Am I Missing Something?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
    When my sister was in isolation, before going to see her, we had to wash our hands a total of 4 times before getting to her room, hibiscrub plus the alcohol hand gel...

When my OH was in hospital (he died of leukemia) in Intensive Care, we had to use this stuff every time we went through any doors and there were several. I had an interesting chat with one of his nurses at about 2 am one night. My step-daughter had complained to me about my having a book or crossword with me whilst next to him in a sterile environment. Have you ever sat next to someone in a coma all day every day. Much as I loved him I don't do boredom.

The nurse said it was a directive brought in by the government meant to prevent some of the superbugs, but it was pretty ineffective as more germs came in on peoples shoes than on their hands and they didn't have to sterilise those.
    "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
    "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
    Oxfordshire

Comment

Originally posted by JanieB View Post
      The nurse said it was a directive brought in by the government meant to prevent some of the superbugs, but it was pretty ineffective as more germs came in on peoples shoes than on their hands and they didn't have to sterilise those.
      Yep, very ineffective considering we were wearing our street clothes/shoes etc, and didn't have masks/hairnets etc.

She was in pressurised isolation, and had little clean/dirty hatches for medicine, food, waste etc; but we could go in after washing our hands, with normal clothes, shoes, my handbag, a bag full of 'approved' items etc for her.... I never quite understood where the handwashing came into it; when I handed over a Sainsbury's bag full of food to her!!

Comment

I think the "super bugs" have come about because of the over-use of antibiotics rather than poor hygiene practices.

Comment

Microfibre cloths for me and Fairy do most of the jobs.No fancy cleaning stuff.I hate the smell of bleach.
          I've got one chopping board for everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
            Well you also have to take into consideration that little boys will sometimes wee on themselves and dry their hands in the towel without having washed them, contaminating the towel for all other clean hands!

When I first saw this advert, the first thing to cross my mind was what muppet approved such a stupid invention. Like you I believed a soap bar or dispenser dispensing soap is not going to cause you a problem when you are then washing your hands. Not sure how this sits with the alcohol stuff they use in hospitals, which you don't then wash off?
            Do you have a confession to make?
            I remember asking a small boy if he'd washed his hands after he went to the loo and he replied 'they're dry now' clearly meaning exactly what you said!
            Www.chicorychildrenandchickens.wordpress.com

Comment

I had never even thought of the "wee boy" scenario ! (But I was brought up in a house where you left the seat down, and just aimed properly...)
              Anyway, it's not the soap dispenser, it's not the tap.
              When I leave a public restroom, it is always with a Homer-like "Doh!" feeling that I reach the door and realise - some dirty b%^&*er will have walked out without washing their hands, and everyone who has washed their hands has to use the same door handle to get out...and of course nowadays it's all air dryers, so there are rarely paper towels handy.
              There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Originally posted by snohare View Post
                I had never even thought of the "wee boy" scenario ! (But I was brought up in a house where you left the seat down, and just aimed properly...)
                Anyway, it's not the soap dispenser, it's not the tap.
                When I leave a public restroom, it is always with a Homer-like "Doh!" feeling that I reach the door and realise - some dirty b%^&*er will have walked out without washing their hands, and everyone who has washed their hands has to use the same door handle to get out...and of course nowadays it's all air dryers, so there are rarely paper towels handy.
                Wee is not where the bacteria come from! It certainly is 'unappealing' but most unlikely to be infectious.
                Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Apologies for the ad at the start - but this seems somewhat appropriate to the thread topic.
                  YouTube - Dara O'Briain on bacteria - Live at the Apollo - BBC

Dara Ó Briain = genius.

Truly people have lost their MINDS about bacteria.

Comment

Dobbie's new local garden Centre. Toilets have automatic taps, automatic soap dispensers, these fabbie hurricane type hand dryers and then you have to open the door manually after the last git went out without even washing his hands.

Comment

You know ....... sometimes it really does not do to dwell on these things, if we did life would become very dull and very stressful. + +

Just keep the upset tummy cures close to hand! lol
                      Last edited by Headfry; 26-04-2011, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Poddington Pea View Post
                        They also say you have to use 'single use' hand towel to prevent cross-contamination, very odd, because you'll be using the towel AFTER washing your hands.
                        Our son (now 36!) used to reckon at University he only needed to take one towel with hime, because you only use it AFTER you have washed so it should never need washing itself! I don't think he's still like that, but he's somebody else's problem now!
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                          Dobbie's new local garden Centre. Toilets have automatic taps, automatic soap dispensers, these fabbie hurricane type hand dryers and then you have to open the door manually after the last git went out without even washing his hands.
                          I hate those hurricane type hand dryers, you have to put your hands in them about 15 times before you end up giving up and drying your hands on the back of your jeans anyway, they just don't work. Mind you they are marginally better than the normal hand dryers which are a total waste of puff.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I agree, a totally pointless invention...wait til my air-conditioned car boot invention takes off...
                            <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

I don't need any of this rubbish, 1950s street urchin full of antibodies, germs land on me and die.

Colin
                              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X