No announcement yet.

My life, in Powerpoint

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've nothing to add to all this Wayne, just good luck, I know you can do it.
    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Tall
      Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

I have sat through many of these recruiting staff - one guy stood head and shoulders above the rest, and it was about personalisation.

I wouldn't do a 'life story' because it's boring (sorry) and it's not what you are about.

I would do a 'what i am about' presentation;

Heading 'what is xxx all about' - this is about me, I am going to tell you how I am, what is important to me, how I have become the person I am today standing here, looking to work with you.

Second slide; someone parachuting? Am I about this? No - I don't like adrenaline rushes (if you are going for a job in insurance) - Am I about this? HELL YES! If you are going for a job as parachute instructor.

I would put some time into 'people who have influenced me' - Mrs such and such from school? She taught me that xxxx - grandad and the allotment? - 'my focus in life (kids/family/providing security/being seen as reliable)............ Things I am passionate about - frogs? Tour de France? Potholing? Doesn't matter really, talk about something with enthusiasm............ My favourite film/book/dessert/place to travel............ what I would take to a desert island.......... my most irritating habit (being tirelessly cheerful in the morning - drives co-workers nuts).............

Anything that is chatty, smiley happy, entertaining, informal, and informative. I wouldn't do a 'I was born on xxx at xxx and went to school at xxxxx. Because they have your cv, and it isn't what they are looking for - they want 'the scariest moment of my life to date took place on a train in the Punjabe - or in a tent in Swansea or whatever else occurs to you.

That's what I'd do.

*usual disclaimers apply - this is only my opinion*
        Last edited by Corris; 02-08-2011, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Ok, so slide one is an animated timeline of my life - with the things that have impacted significantly on my life illustrated by photos/logos.

Slide two - a worldwide map of the places I've been.

Slide three a "mind map" of words showing things that are important to me. Words in largest font meaning most (think keyword tag cloud)

Slide four - lists of words people might use to describe me (though I might get rid of this slide - it seems a bit contrived).

Slide five - a series of "humorous" photos of me in small cars, stood next to signs etc.

Slide six - a bucket list slide, images to depict the things I'd like to do.

Slide seven - some quotes taken from my LinkedIn page of people recommending me (serious face).

Slide eight - nothing yet.

Thanks for all the comments. Fingers crossed.

One thing they have specified is that they want to see more of my (and other candidate) personality. They have said that the CV and first interview gave them a good insight into professional abilities - but culture fit is key in their organisation, and they are keen to employ someone with a good sense of humour.

I'm bummoxed!
          A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Sounds like it's coming together anyway.

Comment

Perhaps I should apply - I have a good sense of humour - not my fault no one else understands me! LOL

Sounds like a lot of hoops to jump through to get a job, and probably why I am unemployable! I imagine, in current times with the amount of people searching for jobs, this interview technique is the best way to go.

Good luck with it, fingers crossed!
              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Wayne Wayne Wayne Wayne Wayne.

*Shakes head.

You are a naturally funny guy - don't be too contrived; if it's personality they want then they could look no further. Well, they can't as you would block out the sun - natch.

I have absolutely no doubt sunshine that your GSOH will shine through.....on top of your talent, empathy and professionalism - they'd be mad not to snap you up. Gottit?

Comment

How about places? a map showing places important to you? born? Uni? Met your wife? Kids born? First holiday with no parents 'best not talk about that too much'......... list of locations?

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                    Sounds like a lot of hoops to jump through to get a job, and probably why I am unemployable! I imagine, in current times with the amount of people searching for jobs, this interview technique is the best way to go.
                    To be honest I'm not at all convinced that it is a good interview technique but there's not a lot you can do about that when the interviewers dictate what they want in such a structured way. I've done an amount of interviewing over the years and found that by far the best ones for finding out what the person is acutally like are the the ones where you can talk and find out about them that way. A lot of the ones where the candidate has been told to do something in particular have led to quite a false atmosphere with the candidate saying what they think you want to hear. Not good for either side as you run the risk of employing somebody who isn't who you thought they were and who is having to pretend to be something they're not. Upshot is be honest with the sort of person you are, if you're not and get the job you'll never be happy in it.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                      Wayne Wayne Wayne Wayne Wayne.

*Shakes head.

You are a naturally funny guy - don't be too contrived; if it's personality they want then they could look no further. Well, they can't as you would block out the sun - natch.

I have absolutely no doubt sunshine that your GSOH will shine through.....on top of your talent, empathy and professionalism - they'd be mad not to snap you up. Gottit?
                      Quoted cos this needs repeating!

You are funny, smart, loveable, brave and honest. Don't you DARE sell yourself short big fella or you will have me to answer to as well as Zaz!
                      WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by Corris View Post
                        How about places? a map showing places important to you? born? Uni? Met your wife? Kids born? First holiday with no parents 'best not talk about that too much'......... list of locations?
                        Incorporated in slide two. I'll cover it in greater detail when I speak about the key places (not all, because there are too many).

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                          To be honest I'm not at all convinced that it is a good interview technique but there's not a lot you can do about that when the interviewers dictate what they want in such a structured way. I've done an amount of interviewing over the years and found that by far the best ones for finding out what the person is acutally like are the the ones where you can talk and find out about them that way. A lot of the ones where the candidate has been told to do something in particular have led to quite a false atmosphere with the candidate saying what they think you want to hear. Not good for either side as you run the risk of employing somebody who isn't who you thought they were and who is having to pretend to be something they're not. Upshot is be honest with the sort of person you are, if you're not and get the job you'll never be happy in it.
                          This is part of what attracts me to the job more than the one I have, and to a certain extent more than the one I lost out on (although culture fit was key for them too). The MD (guy I'll be reporting to) stated during the first interview that it's a two-way thing, in that the job/place has to be right for me, along with me for the job/place. The fact that they are keen to find out about personalities before employing people says a lot about their ethos.

My current job is a little bit too "corporate" and less personable in many places - something a "personable" person like me find difficult.

Plus, more money, holiday, less hours is always welcomed.

On another note - I woke up at 3:45am this morning, started to think about ideas for the presentation and that was it, wide awake until Bean came through to us at 5:30.

Thanks for all the kind words people - you guys are great!

Good thing is, I think a decision will be made on the day - so shouldn't have to wait too long.
                          Last edited by HeyWayne; 03-08-2011, 07:10 AM.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

By the way - when I say presentation I'm not talking Al Gore on global warming (though my graphics and pointers will be on par), it's just me - the MD and the incumbent marketing manager (whom I'll be replacing) in a room, sat round my laptop - possibly with a projector. Nothing grand.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

You'll be great I'm sure - I too woke thinking about your presentation (I REALLY need to get out more!) and thought it was more 'anecdotes and best man's speech' they were looking for than 'formal recitation of life history'. But couldn't get any further than that really. Thank goodness it's not me that has to do it!

Comment

Originally posted by Corris View Post
                                You'll be great I'm sure - I too woke thinking about your presentation (I REALLY need to get out more!) and thought it was more 'anecdotes and best man's speech' they were looking for than 'formal recitation of life history'. But couldn't get any further than that really. Thank goodness it's not me that has to do it!
                                Nothing formal about my delivery...;-)

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X