Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queen wasps!

We caught 3 queen wasps inside the house yesterday
    It's warmed up a bit ( ie we'd upped the heating as we had visitors over the weekend) and it must have brought them out of hibernation!

The windows had been shut- so they must have snuck into the house a while back.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

We had loads of queen wasps show themselves when we dismantled the old garage and stone walls. There was evidence of loads of nests in there - good job we didn't do the work whilst they were active
    A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Depends exactly what sort, but on the whole I prefer to leave wasps alone ntil towards the end of summer, unless where they are is a major nuisance.
      Unless you keep bees (and sometimes even then), they are more of a positive influence in the garden than negative.
      That's the 'usual' sort we get in Britain, you may have more serious ones in France!
      Queen wasps look for somwhere warm (ish) to hibernate, then in spring they wake up and look for a place to build a clever paper nest....
      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I'd have been mortified, I've been scared of wasps since I was stung by a big one on Scarborough beach. We had to go to the pub and Himself ordered a pint for him and asked for a shake of vinegar for me.
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

The wasps here seem to be much smaller than those I've seen in the UK.
          These queen wasps were pretty large.

BUT- they're about 1/4 the size of a hornet!!!!!

What concerned me was I think one came from inside the wardrobe and one from the cloakroom .It would have been quite nasty to have stumbled across them whilst they were dozing!
          ( I presume they WOULD sting - or does hibernating mean they're knocked out completely???)

Gosh I hadn't realised I knew so little about wasps!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I'm not sure how deeply they hibernate, but I think it takes them a while to 'wake up'. Queen wasps will usually only sting if they feel endangered, but who can tell what will make a wasp feel afraid?
            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X