No announcement yet.

So, this hosepipe ban.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So if I hadn't watched the news or checked any waterboard websites, I could legitimately use a hose-pipe?! *D@*&*
    Last edited by weekendwellies; 11-07-2010, 08:40 AM.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
      Can I just say that since the ban came into force, it has done nothing but absolutely widdle it down here....
      Wish we had, keep getting it forecast but it lasts about 5 mins and that's it

Originally posted by weekendwellies View Post
      So if I hadn't watched the news or checked any waterboard websites, I could legitimately use a hose-pipe?! *D@*&*
      I posted that somewhere too, bet we'd still be in the wrong.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Last time we had a ban here (can't remember when, but must be significantly less than 10 years, because I picked up a leaflet about the rules from a certain Garden Centre, and I didn't go to that one 10 years ago) you could still use a hose to fill things (watering cans, half-empty rain-butts, livestockwatering troughs etc) but NOT directly on the garden (or to wash cars etc, but out local car-wash places have a recycling system of some kind, dunno how it works).
        You can fill the store from the hose, you can use a hose from the rain-butt to water. All it does is make you THINK a bit harder! (and it stops the morons who leave the sprinkler running to keep the lawn green)
        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

i was told by an old boy not to bother watering the allotment as you will just cause more work for yourself , the only stuff i do water is the toms and runner beans . I havent touched the spuds at all this year and its been very hot and dry in leicestershire and i have plenty also my brassicas and onions are doing great with no water... So maybe he is right ???
          http://newplot.blogspot.com/

rain rain go away (2009)

rain rain rain (2010)

Comment

It's pelting it down here, so worry not in Yorkshire.
            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

We are getting a good drowning here today, too. So I wouldn't be bothering to water anyway for the next couple of days at least.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

They tell us we're not likely to have a hose pipe ban here in the South West (and considering how much they charge us I should think not!). According to SW Water website the water storage levels are at 76% and the regional groundwater levels are around average or above. Having said that I don't water unless stuff actually starts to wilt!
                Life is too short for drama & petty things!
                So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

We are having a brief respite in the rain today, but are still forecast for rain for at least another 2 or 3 days... I don't know how long it would have to rain to get the storage levels back up though?

Comment

We've had (and are still having) rain over the last 2 days and nights, so only watering the greenhouses at the moment.

We can see by the levels in our ground and spring fed victorian well how little rainfall there's been this year. Until yesterday it was looking pretty dire.

Comment

Originally posted by weekendwellies View Post
                      So if I hadn't watched the news or checked any waterboard websites, I could legitimately use a hose-pipe?
                      Ignorance of the law is not a defence
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Still raining here.....

Comment

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
                          Still raining here.....
                          Tis here too now but it's still going to take a lot more to fill up our water butts let alone all those reservoirs

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Some of our crops HAVE to be watered, even if we do get rain (unless it is truly torrential), because nearly everything is 'container' grown, the spuds in the tyre wall have reached the stage where the greenery stops much rain getting anywhere near the roots, and I really don't trust the bit of rain we've had lately to keep the courgettes growing (just got courgettes forming, exactly the stage where lack of water would be a problem).
                            For much of the rest, it's far from critical, but it will be nicer if it gets plenty of water. I've had spuds (bought) that turned out to have big holes in the middle, and I was told this is caused by too much fluctuation in the water supply. We all know what happens to tomatoes if they dry out before the next lot of water, and someone said carrots can do the same....!
                            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                              Ignorance of the law is not a defence
                              Ah well, never mind

Comment

Just a thought, since this hosepipe ban started we have had rain varying from quite light to torrential every day. Perhaps we ought to have a hosepipe ban every summer

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X