No announcement yet.

Kindle..........can i delay any longer?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am being devils advocate here, I dont like them and am happy with a book, I buy pretty much all reading my books second hand at around 20 -50p each.
    Even at 50p each, thats 178 books I could buy for the price of a kindle and then you still have to purchase the actual reading material on top!!
    (Hasent this thread already been done before, or am I just going mad....no dont answer that )

Comment

Sorry mods if this is becoming another Kindle thread.

I've toyed with the idea a few times, then we bought an Ipad2 and I thought there's no need (I quite like iBooks - I like the page turny thing, and the bookshelf). however, the iPad is quite weighty in comparison as far as I know.

I cleared out our study last week, and looking up at the shelves taken up with Stephen King & James Herbert novels I haven't read for years - I thought that the space could be used far more efficiently for jars, seeds, GYO mags (again of which I have too many of).

It's a space thing for me.
      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

We have boxes of books all over the place; Drives me mad. I would be bereft without my Kindle now!
        There are TONS of free books - you only have to check out the amazon kindle section.

Comment

The geek in me is coming out.

The only books I /can/ read are self-teach books - programming based or programming manuals.. I loose interest in books - despite used to love reading. Sad really!

*pushes the geek back into the closest*

I am making a big effort to read much more to my little one though, she loves books. I think I've said it before, one book that stuck in my head from when I was about 12 was 'Where the Red Fern Grows', I can't wait until she is old enough so I can read her that!

I also, can't read things on a screen - I end up getting side tracked (oh I'll just check my email etc).. so my book shelves in the house are stuffed with programming books. Some are old, and would make great fire material - shame I don't have a wood burner The rest I'm going to get rid of completely (charity shops)..

My wife reads loads and loads - I'm so happy she's joined the local library now, its saving me loads of money

Comment

I'm put off the newest Kindle by the fact that you would be totally reliant on that 'five-way-controller' to do everything - I had a mobile phone like that once, and the 'down' part of the controller stopped working properly (the most used bit!). I'd prefer to have the whole keyboard.

Tablet PCs like iPads and the new Kindle Fire all have the drawback of being back-lit and so you don't get the e-ink/eye-saving features of the ordinary Kindle. Plus, they have touch-screens which don't last forever - my smart-phone's touch screen is becoming noticeable less-responsive after 14 months of use.

So for me, the keyboard/WiFi model of the Kindle looks like the best choice.

Comment

I've been thinking about getting a Kindle for a while, but I haven't managed to convince myself that I need one.

I don't need batteries to read a book I get from the library, and, although I know there are loads of 'free' books, they aren't the ones I'd buy to read. My list seems to only include those where the Kindle version costs more than the paper book.

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
                I am being devils advocate here, I dont like them and am happy with a book, I buy pretty much all reading my books second hand at around 20 -50p each.
                I'm the same and when we're camping I tend to leave my book on my chair so I'd be worried that it would go missing, so for me its just something else I'd have to look after like my phone but that easy because it fits in my pocket.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I love my key board model. I down load books directly from Amazon using the keypad so I'd be lost without it. The real jewel in the crown of Kindle ownership for me is the fact that you can read books by Indie authors. There's some fabulous stuff there. It's changed my life (really - I now proof-read for 4 indie authors!)
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Forgive my ignorance, Flum, but what is an indie author?

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
                      Even at 50p each, thats 178 books I could buy for the price of a kindle and then you still have to purchase the actual reading material on top!!
                      (Hasent this thread already been done before, or am I just going mad....no dont answer that )
                      Yeah, the only reason it tempts me (and not at current prices) is that on holiday, the amount of books I'd like to take would fill over half the luggage space I have available, so it is a 'space' issue for me, but only for holidays!
                      Definitely the price would need to come down... a LOT!
                      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

HayWayne don't you have an ipad which is a kindle on steroids? That's what I am craving - an ipad, my kingdom for an ipad.
                        Still like books in my hand and I love to read whilst curled up - I can'd do that with my iphone - let alone a kindle or an ipad.
                        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Don't do it snadge!

I refuse to have one as I like the smell of books .. I go into book stores and sniff them. My husband thinks I am a bit odd but my mum does it as well.

I did see a dog lick one when I was in the vets like that one on the advert does.
                          Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                            Still like books in my hand and I love to read whilst curled up - I can'd do that with my iphone - let alone a kindle or an ipad.
                            Why not? I read curled up with my phone? (Hmmm, that sounds odd, but can't think how else to word it... )

I like 'real' books too Piggle, and have a house full of them. But the Kindle is 'as well', not 'instead of'. Plus, if we print less real books, perhaps the wood could be used as a sustainable fuel instead?

Patchninja - an 'indie' author is an independent author, publishing straight to Kindle with no middle man/men required.

Comment

Thank you for the explanation.
                              I too read all curled up with my kindle.

Comment

Originally posted by Piggle View Post
                                Don't do it snadge!

I refuse to have one as I like the smell of books .. I go into book stores and sniff them. My husband thinks I am a bit odd but my mum does it as well.

I did see a dog lick one when I was in the vets like that one on the advert does.
                                Didn't realise sniffing books was a hereditary trait! You'll just have to get a 'scratch and sniff' app for the kindle/iPad!
                                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X