• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
    NE?...have a look at this chart...

What's Up for May 2010

There are 3 stars there.
    Must be Deneb or Vega. They are very bright stars.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

i will try to get a picture of it in relation to other stars and moon- had an unussually coloured orange new moon last week, and it was fairly close to it, as i recall. so am giving as much info as i can recall, to see if that helps solve the mystery.

i have lived here for 13 years, and have never seen this bright light before. and originally when i saw it i thought it was a helicoptor spotlight or searchlight , as it was hovering in a stationary position, and incredibly bright ...personally, before the o.p. started this thread, i had noticed and mentioned this light to various family members, and, when it kept re-occurring, took it as a planet or even an asteriod(???) something that is definately not ussually therei think it might be a planet dont know a great deal about astromony, but i do recognise the north star, ( and i seem to recall noticing that it is lower than that, and to the northeast of it) the big and little dippers and the archer, and occasionally spend time looking at the sky. ( used to be quite interested when i was a kid)

Comment

It won't be an asteroid, you'd need a telescope to see that. Sometimes when stars/planets are low down in the sky they do appear brighter and larger.
        Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

It's a satellite.
          I always see it on the way to the pub. Funnily enough, I never see it on the way home

Comment

Originally posted by taff View Post
            It's a satellite.
            I always see it on the way to the pub. Funnily enough, I never see it on the way home
            You can only see a satellite if it reflects sunlight which will be for a relatively sort time. I don't think this is what lindyloo is seeing.
            Last edited by Capsid; 21-05-2010, 09:16 PM.
            Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

I still have to report, there's no damn way I saw it on the way home tonight.
              and it wasn't lindyloo, it was hawthorns
              and lindyloo isn't in wiltshire although she has been,and may yet be again

Comment

I had wondered if it could have been the Space Station- as that's very reflective!
                Anyway- I checked- and it runs to the south of you...so can.t have been that- plus it moves Easterly.
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

i was actually at home at sunset last night, and so could see the sun as it set! need to revise my directions!!! the bright object is definately in the west, as i took note of it's "exact" location, and the setting sun's, and they are in about the same place ( tho' the sun is obviously on the horizon as it set's, and not in the sky!) back to bright light-- by the time i next looked, which was at 11:45, it had dissapeared! there were other stars out, but didnt check locations- will do it when the bright object is there.

hawthorns- how does this light compare to the one you are seeing?

Comment

it seemed lowerin the sky last night. it was there at 11pm
                    my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

Originally posted by lindyloo View Post
                      i was actually at home at sunset last night, and so could see the sun as it set! need to revise my directions!!! the bright object is definately in the west, as i took note of it's "exact" location, and the setting sun's, and they are in about the same place ( tho' the sun is obviously on the horizon as it set's, and not in the sky!) back to bright light-- by the time i next looked, which was at 11:45, it had dissapeared! there were other stars out, but didnt check locations- will do it when the bright object is there.

hawthorns- how does this light compare to the one you are seeing?
                      The bright light is Venus then.
                      Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

I don't think they are listening to us, Capsid! Maybe the answer is too boring.
                        It is ET, on a return visit.
                        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

jeanied: youve sussed me!!! i was just working around to convincing myself that it is a ufo hovering, waiting to take me home to the motherland!!! (LOL)

Comment

the plot thickens its moved by quite a distance. its much higher and off to the left from last nights position. its getting lower as the night goes on
                            my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

it was here earlier on tonight, but our light has dissapeared again ( now 11:00) . and not truly convinced it is venus.

Comment

Originally posted by hawthorns View Post
                                the plot thickens its moved by quite a distance. its much higher and off to the left from last nights position. its getting lower as the night goes on
                                Planets unlike stars do change their position in the sky a lot as they orbit the sun in relation to our position.
                                Last edited by Capsid; 23-05-2010, 07:18 AM.
                                Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X