No announcement yet.

Slow access to forum

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It took me 4 mins to get to this thread just now. Earlier I gave up after 10 mins!!!

Comment

A possible cause of this slowness is not the Vine itself, but the ads displayed on it.

You could try the following, which is fully reversible, it will stop some of the ads being displayed on the Vine.

This procedure is for IE8.

Click "Tools" then "Internet Options", select the "Security" tab, select "Restricted sites", click the "Sites" button

Add the following 2 sites to the Restricted sites list:

*.doubleclick.net
      *.googlesyndication.com

Click on the "Close" button, then "OK".

If it doesn't make a difference, then just go back to the "Sites" panel, then highlight each one as above and click "Remove" and you're back the way you were.
      Last edited by HotStuff; 02-08-2010, 10:28 PM.
      There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Tried that thanks, both on Firefox and IE

We've even tried running Ubuntu from CD thinking it might be a windows issue.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

me to !
          if noticed this on my home computer. i think its more to do with the time of day , when your isp is getting high levels of traffic and your broadband isnt that fast to start with.also if a lot of people are using the forum that can also slow things.
          if explorer is particularly slow i use firefox which is always a bit faster anyway.
          a good put down line to use !

If having brains was a fatal disease, you would be the only survivor.

Comment

IT have tested the vine and it appears to be fine.

"There may have been a slow moment with the server but, at the moment, there isn't a problem at our end. "

....so it looks like it's our ends then!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks Nicos and thanks IT, not sure what to do now seeing as it only affects one Pc in our home network.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                Thanks Nicos and thanks IT, not sure what to do now seeing as it only affects one Pc in our home network.
                Grasping at straws, are your 2 PCs set to use the same DNS servers?
                There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Originally posted by HotStuff View Post
                  Grasping at straws, are your 2 PCs set to use the same DNS servers?
                  Every things the same on both PC's except for the OS.

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                    ... Poor Piskie had it for ages, mebbe if she sees this she might know something that works to clear it?...
                    I did, indeed - it drove me to eat chocolate I can tell 'eeee

What solved mine was moving from IE to FF and ensuring that I am not logged onto a VPN (US client system) at the same time as Vining as that will slow it to a drunken snail pace.

The above may not help you - but I'd certainly give the IE a talking to just in case. Good luck
                    aka
                    Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                      I did, indeed - it drove me to eat chocolate I can tell 'eeee
                      I can well imagine!

I use Google Chrome most of the time these days, find it less likely to get bogged down with adverts and pop-ups.

Comment

At last, the forum is working normally again for me. I checked everyday and it was only on the 5th August that the problem was resolved. I feel that the problem must have been at the forum's server.
                        Last edited by realfood; 05-08-2010, 07:53 PM.

Comment

The Grapevine is back to normal for me I noticed a few Grapes saying their ISP is Talktalk - ditto.

Comment

Spoke too soon!!! Friday sloow, Saturday normal, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday slooooow.
                            I visit another 10 forums on various subjects and have no problems on them. If nothing wrong on your servers, then it appears that access is being delayed while talktalk is checking every page for viruses, making your site virtually unusable. All your members on talktalk, I think the second biggest ISP, will just not bother to visit, until your IT sorts out the problem with talktalk.

Comment

Have you tried asking Talktalk if this is the problem? I'm with AOL which is part of the same group as Talktalk & have no problems with the vine.
                              I do get odd problems with very slow connections on everything with AOL from time to time, yesterday was a bit of a pain, but it's never been a problem specific to the 'Grapevine' site.
                              Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

I've raised this again with Admin/IT and have been assured that they will look into it. It's a bit difficult though, considering that Admin aren't connecting through TalkTalk, for them to work out what the problem is.
                                Have you tried speaking to the ISP yourself to ask what's causing the hold-up? Essentially, the problem is theirs, because they are the ones creating the problem. But I'm sure the IT team will do their best to help out.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X