Long Range Weather Forecast

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Range Weather Forecast

Has anybody heard or read a long range weather forecast for spring and summer? Normally there are amateur forecasters giving their predictions for the weather in the summer but I haven't seen any. Next week they expect the temperature to drop to -6 where I live and also snow in the country in March but I want to know if we can expect a decent summer.
    [

There was something on the BBC a few months ago where they were talking about sea temperatures and how they affect our weather here in the UK. Based on their numbers we were due for a hard winter this year? So far they have been wrong. I suppose we will just have to sit tight and wait?
    Everyone seems to be saying this summer will be mixed temperatures but dryer than a decade ago with drought problems up and down the country.
    In 1976 when there was a hose pipe ban nation wide, Wales was also included in the ban even though we would have had enough water in Wales to carry on using our hoses. I know this for a fact because I used to work for Welsh Water (Hyder) before it was turned into a "not for profit" company (the only one in the UK). Now all profits are plowed back into fixing their own leaking pipelines that are the causes for 95% of all water lost each year.
    Jax

Comment

Not heard anything so far about the predicted summer forcast, but I looked at the forcast for this coming friday and Yahoo says it's going to be -1 and the BBC -10!!! bit of a difference to say the least!! No doubt as we get nearer the day it will become more accurate, but it makes quite a difference to us regarding care of our plants - especially those of you with greenhouses! Who gives them their information, and how can it be so different?? Time will tell I suppose. Who do others find gives the most accurate prediction? I used to have a book with folk lore predictions, I'll have to see if I can find it
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

We have had a mild winter, which means we could have some wonderful blossom this spring. We have also had alot of rain, traditionally this means that we are in for a dry summer, so folk lore decrees.
        Best wishes
        Andrewo
        Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Andrewo - Mild winter?? Not where we live!!
          [

Comment

Looks like we are getting the snow first! From 6pm tonight - severe weather warnings for considerable amounts. Should put paid to the early daffodils and buds on the fuschia.

Some of my crofting friends here use the agricultural long range forecasts which appear to be quite good for both weekly and longer term. Will see if I can find a link.
            ~
            Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Jennie the forecast I saw this morning was for 5-10 inches of snow. It never snows here but as the wind will be westerly we should get some during the week. Our daffodils are still not in flower - just spikey green leaves starting to show.
              [

Comment

We had snow today, with more forecast for the whole of this week - temperature estimates for tonight range from -2 to -8 - take your pick.
                This winter has been extremely mild -and dry - up here, but I think we are about to get maybe a week or two of pretty poor weather.
                We'll just have to wait and see
                Rat
                Rat

British by birth
                Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Anyone recall weatherlore/ folklore sayings about long range forcasts? The only one I can recall is ....March.....In like a lamb, out like a lion
                  In like a lion , out like a lamb.

Well tomorrow is 1st March so we shall see!!!
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Woke this morning to 5 inches of snow and it has snowed more or less all day too - just what you want when it's a day when you are doing a job that more or less requires minimum amount of movement all day - lost contact with my fingers at about 10 am and my toes at about three this afternoon.
                    Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - and tomorrow and Thursday are forecast to be worse than today !
                    Rat
                    Rat

British by birth
                    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

here you go folks. A whole site full of sayings

http://www.coldal.org/weather.htm
                      ntg
                      Never be afraid to try something new.
                      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                      ==================================================

Comment

I think the one

'The smooth days of January will be paid for in February and March!'

Is sort of apt
                        ntg
                        Never be afraid to try something new.
                        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                        ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos
                          Anyone recall weatherlore/ folklore sayings about long range forcasts? The only one I can recall is ....March.....In like a lamb, out like a lion
                          In like a lion , out like a lamb.

Well tomorrow is 1st March so we shall see!!!
                          We started something like this back in september. here is the link http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...hread.php?t=48 Hope it helps?
                          Jax

Comment

Nick that site is good. They keep saying "Mackerel Skies" - What is a mackerel sky?
                            [

Comment

its when the clouds are in stripes like on a mackerel (i think?)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X