No announcement yet.

Wallpapering with Postcards?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow Jules, I think that's looking completely fabulous. I adore those sorts of images (and had no idea you could buy them as postcards). What a brilliant idea!

Comment

Well, I am all out of postycards with 1¼ walls to go.....another 400 cards on order!

Jules

Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Wow that looks amazing well done
        Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

Wow! That looks fantastic!!! Very colourful, great idea for the smallest room.
          Bet the postcard supplier is wondering what you are doing with all those postcards!
          http://365daysinthegarden2011.blogspot.com/

url]http://clairescraftandgarden.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

Love it - simply gorgeous.

Comment

Jules.....Do you have a link for where you've bought them from????
              They really do look brill!

just wondering ....do you have a favourite one???
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                Jules.....Do you have a link for where you've bought them from???? They really do look brill! Just wondering ....do you have a favourite one???
                I got the two boxes of Penguin postcards for Christmas, but I bought the box of Puffin postcards from Amazon. In fact, all of the boxes came from there. I've got more on order.....I need another 4 boxes.

Amazon.co.uk: Penguin postcards

I like quite a few of them, but my favourite is probably Swallows & Amazons. It has such great memories linked to it.

Jules
                Jules

Comment

Not sure if you decided on what to seal them with but have you considered Shellac, its a natural product and will work on most surfaces and is a great sealant.

Also can be used to give a slightly aged effect to the cards if thats what you want.

Looking good.
                  I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
                    Not sure if you decided on what to seal them with but have you considered Shellac, its a natural product and will work on most surfaces and is a great sealant.

Also can be used to give a slightly aged effect to the cards if thats what you want.

Looking good.
                    I've bought some decoupage stuff called ModPodge. It's American and is highly recommended. It dries clear with a matte finish. It arrived today and I'm going to have a try shortly. I'm hoping, as this stuff is basically a glue, that it will tame the few sticky up edges I've got.

Shellac would have been lovely, especially for the aged effect, but it's quite a dark room already.

This morning I've been poring over the vintage maps we're using for wallpaper in the bathroom. They are truly fascinating, I can't believe just how much places have changed in the last 60 years or so. On one map I found a village called Norton, just a few miles from me and yet, now, there is no trace of this village. Not even in road names. Just amazing. How can places disappear?

Jules
                    Jules

Comment

Haven't seen this post before but that looks fantastic!

I was going to suggest laminating them and creating "tiles" that can be wiped down (being a practical sort), but I think the overall effect would have been inferior to yours. Looks great.
                      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Wow, that's amazing! What a good idea and one I will surely steal once I have a house of my own

Comment

Originally posted by buzzingtalk View Post
                          Wow, that's amazing! What a good idea and one I will surely steal once I have a house of my own
                          Why not build a house with all the leftover book innards that will undoubtedly be available once this craze really gets going.
                          A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                            Why not build a house with all the leftover book innards that will undoubtedly be available once this craze really gets going.
                            I'm having a hard time already trying to convince myself that I have to deface the maps to get them on the wall...can't put the covers on, they're too bulky. I'm not sure I could ever wilfully destroy a book. Hence the postcards. I guess you could shred and compost book innards?

Other things that would look good are;

Vintage postcards in sepia or black & white
                            Sheet music
                            Old books (children's, encyclopaedias, cookery etc etc etc)
                            Handmade paper
                            Printed paper napkins
                            The Financial Times or old newspapers
                            Vintage greetings cards (aagghh! threw out 100 of 40's, 50's & 60's card when Nan died)
                            Vintage gardening books or magazines.
                            Beermats (these would be insulating too as they are dense)

The choice is endless, choose a theme or mix'n'match. Pick up the ball and run.......

I haven't been very green with my postcards as they are all new, but the maps are repurposed. That's the latest buzzword - repurposed.

Jules
                            Last edited by julesapple; 07-03-2011, 01:37 PM.
                            Jules

Comment

Originally posted by julesapple View Post
                              I'm having a hard time already trying to convince myself that I have to deface the maps to get them on the wall...can't put the covers on, they're too bulky. I'm not sure I could ever wilfully destroy a book. Hence the postcards. I guess you could shred and compost book innards?

Other things that would look good are;

Vintage postcards in sepia or black & white
                              Sheet music
                              Old books (children's, encyclopaedias, cookery etc etc etc)
                              Handmade paper
                              Printed paper napkins
                              The Financial Times or old newspapers
                              Vintage greetings cards (aagghh! threw out 100 of 40's, 50's & 60's card when Nan died)
                              Vintage gardening books or magazines.
                              Beermats (these would be insulating too as they are dense)

The choice is endless, choose a theme or mix'n'match. Pick up the ball and run.......

I haven't been very green with my postcards as they are all new, but the maps are repurposed. That's the latest buzzword - repurposed.

Jules
                              If you use a digital camera to copy the maps, you won't need to deface the originals! I'd be a lot more bothered using old maps for that sort of purpose, afer all, they aren't being made any more....
                              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Nope, old maps aren't being made any more, but they were fairly mass produced and most of mine were found languishing in plastic boxes in second-hand book stores or junk shops, getting tattier by the minute. I bought 10 from a chap in Hay who admitted that he was just going to take the maps down to the tip if they hadn't sold within the next few weeks.

I had thought about copying some postcards, but I'm not sure the computer printed stuff would stand up to the paste - it would ruin the photo paper's finish and possibly make the ink run. Spray adhesive might be better for copied images. Also, I wonder how much ink it would take to cover a wall in decent quality copied images? I guess it would be worth it if you wanted to use very special pictures etc where the original was irreplaceable.

Jules
                                Jules

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X