Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love this thread!
    I hate 'real' shopping!

I don't like crowds or town/city centres, so I shop for as much as possible online. I have got my food shopping down to a fine art - monthly meal plans, set budget, comparison website - sorted!

I hate clothes shopping with a passion! For example - I just want a pair of black trousers for work. I don't want to have to sift through the fifty naff styles of black trousers available, I don't want to choose what kind of 'fit' or 'leg' I am. I don't want to have to stuff myself into some sweaty changing room with a crappy curtain on it and juggle my coat and bag to try on fifteen pairs of trousers in 4 sizes that might or might not fit me. I just want a pair of plain black trousers that fit. Cue ordering from Next, trying on in the comfort of my bedroom, and if I don't like them, the lovely local courier lady picks them up the next day.... (I'm like this with every item of clothing/shoes I buy).

Last year I bought 3 pairs of exactly the same boots; as I really liked them, and I knew they would change the style or something this year (they did).

What I'm really dreading is having to find an outfit for attending 2 weddings next year - one in February and one in June. I'm wondering whether black trousers are acceptable....

God, I sound like a right whinge-bag!!

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      Pop down to Anglia Fashion Fabrics on Magdalen St, browse the fabrics and the patterns at the back of the shop. See if you're inspired ... (I LOVE fabric shopping)

ooohhh they do patterns too? see thats the bit i couldnt do - too many numbers and measurements which are really not my strong bit. I have a sewing machine on loan - but dont really have much of a clue of what to do except for just go! i never got taught to use one at school so its completely new! Is there anywhere in Norwich that will measure you and cut you patterns? I'd like to get some basic patterns down for leggings and skirts, which i live in. (i only have one pair of trousers, and they are for chilling/gym)

Comment

OWG - I'm the same! I went to a wedding a few years back and wore black trousers and a black shirt, i probably looked like bar staff but i dont do frilly dresses

Comment

Hate food shopping, get about halfway round then I'm ready to ditch the trolley and walk out the shop...I get so bored!

Clothes shopping, I get clothes a bit here and a bit there usually. Had a bit of dosh last week though, so Pickle and I had a girls day together having a rare treat of being able to buy what we wanted.

If I could do it all online then I would..love Amazon, ordered a couple of dictionaries last week and they were here a couple of days BEFORE the email said they would be
          Kirsty b xx

Comment

Originally posted by buzzingtalk View Post
            ooohhh they do patterns too? see thats the bit i couldnt do - ...I'd like to get some basic patterns down for leggings and skirts,
            Using a pattern is much easier than trying to make clothes without one. I would recommend Kwik Sew patterns, they are dead easy.

You really need to measure yourself, because sizing is different to ready to wear clothes (I'm a 10 in shops, but a 14 in patterns).

Simply cut out the pattern along the lines for your size, then place them on your fabric, cut that out. Then follow the simple instructions to get it all put together. Simples.

If I see a pattern I like, I do a search on here for reviews. I also check eBay to see if it's cheaper on there.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

How do you know what size you are? I range from between a 10-18 bottom, and an 8-14 top I have a very curavcious figure which makes buying clothes a nightmare, I would have been fine last century though when women were buxom and not stick instects. I either have to buy something for my top half that fits my chest well but is very tight on the stomach (32" chest, around 38" hips) or something that sags on the top half and fits well around my stomach. Gah.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzingtalk View Post
                How do you know what size you are? ... (32" chest, around 38" hips)
                Making your own would be ideal then - that's why I started too. I'm 33" top, 38" hip with short legs & fat thighs Also a narrow front but wide back, which causes a lot of fitting probs

With patterns, you would be a 10 for tops and 14 for bottoms (I just checked). You could either draft your own pattern using your own clothes as a guide, or else invest in a good skirt or legging pattern, and make multiple items from cheap fabric (I've just been given a lovely duvet cover that will become a summer dress, otherwise I buy in the sales, charity shops or from eBay)

There's a fabric stall on Norwich market, but some of the stuff is q.dodgy. I can't really recommend him. Go to Goldhawk Rd in London, that's the best place for cheap n lovely fabrics.
                Last edited by Two_Sheds; 20-10-2010, 11:44 AM.

Comment

OWG you don't sound like a whinge-bag at all - you sound totally and utterly normal to me, I'm with you all the way - I loathe clothes and shoe shopping. My work trousers have faded and look quite tatty, but I'm still wearing them because I can't bear to go shopping for new ones - really cross because I decided to spend a bit more on them so I wouldn't have to replace them so soon - that didn't work
                  Life is too short for drama & petty things!
                  So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

I don't like shopping much, dh loves it though and buys all the fresh stuff on his way home from work. Tins and washing powder we get delivered monthly by Ocado. As for clothes shopping, I go once a year in May for work clothes, I buy good stuff and it lasts and lasts... I have a suit jacket that perhaps cost me £70, but I've had it about five years and I wear it every other week, its been washed hundreds of times and doesn't need ironing. Same with my black trousers from Minuet Petite, they cost about £110 but I know they will last me three years, I wear them both for work and going out, and they wash well and no ironing.
                    I have shopped 'cheaper' (Mackay's comes to mind) but to tell the truth its all rubbish. One top costing five pounds, worn five times, costs far more in the 'cost per wear' stakes than one costing £50 which I will wear weekly for two years. And the quality shows.
                    I also enlist the help of a personal shopper, a middle aged lady - Italian I think, who brings me all I need, she's free and she knows her stuff - and her stock. Saves me loads in terms of money and time.

Comment

Originally posted by Marthaclematis View Post
                      I go once a year in May for work clothes, I buy good stuff and it lasts and lasts...
                      I need rough & tumble clothes for school, which I pick up in Oxfam new usually, by M&S, Kew, Boden if I'm lucky

Nice dresses I either make, or buy on eBay (got a little black silk number for £5 last week)
                      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 20-10-2010, 03:53 PM.

Comment

I have a work colleague who lives in a nice area and she gets all her clothes from Charity Shops, a recent discovery for her. She is a total convert. As I was in her area a few weeks ago I had a look at what she was going on about.... I bought myself two evening dresses (one of which I wore to my nieces wedding and another to an engagement party) and herself a top for her birthday. Both dresses cost me just as much to have altered as they cost me to buy but still both bargains... I was over the moon !

Comment

Originally posted by Marthaclematis View Post
                          I have a work colleague who lives in a nice area and she gets all her clothes from Charity Shops, a recent discovery for her. She is a total convert. As I was in her area a few weeks ago I had a look at what she was going on about.... I bought myself two evening dresses (one of which I wore to my nieces wedding and another to an engagement party) and herself a top for her birthday. Both dresses cost me just as much to have altered as they cost me to buy but still both bargains... I was over the moon !
                          My MIL does that - she has a fantastic wardrobe!
                          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

And how boring is it to trail around after a friend who's looking in all the shops AND trying loads of stuff on? Especially if the friend looks for your opinion on nearly all the clothes.
                            My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X