No announcement yet.

How far do you travel to work?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know if my tuppenceworth will be helpful Chris but that extra 40 minutes per day - 200 minutes per week x 52 = roughly 4 weeks for your extra £9k. If only you could be paid at that rate for your working time

Comment

You only get one life. Why spend eight hours of every day unhappy?
      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
      Endless wonder.

Comment

my commutes used to be anything from 10 mintues to an hour each way every day. It was varied, so never the same every week, and then I did one where it ws every day. I was in my twenties when I was doing that so physically it was ok, but really don't underestimate how knackered an extra hour a day driving will make you feel. Haven't read the whole thread either but I'm thinking that extra time will encroach on time you spend with your kids too at the age they are now.
        If I had to do that kind of driving ever day now [forties] I'd be so tired at the end of the week. My current commute is barely ten minutes and it suits me just fine.

Comment

in total up to 3 hours there and back on the london commute daily, term time.
          Must find job in Bedfordshire or a rich husband, so I can doss.

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
            Likewise my chicken-cooking comments can be skimmed over very quickly
            Why... did you boil the chicken, i thought it quite moist.

Chris, I think when people give you negatives and you can see the positives, then you are already down the road. We never know whats right for us until we give it a go, and remember we generally only regret the things we don't do in life, not the things we do.

Swansea is quite nice, I much prefer shopping there to Cardiff, you don't get quite so much barging.
            Have you considered moving there as opposed to commuting, the council give you free compost by the trailer load down there you know.
            I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

I do a lot of driving for work, any journey over 45mins to get home is to far unless you don't mind driving( atm I can average 300 miles a day and tbh I don't mind it as the traffic's a lot lighter here
              Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

I work in the primary school in my village. I would walk there but always have so much to carry I end up driving.... and it's only 3/4 of a mile. When I am not working and just doing school pick ups then we walk

Mr janeyo hates driving around with a pssison, (depite having a passion for fast cars he is only happy on empty roads) so he made the decision 3 years ago to be a contractor and this means he mostly works from home - he has never been happier in his working life. He saw his dad constantly work away all week, spend hours driving about for his job and never saw him as a child so he did not want the same for his family life.
                Last edited by janeyo; 16-02-2012, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Our work is in a different location every day, but a lot of it is 50 miles from home. OH does the driving (he's a lousy passenger), and we don't actually get into the rush-hour, because we are able to start at the time that suits us (usually just before 10, if we have to go up the M4, which is frequent) and usually finish the 'off base' part in time to be nearly home before evening rush-hour.
                  The big question is whether the alternative is better than what you have now, even if it is only better because of being a change, and the extra cash to hasten a degree of financial security. This is some thing only you can decide, but it reads like the combination of extra income and a change of scene appeal strongly to you, just bear in mind, when a job has gone sour, the next one might not take long to do the same.....
                  Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Just roll down the stairs and I'm there..................
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I now fall out of bed and into office where I now do admin work for Hubby. previously my work was 7 minutes in the car but as a full time working Mum ever minute was precious and although i could have walked and got some ME time it was important that betwen the 2 of us we covered the school coming home times.
                      Make the most of your youth and energy to make your money while you can

Comment

26 miles a day. Used to be 44. Great thing about the drive though is there's not one set of traffic lights and just 1 roundabout so its 99% trouble and stress free. Allows me time to arrive home relaxed.
                        www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

80 mile round trip , 30 motorway 10 country roads takes 45 mins each way if i get a straight run .
                          theres roadworks on the motorway which arrived at the turn of the year with a 50mph restriction, roadworks end 2013 arggggggh
                          Last edited by hollychap; 17-02-2012, 07:57 AM.

Comment

So, after more negiotation, and the terms being met - then more umming and arring on my side of things I handed my notice in this morning.

I popped down there yesterday - theres a garden centre right near it, so be nice for a browse around lunch times too

I've a nice long break before starting my new job too, so it means I'll be able to pop home back to the midlands, and also get a load done in the house and spend some days just chilling too.

Comment

Well done - congratulations!
                              If you like driving you will get used to the extra time behind the wheel. I work with my husband, both of us work from home so we both take it in turns to drop the kids off at school, a 30mile round trip that takes around 1hour and 15mins. I use audio books and I love it!

Comment

Congrats Chris and from reading your first post you'd already decided that you wanted to go for the new job, but its still good to sound out others who have a fair way to travel to work.
                                Your only problem now will be to not spend your pay increase in the garden centre
                                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X