Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New windows - one not quite right.. what would you do?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate those 'only the top opens' type windows. Tolerable on a bungalow perhaps, but how would you get out from upstairs if there was a fire? That is just my personal taste.
    That said, I would get it replaced AND ask for something for the inconvenience. We've had safestyle salesmen, and their 'initial' price that you get discount from is inflated to allow the discount (or so it appears to me)!
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

If you think it looks odd, chances are others will think so too. It could be an issue if you decide to sell up and move on and could well lose you a sale.

Comment

I would have it replaced...it would annoy me everytime I saw it...I had windows put in and they put the frosted/etched glass in the windows and toilet and in the bathroom but you could see that one was running vertcal and the other horizontal I tried to ignore it but it really grated on me and I had them back to change it so now they both run horizontal

Comment

Wot Dottie said!
          Bob Leponge
          Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
            I hate those 'only the top opens' type windows. Tolerable on a bungalow perhaps, but how would you get out from upstairs if there was a fire? That is just my personal taste.
            That said, I would get it replaced AND ask for something for the inconvenience. We've had safestyle salesmen, and their 'initial' price that you get discount from is inflated to allow the discount (or so it appears to me)!
            Our top dormer window is a safety/fire exit window that appears the same but opens out fully to get onto a sloping roof. I'm also thinking about buying one of those emergency ladders that just clip onto [bolts/etc] and roll down. I'd jump personally, but with a toddler, and a preggo wife that's not possible.

Fire is something that bothers me - our bedroom is across the landing and around a corner from the other bedrooms... if there was a fire there I'd not be able to get to the other bedrooms. We already have a fireblanket and two extinguishers - but I'm thinking of getting more for upstairs, or at least getting someone in to suggest what else I can do.

Safestyle are a*******s. Full stop, and their 'top spec' windows that we had aren't that 'great'.

We've had the others (bar the front ones and front door) from a local company that uses the same manufacturers that supply large firms, such as dunraven etc - as it's a small firm I was able to get a no-bs answer from him about safestyles windows (and claimed glass pap). Had the same (argon filled glass/frames) for ~20% of the price that we got safestyle down to.

They really annoyed me, quoted me £550 as an absolute lowest price (got it for £160 from this local company in the end) - and said I should take into consideration that the windows are made in Bradford, and then they have to transport it to me in Wales.. I couldn't careless I said, and then he went on (this is the regional sales manager btw!) about how they need to turn over £1m/week to meet costs and he cant' do it any lower. Loads of pestering calls later drove me over the edge. Went straight to the top, and managed to get a directors mobile number after an extremely detailed letter (special delivery), copied via email - sent every day until I had a reply (only took 5 days ).... spoke to him and volia, all my problems gone. Was offered pretty much free back windows (we only had the front done originally) - no chance in hell would I have used them again, explained this to him and he was a bit upset about this, and didn't want us to complain about their company as they can't afford to have more complaints (doesn't that say something!!!) blah blah blah blah. ZZZZzz - 2 mins later I hung up. Not heard anything else from them, so I'm pleased we're through with them. My original thoughts were such a large company MUST be able to beat local prices - how wrong was I? Well, I guess you live and learn.

Perhaps that should have gone in the rant thread

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
            If you think it looks odd, chances are others will think so too. It could be an issue if you decide to sell up and move on and could well lose you a sale.
            Indeed, that was my final thought - I went around the estate and they're all (bar one or two houses) 1/2 openers so decided to get it replaced. One house has someone similar to ours and it looks really odd - esp on the corner view. (that house is on a corner).The other one are completely different windows and it takes away from the look of the house. You can't see it on ours as we've a detached garage that would stop you standing on the corner (we're an end plot with a wall all around our boundary anyway - but if anyone did). Still, peace of mind, and all that. The top opener for this window is a standard drop, so they can reuse the opener and glass, so at least that's some wastage saved.

Again, thank you all for the views, appreciated. I just know myself, and despite the mrs saying I'm only getting it changed to spite her (heh arguments ) I'm happy as I just know I'd think years down the line we should have done it. Would rather do so now whilst we've 'paid' already for it as Dottie says - you never know how your circumstances will change in the future. Cheers!

Comment

I'd go with whatever your missus wants.......after all they are always right...............well mine is..........
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X