been rolled out properly

Quite chuffed really - I've had to work some long hours as of late so it was nice to be recognised. It's cutting a massively long story short, which I won't bore you with the details of, but thought I'd pop back into this thread and say thanks again for the advice

Tell you what though, I'm really looking forward to the time off over xmas - I've decided that I'm not going to do anything bar enjoy the time off with my family (for once)

Edit: hope that doesn't sound like I'm bragging or anything, just quite pleased - thought I'd share the news Also the drive isn't too bad either, but hoping to relocate or at least do some time in the Cardiff office at some point too.
      Last edited by chris; 05-12-2012, 11:40 AM.

Comment

well done Chris but what do you mean by here in the English site?

Comment

Congratulations Chris - you deserve it Hope you get to cut the mileage back somehow!

Comment

Hi Chris,

Everyones circumstances are different, but here are mine:

I live in Cardiff, and Drive to the outskirts of Bristol every day.

approx 45 miles each way.

I leave my house at 7am every day, which for me is fantastic, as I am an early riser anyway, and driving at that time I miss ALL the traffic, and I am in work by 7:50am most days.

Then I finish at 4pm, and am still home by 5pm, including picking up my daughter from nursery.

The driving to and From work does not bother me in the slightest, as in my opinion, less than an hours drive each way is a 'short' drive.

To put things into perspective:

my girlfriend commutes to a busy part of cardiff every day (only 5 miles or so from home), but this drive can sometimes take her 45mins - an hour.

Whereas I am driving approx 45 miles each day in the same ammount of time!

However, I am very lucky in that due to the nature of my work, I have a company car and all fuel/bridge etc is paid for.....

If I did not have these 'benefits' as they are called, then I doubt it would be worth me doing the same job for the same money. But at the same time, my job is a very 'safe' job, and they are extremely difficult to find these days....

It is a tough one.......

Cheers

Comment

Thanks for the reply - I was bumping an old thread mind

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                well done Chris but what do you mean by here in the English site?
                Ah right, I live in Wales - the group I work for has bought 2 other companies to bring them in the group - one based in England, one in Ireland

Comment

So you aren't moving back here then?

Comment

How much are you offering?!

Comment

4 packs of Smarties?

They are large ones...2 pink 2 blue.

Comment

I'll up it to 6 packs of Smarties if Chris stays in Wales!!

Comment

Well, I saw a tube almost as tall as me, so that trumps you both!

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post

Edit: hope that doesn't sound like I'm bragging or anything, just quite pleased - thought I'd share the news Also the drive isn't too bad either, but hoping to relocate or at least do some time in the Cardiff office at some point too.
                            Congrats Chris its always nice to hear how someone's discussions have worked out.
                            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                              Well, I saw a tube almost as tall as me, so that trumps you both!
                              I'm desperately trying not to be unkind here

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                                So you aren't moving back here then?
                                Would he find you, he's been here a while now and his sense of direction isn't great...

Well done lad, you'll be moving to that bigger pad with the acres of land before you know it. Its nice round by us you know, and its easier to get on the M4 than with you.
                                I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X