No announcement yet.

Keeping feet on the ground now.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I spent 23 years jumpiong out of them, so landing is still an unusual experience.
    Statistically its the safest form of motorised travel, fact.

I fly in anything from great big double decker things to little 6 seaters and I'm just soooooo bored of it, but, there was just one time, flying from Dubai to Kabul on Ariana airlines (The Afghan national airline) into an airport that still doesnt have radar, with visibilty down to less than about 50ft, though the large mountain range that surrounds the place, I must confess to having had the slightest amount of worry.
    As was said above though, the pilot wants to go home just as much as I do.
    Bob Leponge
    Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

An idea worth trying would be to travel with someone scareder than you are (or someone only a bit scared but legitimately looking to you for support, eg a child). Having to reassure them will take your mind off your own fears!
      It was a totally different fear, but rather longer ago than I care to contemplate, a group of young teenage girls (including me) were sort of assistants in charge of several small girls sleeping in a large hall (sort of indoor camping) when a terrific thunderstorm started. Quite a few of the little ones were scared; so were some older ones, but too busy with the little ones to BE scared. We hit on the 'teddybear' plan. We managed to find enough cuddly toys to give one to each scared child (who says 15 is too old for teddy bears!), and told them teddy was afraid of thunder and needed looking after. It worked like magic!
      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Thanks all, very reassuring and I know flying is safest form of travel but thats the trouble with fears and phobias , they're irrational. It's a shame cos on the way out the flight was absolutely fine but it was much bigger plane ( sorry don't know names of these things). It's the turbulance full stop that does it. Being thrown around like that and not being in control. OH says he watches the stewardesses faces and if they are still smiling everything is OK.
        I didn't see anything. Eyes were tightly shut and loudest music I could find was blasting out of my iphone. I wil sort this cos I dont want it to stop me going to lovely places but lovely OH has said lets explore this country next year. We're fed up with beach holidays anyway! Then trip to GP for some knock out happy pills for the journey.
        Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

Come down to Cornwall. luvvie! We'll look after you down here!
          When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

OK in planes, rubbish as a passenger in cars. I spent most of yesterdays journey back from Dorset alternating between watching all the traffic like a hawk and squeezing my eyes shut. I seem to get worse as I get older too
            WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Have to say I'm not a good passenger either and much happier behind the wheel. I was never so happy to be driving even though it was 3am when I got off that plane.

Comment

Originally posted by Creemteez View Post
                Come down to Cornwall. luvvie! We'll look after you down here!
                Aaaah thanks. We love Cornwall and this has just been a decider to explore our beautiful country a bit more.

Comment

Glad I'm not alone Ladies - I do most of the driving if we go anywhere - I'm a lousy passenger, too.
                  All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                  Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I have to be a good passenger (in the car) because OH is world's worst (well, probably equal with several others) and applies brakes that aren't there, which I find distracting. Probably made worse by him having taught me to drive, but he's pretty bad whoever is driving.
                    Must admit that I can be pretty critical of his driving these days; it worries me when he zooms up behind something ready to overtake. On motorways there is no need for this, you can pull out if there is nothing coming up behind you, and if there is something, you shouldn't be approaching the one in front so fast anyway!
                    Those who have never driven are often better passengers, because they don't know about possible problems....
                    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X