Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snadger View Post

I've worked outside all my life
    Thats why you've avoided flu,its mainly transmitted from contact (or close proximity)of person to person

Comment

cheese and raw onion toasties are my cold comfort food
      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 09-10-2010, 08:42 PM.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
        A drop of my Sloe Gin'll warm you up!
        Funny you should say that, I tried hot lemonade with some Mandarin Vodka I made. Hasn't done much for the cold but I slept like a baby........

You could be right about working outside increasing your chances of avoiding colds. Walking round hospital wards as I do certainly doesn't help.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Pies View Post
          Thats why you've avoided flu,its mainly transmitted from contact (or close proximity)of person to person
          That could be it then............probably why i'm such an unsociable git also!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
            cheese and raw onion toasties are my cold comfort food
            Coooor YES! *Sends Hubby out to buy a Breville...
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Like Snadger, I've always spent most of my time outdoors, and I get a bad cold (as in, lasts five days) about once every three or four years! Most 'colds' just last a day or two. Guess I'm lucky!

Comment

Raspberry & Echinacea tea for me.. I tend to find fruity teas help my throat, and despite echinacea being a supposed preventative I find it takes the edge off a cold/flu quite well. It's pretty pricey though - around £1.70 for maybe 20bags? I'd get through a box every couple of days... Probably the replacement of caffeinated teas/coffee helps me feel better though thinking about it!

Comment

I've heard good reports about Echinacea, but not tried it. Plenty of Vitamin C is good too.

Comment

I never bother with decongestants, I think it makes the cold last longer. After all, there is a purpose to all that liquid pouring down your nose, and the sneezing etc. I just try and keep it away from other peeps, and used tissues get burnt on the fire.

My 'cure', which probably doesn't work, but does no harm, is plenty of fresh juice, plenty of fruit, and soups, stews and curries made with loads of onions and garlic and plenty of veg. In fact, that's the normal winter meal plan, and I don't often get struck down with a cold

Oh, and like Snadger & G4 said - being outdoors helps a lot, clears the nose so you can breathe for a bit
                    Last edited by SarzWix; 10-10-2010, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Also isn't chicken soup supposed to be good for colds, etc?

Chicken Soup: Nature's Best Cold and Flu Remedy?

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
                        Also isn't chicken soup supposed to be good for colds, etc?

Chicken Soup: Nature's Best Cold and Flu Remedy?
                        I had Chicken soup yesterday, and I haven't got a cold, so it must work!

Comment

You have my full sympathy BM , Manflu is just so bad, but not as bad as giving birth to a child, so a certain woman keeps telling me!

I have had it for the past week, well not quite manflu but feeling @@@@.
                          Just overdosed on lemsip and cleared the sinuses with olbas oil. OK and one day in bed. Unlike the stronger sex, who have to battle through no matter how bad they feel.

I think you need a few days in bed, make sure you have Sky, just so you can keep up with the lastest important news items. A constant supply of hot drinks, and maybe a little hot soup for lunch. On the second day, when you are feeling a little better, steak and chips will probably build up your strength, with maybe just a small glass of red wine, but don't dare spill any on the sheets.
                          The third day you may venture outside to check up on the greenhouse, but make sure you have you carer with you, as you still could be a little weak.

Take care M8
                          Mr TK's blog:
                          http://mr-tomato-king.blogspot.com/
                          2nd Jan early tomato sowing.

Video build your own Poly-tunnel

Comment

chilli soup. Any old veg you have lying about, a lot of chilli.

Comment

I take Echinacea drops for weeks and 1 week of and on .......................... all autumn winter seems to stop a cold in it's tracks. Gey better soon, some of today's lovely fresh air would be good - sunny here hope it is your way x
                              Denise xox

Learn from the mistakes of others because you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
                              -- Alfred E. Neumann
                              http://denise-growingmyown.blogspot.com//

Comment

Try and lay off the dairy products if you have a cold, especially milk. They encourage congestion and phlegm...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X