No announcement yet.

Kindle..........can i delay any longer?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use my keyboard to purchase books. I find them from there in the kindle store and download straight to the kindle. I don't do it from my laptop even though I generally find the recommendations on that. I share an account with my husband - this means he pays for my habit! If I try to download from my lappie there's no kindle registered to that account.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Just another way to use up electricity as far as I can see. Give me a good old dog eared smelly book any time. Oh and a library...still free.

Comment

I was holding out too donnak - but a client bought me one for Christmas (!!) and I've got to say I'm loving it totally.

It won't replace a lot of my books, all my gardening reference books for example....for me it's a case of in addition to - not instead of.
        aka
        Suzie

Comment

The BH has bought us both tablet devices - just cheapie ones, not iPads or anything branded. In fact, my is made by a company called......Ainol. Yes, I know.....the Chinese should have researched that a little better - unless it's a deliberate knock on the people who buy such things!

Taking a while to get used to mine, but I'm getting there. BH's has yet to be delivered, much to his annoyance. Mine isn't at all cumbersome or heavy, and I quite like having the screen horizontal for reading ebooks. The screen on mine is 8 inches, but BH has gone for a 10 inch screen so that he can play his awful shoot 'em up games without bugging everybody else in the room or taking over the tv. Absolutely love the touch screen and there are some brilliant free apps out there too - such as a weather station!

It's brilliant. I've downloaded lots of books and even found some by favourite authors published to Kindle that haven't been printed into books. I've read three full size books in a week, reading late into the night, or into the wee small hours, and not disturbing himself with the bedside light! I've also had it propped on it's stand in the kitchen whilst cooking, as I've downloaded some free cookery books.

A wonderful late Christmas gift (or early Valentine's as the BH pointed out)

Jules
          Last edited by julesapple; 08-01-2012, 02:39 PM.
          Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Originally posted by donnakebab View Post
            Just another way to use up electricity as far as I can see. Give me a good old dog eared smelly book any time. Oh and a library...still free.
            I still use my local library, but it is a small one, and when it had a makeover 2 years ago, quite a lot of shelf space was removed to make room for computers.

This means that the book choice is more limited. To request a book from another library costs me £2.10, which I can do online, but still have to cycle or drive there to pick it up.

With my 3G Kindle, I can get a book in seconds from my armchair, including many no longer available from the library, and so many for free.

I love the library, I love second hand bookshops, but I love my Kindle too.
            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
              I still use my local library, but it is a small one, and when it had a makeover 2 years ago, quite a lot of shelf space was removed to make room for computers.

This means that the book choice is more limited. To request a book from another library costs me £2.10, which I can do online, but still have to cycle or drive there to pick it up.

With my 3G Kindle, I can get a book in seconds from my armchair, including many no longer available from the library, and so many for free.

I love the library, I love second hand bookshops, but I love my Kindle too.
              Same here - the local libraries used to be an excellent source of reading for us, but no longer. Our libraries are full of dvds, cds and computers and the staff look at you like you're bonkers if you ask for a book. I thought I was going to have to explain what a book was to one young girl last time I visited!

But like Moth, we too love bookshops, second hand bookshops (Hay on Wye!) and the charity shops for books. We do suffer from the handicap of not being able to get rid of any books we buy, so we are running out of space.....

Jules
              Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Libraries just aren't going to do me much good (apart from finding out whether a certain book or author is what I like). If I like a book I want to be able to read it again any time I like.
                I got a 'kindle-substitute' for Christmas, it came with 100 books pre-loaded, of which probably 30-40 are definitely to my taste. I've since (today) added another 16 FREE old favourites. For taking on holiday, it will suit me just fine, as long as I can get some of my other favourites at affordable prices, and at present the 'new toy' aspect is keeping me amused, but I won't be abandoning the bookshelves!
                Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X