No announcement yet.

Charity shops

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When we had the farm, we were living on a small island, and almost everyone was on low income. Apart from underwear and footwear, I don't think I had more than half-a-dozen items of new clothing in the 15 years, and not much more for the children, it all came from the charity shops, in fact, when the children were at secondary school (on the bigger island where the shops were) one of the 3 was nicknamed "the ******* boutique" because all the secondary pupils with homes on our island bought their clothes there.
    Ocassionally there was something saleable to take in!
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
      Not heard of that one, what's the cause please?
      Try this...

Home

Comment

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
        One problem many second hand book shops have closed since charity shops came into being we used to have two in Loughborough both now closed.
        Although Help the aged(Loughborough) only sells books.

One of our dreams was running a secondhand bookshop like this one:

Black Books - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Thank you, very worthy.
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I donate all my clearouts to the local "Mind" charity shop and have filled in a gift aid slip. Last year the stuff I donated sold for over £300.

Today I went out to buy a wheel nut (yes really) and went through the four in my local town main street. I came away with two Ian Banks hardbacks, a propogating book and a Stephen King hardback and had change from a fiver.

If you do donate, fill in the gift aid slip as it adds 28% to the bottom line.

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post

Rofl; Bernard Black - genius

Comment

Please don't spread this about but I bought a little black velvet number from a charity shop last year for three quid. In my defence, I needed some black velvet to make some new staging for my show veg and to buy new velvet would almost have meant a second mortgage.

So shoosh you all, please keep my secret safe.

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                  Rofl; Bernard Black - genius
                  I love that series, I've got the DVD boxed set and The Little book of Calm
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I used to have the Little Book of Calm. But, when i left one particular employer, I left it in my bosses drawer on my last day

Comment

black books, quality!

I used to volunteer in a charity shop when I was 18 for all the stuff you could get chepaer, that was original, and no-one else would be wearing it.
                      I've been shopping in them on purpose since I was 16, and don't plan to stop soon
                      Got a really nice crocheted blanket from one a couple of days ago for £3.75 which is not bad for a handmade item.
                      One of my friends and I deliberately go on shopping trips to areas with an abundance of charity shops and very rarely end up buying anything form any other shop

Comment

Originally posted by taff View Post
                        I deliberately go on shopping trips to areas with an abundance of charity shops
                        Oh yes, if we go anywhere new (London, Brighton, Holt) I go in the charity shops before anywhere else
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                          Oh yes, if we go anywhere new (London, Brighton, Holt) I go in the charity shops before anywhere else
                          Different town different junk?
                          The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                          Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                            I do the same when we go camping
                            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
                              Different town different junk?
                              Not junk at all BW - I buy brand new clothes from the likes of M&S, Kew, Gap who all donate "unsolds" to charity.

My sister is a charity shop expert: she kits out all her kids in them, for probably about £1 an item
                              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 23-01-2011, 09:24 AM.
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Depends on the definition of 'junk'. MY definition is "no use to me but might be useful to someone else". If it's no use at all it is rubbish!
                                Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X