Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New windows - one not quite right.. what would you do?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Um, all my windows are old sash ones and the kitchen one is completely different to all the others....

We can't have normal windows as any replacements that we have need to be exactly the same as the ones we take out...so for double glazed they would all have to be custom made - probably about £1k each.

So, I'd just be happy for some decent windows - and going from 1/2 opening to 1/3 - really wouldn't bother me!

If the rain comes from the west, we get running water on the sills and it can drip so loud that it wakes me up....so I then have to put a towel on the sill to soak it up.

I'd be cock a hoop with those in the photos!

Comment

When I have a problem with windows I often find that just turning the PC off and then on again fixes it

Sorry, couldn't resist, I'll get me coat
      There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Get a mac

Interesting zaz - is that in the lease/freehold/deeds/terms/whatever? Ouch @ £1k mind.

Our initial quote was for £22k (from safestyle). Baadddd company. Will never EVER use them again. Thankfully a local company could match the front of the house we had done with them. (We got them down from 22k -> 4k for the front). If we'd have gone with this local company it'd have cost us 5k for the whole house - aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Comment

Just think of how many packets of seeds you can buy with £150.

Comment

Take the money as G4 says and give it to your OH for a treat. If it's out of sight it should soon be out of mind.
            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Like Binley our windows don't all match, the front has matching new upvc windows, the side window is original from 1880's when the house was built. It gets interesting at the back of the house there's 2 matching painted brown, one hard wood, one pine then one upvc plus a couple of doors that are both different can't say its ever bothered me, they all open close and lock.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post

Interesting zaz - is that in the lease/freehold/deeds/terms/whatever? Ouch @ £1k mind.
                Conservation area - everything that we take out has to be replaced exactly the same as it was before we upgraded. Only a certain selection of colours for the front door etc.

Quotes for the hand made front door [as the dimensions were different back in 1880] was £2.5k. We use alot of silicone filler here

As Bren says - as long as they all lock even with their little quirks - they will do for now!

The glass is hand made and it would be a shame to get rid yet! You can't see a proper view through them, they are all wobbly!

Comment

When I had my windows done they made several mistakes, things like fitting windows without the air vents I requested. I was offered a discount for that and a small mark/scratch on a double window frame, but I when I placed my order, I knew exactly what I wanted and wasn't then interested in discounts, because they had made mistakes.

So even though I like to save money and love a good bargain, if it were my place, I'd have the window changed. Decisions like having new windows is not usually done within minutes, we go through all the choices, costs etc. So to have the plans changed because they didn't do the job right, is not worth a discount for me. I want what I requested and I'm happy to pay the the agreed price for the agreed work done.

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
                    oh yeah, hah it should be rotated... bloomin phone. You're right poddington.. it does bug me, but on the other hand, what a waste of materials.. unless they can fit it on another house like mine I assume it'll be skipped. Argh. Moral dilemma!
                    Use it for a cold frame! that's what we're going to do. Our new house has 3 windows with condensation between the panes and the back door leaks. Don't worry about the waste, just find another use! The issue is whether you can forget about it and make use of the cash they'll give you. but if EVERY time you see it it bothers you, then you need to have it changed.
                    Www.chicorychildrenandchickens.wordpress.com

Comment

I think I'd have to change it but that's because something like that would grate on me. Could you live with it until / if you move or have them replaced again?

Comment

For the money you've paid already and the fact that you're a 'bit obsessive' I'd have it changed - have to say looking athe photoshopped picture, it looks better too!

Get it changed, what's £150 to stop you being annoyed everytime you saw it.
                        To see a world in a grain of sand
                        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Thanks for the input peeps, still not decided but leaning towards replacement.

Comment

I also hate waste.

BUT...my house is my home....not a house to live in.

That window would really bug me if I'd paid for it. If it was rented property I'd roll my eyes and just get on with living there.

..personally I'd get it replaced.
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I'd get it changed.. For the money you've paid out you expect it to be done properly. I would ask for something for your inconvenience too! But then I'm cheeky like that
                              http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                                The glass is hand made and it would be a shame to get rid yet! You can't see a proper view through them, they are all wobbly!
                                I love old glass, I put up with the drips and the cold blowing through until the frames are more woodfiller than wood! Much more character.

Chris, As the window is on a different elevation, forget about it. You will be too busy in the garden soon to notice! Take the money and give it to your lovely lady to go shopping. In a few weeks time there will be something else to worry about..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X