Long grass = moaning neighbours

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi

You would think it has nothing to do with the neighbours but I think it may have something to do with the layout of the area- ie Cul de sac with open fronts no fences etc. Its a good while back now but one of my friends got a bunch of snotty letters from the council demanding that the front was kept tidy. Some of the neighbours had been moaning to them. Now believe me, this guy would have left it to spite them if he could and would have found out his rights, however he did have to cut it in the end even though it was his own property.

Stinks but its true! However if you leave it to run to seed, make sure you get the seeds to blow in the direction of those who moaned.

Dave
    Fantasy reminds us that the soul is sane but the universe is wild and full of marvels

http://thefrontyardblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Mine is incredibly long at the moment, its almost 9mm in length. Not to worry tomorrow is a bank holiday so it won't reach 10.

Stand by your borders.............attention!!!
      I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Our neighbours dont bother with theirs - and the nettles grow nearly as high as the fence. They made a bit more of an effort with the front last year but I dont moan... I just dont spend any time looking at it! I like mine neatish though...!
        Last edited by Jelliebabe; 21-04-2011, 03:00 PM.
        http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Comment

If your wildflower meadow is producing any of the officially unacceptable weeds (can't remember the correct term, or which they are) then it MAY be possible for people (eg council) to require that you deal with it. If your property is rented, the owner might have a right to insist. Otherwise, I don't think they actually have any right. If it was once a council house, there just might be a restrictive covenant dating from when it was sold (which is the only possibility I can imagine with the 'open plan' front gardens issue), because without some such situation, I don't see how they can insist that you keep it open plan at all?).
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
            to keep the peace I am going to cut the long bit
            Yes, definitely make it look designed, by mowing around it. Otherwise you might find people dumping their old fridges & cars in your front yard
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

We have no lawn at all (it's all flower beds with bark paths or vegetable beds!) but there is a bit in the back garden which is Himself's flower meadow. It's cut in July and again in October. We mow a path through it which makes it look like it's being looked after. He has fritillary, betony, saw-wort, cowslip and common spotted orchid in there (and several choice wild grasses, I'm told!).

A mown path will make it look deliberate rather than neglected. Stick to your guns. I's YOUR garden!
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thankyou all for your support. I relented and cut the longer bit but I am keeping my square bit long. Its not ex council or even cul de sac. Its one road through the middle of no where and everyones front garden is different. Just lots of old people with nothing else to do.
                http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jamiesjourney

Please give blood and if possible please give bone marrow.

SAVE LIVES TODAY

Subscriber to the mojo mailing list

Comment

What's a lawn? :-)
                  "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
                  "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                  Oxfordshire

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
                    Just lots of old people with nothing else to do.
                    Sounds like our next door neighbours!

They are retired, and their lawn looks like a bowling green, and the hedges are clipped to within an inch of their life....

But they never use their garden They never go out and sit in it, or seem to enjoy it from outside the house...

If the old guy from next door is outside the front, I will always get a snide comment from him about the garden, and he has even commented to some of our visitors (including my mum, who was house sitting for us) that he thinks we shouldn't have the house and garden, as we can't look after it properly, i.e. in a complete regimented fashion....

I say, pooh! My garden is a freeform expression of nature, so there!

Comment

This used to cause friction with our neighbours (we both react badly hayfever wise to cutting the grass whereas hers is always neat and tidy). After a few years I got around to tidying it a bit, but mostly making areas as people have suggested, which helped no end.

It's looking weedy again now but that's mostly because I can't go out and weed because of all the cat poo and me being pregnant atm. Hoping she won't mind the thistles too much on our gravel! Think I might need to look into having the front drive redone next year though - see if that can sort it out...

Neighbours can be strange beasts.

Comment

Neighbours........ ppfffft!
                        Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

If God had meant me to bend over, she'd have sprinkled the floor with diamonds.

Comment

I've managed to keep most of the little flowers by cutting it as long as possible. Neighbours can be such a pain, however wouldnt want to live with no neighbours and to be honest they are the best neighbours I've ever had. So I just try and find a middle ground with them and their funny little ways
                          http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jamiesjourney

Please give blood and if possible please give bone marrow.

SAVE LIVES TODAY

Subscriber to the mojo mailing list

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X