No announcement yet.

So, this hosepipe ban.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't mind so much about a hosepipe ban (not here yet though) if we didn't live on an ISLAND where water shortages were forcast years and years ago and still there have been no efforts to build any desalination units. And nothing has ever been done to fix leaking water board pipes which waste thosands and thousands of litres a year.
    Last edited by janeyo; 08-07-2010, 05:01 PM.

Comment

me too janeyo! also always wonder whether hosepipe bans are just directed at gardeners, or whether it includes banning the hosing down of lorries and tankers?

Comment

Originally posted by janeyo View Post
        there have been no efforts to build any desalination units.
        There have. The first one opened last month.
        Apparently desalination plants use a heck of a lot of energy.

This surprised me: "London isn't as rainy as you might think - it gets about half as much rain as Sydney, and less than Dallas or Istanbul"
        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 08-07-2010, 05:57 PM.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by janeyo View Post
          I wouldn't mind so much about a hosepipe ban (not here yet though) if we didn't live on an ISLAND where water shortages were forcast years and years ago and still there have been no efforts to build any desalination units. And nothing has ever been done to fix leaking water board pipes which waste thosands and thousands of litres a year.
          We need to look at things though. This is the first hosepipe ban we've had in the NW since the mid 90s ie 15 years. I don't acutally think that's bad. I know there are other areas where they've had them more recently but it's only us that has the ban at the moment to my knowledge. Building a desalination plant for us to use once every 15 years would have a considerable impact on our water rates (or whatever they're called these days) and I really don't want to go there. I don't think we're exactly at crises level cos I can't use a hosepipe, I can still have as much drinking water as I need unlike large proportions of the world.

Re the leaking pipes, actually a lot has been done over the past 15 years, I have colleagues working on huge reburb projects to reline / renovate major trunk mains etc but this takes a long time and is expensive. Considering the state of the infrastructure 20 years ago when it was all privatised it's in pretty good nick. Yes more needs to be done and the needs of share holders are often given too much priority but things aren't that bad.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by teakdesk View Post

I'm sure that if leaking pipes are repaired there will be streams and becks that then dry up killing many rare species.
            Maybe where you live, hun, but here it goes directly into the sewers and away to the sea! What a waste

Originally posted by Alison View Post

Re the leaking pipes, actually a lot has been done over the past 15 years, I have colleagues working on huge reburb projects to reline / renovate major trunk mains etc but this takes a long time and is expensive. Considering the state of the infrastructure 20 years ago when it was all privatised it's in pretty good nick. Yes more needs to be done and the needs of share holders are often given too much priority but things aren't that bad.
            It made me really, really angry that the senior management of UU got bonuses, surely this money would have been better spent employing more of the staff that actually do the repair work so that it moves along quicker. Everything could be done quicker if they actually cared about the issue, but I get the impression that they don't.

It also makes me angry that I cant use the hose to water my veg, but people can still use their washing machines and their dishwashers as many times a day as they want and have as many baths as they want.
            Obviously these are things that cannot in any way be policed and it is the easiest way to stop hose-pipes, not necessarily the most effective.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Can I just say that since the ban came into force, it has done nothing but absolutely widdle it down here....

Comment

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
                Can I just say that since the ban came into force, it has done nothing but absolutely widdle it down here....
                Well I am glad my raindance is beneficial to someone

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Originally posted by weekendwellies View Post
                  It also makes me angry that I cant use the hose to water my veg, but people can still use their washing machines and their dishwashers
                  The hosepipe uses much more water than a wash machine or a dishwasher: about 20 times as much according to this site:

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                    The hosepipe uses much more water than a wash machine or a dishwasher: about 20 times as much according to this site:
                    Hmm! I used my watering can on Thursday to see how much I would be using, I watered the things that I would normally water - seeds just sown, seedlings planted out and a couple of rows of other odds and sods.
                    Watering can = 10 litres
                    4 Cans used = 40 litres total

Half as much as a bath, 2/3rds a wash in the washing machine.

I don't water everyday, either.

Comment

You're showing how it could (should) be done, WW. You don't need to have the hosepipe running every night to have a productive & beautiful garden.

Comment

Agreed, you dont have to water everything every day, but with the lack of any significant rain hereabouts for soo long now, some of our plants are struggling, so its these that need attention! Our own plans are to water the whole plot on a rota basis, doing 1 full run of beds a day (plus anything thats vulnerable such as seedlings and greenhouses), which should mean the whole plot will be watered once a week. Took 2 of us with 2 watering cans eac an hour and a half lasy night to water 1 run plus seedlings and greenhouses, methinks its going to be a lot of time each week to keep on top of, but worth doing!
                        Blessings
                        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                        Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                        Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                        On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Stooopid question; how do you find out if you have a hose-pipe ban in your area?
                          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Check your local water suppliers website! Atm I think its just United Utilities in the North West of England that have a ban in force, but I could be wrong!
                            Blessings
                            Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                            Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                            Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                            On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Thanks Mrs. D! Will go lookie...

Anglian Water has not had a hosepipe ban since 1991!!!! Good-o!

If they do decide to, I'll just moan at them for all the water they're wasting with the burst pipes in this area! Lazy g*ts.
                              Last edited by Glutton4...; 11-07-2010, 08:15 AM.
                              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                                Stooopid question; how do you find out if you have a hose-pipe ban in your area?
                                Not stoopid at all. I tend to check on the Environment Agency site. If you are not mentioned, you don't have one
                                Environment Agency - Current water status
                                AKA Angie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X