No announcement yet.

Gardeners World

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watched this week and thought the best part was Carole's visit to that very interesting garden in Harlow.

We're watching the Geoff Hamilton DVDs again, we do it every year, just to see whether there's any other good ideas or practical things I can do to make gardening easier for ourselves AND to get a few ideas from his more in-depth interviews with some of the old time gardeners.

Some parts look rather dated - like the 1980/1990s fashions - but they're still great gardening programmes.

And no hi-tech, it's all this is how you do things (can be a bit repetative with path-laying in all three series) but it's the ideas, the plant mixes and his presentation that still makes it worthwhile.
    TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
      leaf mould would get most of what you need, if not all.
      That's good to hear! I am finally able to use my leafmold for seed sowing, after 2 years rotting down in bags. Every autumn I fill a black sack or 2 a day from the cycle lane (and bike it home, it's well heavy). The council don't bother clearing the leaves up and they're a real hazard to bikes when they're wet or icy.

Because it's not sterile and full of weed seeds, I'm using it in the bottom half of my pots, with sterile mpc on the top half
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        Because it's not sterile and full of weed seeds
        Microwave it? A bowl full on full power for 10 minutes was what I read, but I reckon it might catch fire "cooked" for that long!
        K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Well I watched it again on Friday, but I think that's it, I was very disappointed.
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
            Well I watched it again on Friday, but I think that's it, I was very disappointed.
            Another disappointed here, I watched it on iPlayer opened in a second window while reading the vine with the intention of clicking full screen in an interesting bit came along, but that never happened.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I find it very dull, watching it doest want make me want to get out there and do some gardening. Re-watching Geoff Hamiltons Ornimental Kitchen Garden over the winter made me yearn for the good weather so i could get outside.

Comment

No, it wasn't up to much.

Roll on Titch's new ITV gardening show...
                The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

I wonder why we are not impressed with the gardening programs these days? Even after a presenter change we still find them a little on the 'tired' side.

Comment

I think that, like many of the recent science and history programmes, they're trying to cater to viewers that have the attention span of a gnat (whether or not such viewers actually exist - the broadcasters have got it into their heads that they do, and need to be wooed). It doesn't work because gardening just isn't like that.
                    The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

Originally posted by Headfry View Post
                      I wonder why we are not impressed with the gardening programs these days? Even after a presenter change we still find them a little on the 'tired' side.
                      I saw beechgrove last night, enjoyed it. I enjoyed it alot more as I paused it on Sky+ then fast fowarded through the non GYO stuff
                      "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

GW can be improved in one fell swoop- just make it have 1 presenter in whatever garden you like and have him/her show us tips and jobs for this week for 30 minutes- 15 for ornamentals and 15 for edibles. No fancy visits to Lord and Lady Snooty's 458 acre garden or Joe visiting someone to tell them their Cordyline is not dead, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvan View Post
                          I think that, like many of the recent science and history programmes, they're trying to cater to viewers that have the attention span of a gnat (whether or not such viewers actually exist - the br.....
                          Sorry - I trailed off there, can you repeat that last bit?

I haven't watched GW for ages now. Sounds like I can't afford to.
                          A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X