X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolutely and categorically Veg.
    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I had some tomato plants in a wall hay-style basket - they has beautiful flowers on, then they had tons of lovely veg on, then the rain came and bashed them hard and they have all broken

Oh how I wished I'd 'braced' them
      aka
      Suzie

Comment

I NEED flowers in my life...something so uplifting about them....and I really don't like to see bare soil.
        Could I 'accidentally' sow some poppy seeds amongst my veg

Do we HAVE to choose???...if so I'll choose perennial flowers ...cos I know my OH would choose veg for his ....then we'd get both!!!!

.....if that's cheating then I'll choose veg
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
          Do we HAVE to choose???..
          only for this exercise think of it as a bad dream, you will wake up
          aka
          Suzie

Comment

Well at the risk of being put in the stocks, I get a lot more pleasure out of flowers than veg, less beasties & easier to maintain. Also nicer to look at & beautiful fragrances on some flowers.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

well definitely categorically ..... flowers .... i tried the veggies, spent a fortune, got more and more frustrated that i still had to buy veg .... so gave up .... looks so pretty with all the cabbage whites fluttering round the flowers

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                Well at the risk of being put in the stocks....
                Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
                well definitely categorically ..... flowers
                Phew - twice

I was starting to feel like a lepper
                aka
                Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                  Phew - twice

I was starting to feel like a lepper
                  we could always start a colony lol

Comment

If I cant eat it I dont grow it, so for me its veg.
                    Mme Pastis has told me though that if she cant have tons and tons of flowers all over my house she isnt moving in, so she would be flowers.
                    Bob Leponge
                    Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

When I first moved into this house it was the first house I had with a garden since I'd lived with mum and dad and I only put in ornamentals. The following year I bought some fruit bushes and started growing in pots. The year after that I got a greenhouse and split the garden in two for flowers and veg. Over the next few years I gradually put more veg into the flower half and the year before I had the plot the front garden was a mass of squash and bean wigwam and my hanging baskets were mange tout and nasturtiums or strawberries. Now I have the lottie the front garden has been reclaimed by ornamentals and the back garden is more flower based although I still have a nursery area and the greenhouse as well as some soft fruit and an apple tree. Think this is about the right balance for me although I am growing on some lavendar for the lottie so that I can harvest it for gifts - will make a lovely low hedge down one side and will smell gorgeous.

By the way, do try to grow flowers I can eat quite a bit too, does that still count as flowers or are they crops then?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I think that is what I need to focus on Alison - getting the balance right
                        aka
                        Suzie

Comment

VEG!!! I wanna eat it!!!

Zebedee
                          "Raised to a state of heavenly lunacy where I just can't be touched!"

Comment

I only have a small garden but my aim was to have an edible one. The pagoda is trailing with blackberry, grape, winter squash and runner bean. I have a small area for raspberry, blackcurrant with winter squash trailed against a rear wall above the garlic and p*****p. Strawberries everywhere and anywhere and of course the Jenny kiwi making a bower over the garden shed. Not forgetting the peach tree which sadly fruited too early and gave split stones.

Comment

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
                              You can't eat flowers.
                              Oh, you can! I use them in salads in summer. In fact I've been asked to do one of my 'pretty' salads for the village lunch tomorrow. It will have borage (blue) nasturtium (mainly yellow on my allotment - they are at the end of the plot between the rasps and the path) pot marigold petals (orange), day lily petals (my yellow ones have gone over but the dark brick coloured one is still pumping them out.) and a few pink and white rose petals. They are sprinkled onto a green salad and look really 'Wow'!

I do grow mainly vegetables and fruit but I like a bit of colour. I also grow cutting flowers as I like a bit of the old Flower Arranging. So, I wouldn't choose - but I'd try to use dual purpose where I can.

As Alsion said though, if you grow the right varieties (mainly heritage) you can get some cracking pea flowers and crimson broadies.
                              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

If I had to choose, it's veg for me - beautiful and relaxing to look at and the bonus is, you can eat them too.
                                My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X