Elections 6th May...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PW - nicely done with parsnips!

Agreed about safe seats and mud slinging too.
    I have to say, the recent tory billboards did make me chuckle... Gordy grinning like a fool and the words "I took billions from pensions - vote for me" and "I caused record youth unemployment - vote for me" or some such.
    It's a bit pathetic that the campaign is basically "the current lot are rubbish" but at least it's well done.

Anyone else wish we still had Spitting Image on our screens? I'd love to see their take on it all.

bobleponge - an excellent post. I agree completely with the disenfranchisment point.
    I could be a lot more comfortable with the system we have here if it felt like the politicians truly were servants... I'd still object to it in principle as I really lean FAR more towards libertarian politics than towards anything that can be put on the usual left-right scale... but getting rid of safe seats and having a parliament that worked for the people rather than ruling over it would be far, far better.

I get the feeling that we never had democracy here. We've still got a monarchy, and thought they don't call the shots, their absolute power never went away - it just transferred to the government rather than the ruling family.

I find the thought of any person/group/party/"elected" elite or otherwise having "power" over anybody.

Were they to truly serve and limit themselves to legitimate governmental jobs like law enforcement, defence and so on (maybe maintaining the health service, but i'm not convinced they'll ever be able to do a good job of that) and stay right out of telling people how to live, being "seen to be doing something" regardless of whether what they do makes things better, worse or just wastes money, and stop trying to hold moral high-grounds on topics like drugs where all they really do is enforce prohibition and make the whole situation worse.

I could probably lump a government like that - but as it stands I have to turn off the news and haven't read a newspaper in years as they all just wind me up intensely.

Comment

One thing is pretty much guaranteed.. the Tories wont get a seat in Merseyside.

If the choice was between a performing dog and the conservatives, most people round here would vote for the dog.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

And why is that? Not surely because Labour have been totally brilliant and Merseyside has full employment, no crime and no issues!!

Comment

And it's absolutely guaranteed that round here (Skipton & Ripon) ONLY the Conservatives will get in David Curry has been a shoo-in since 1987, because he takes notice of the farmers & landowners. Which is all well and good IF you're a farmer or landowner....
          However. He's stood down for this election, so in theory it should open it up, but in reality it will another Conservative shoo-in, even if they put a sheep-dog up for the seat.

Comment

Originally posted by Janek View Post
            If we were a true democracy we would not only have the right to vote but the right 'not to vote' if we so choose!
            I feel obliged to vote, because of Mrs Pankhurst etc, even though my choice never wins This time I think I'll be writing NONE OF THE ABOVE on my paper

Originally posted by bobleponge View Post
            the majority really couldnt give a flyer as they dont see that their vote will change much about the way things are for them.
            that's true enough. I forced Mr TS to vote last year, for the first time in his life. His reasons for never voting were: not knowing what the parties stood for (and couldn't be bovvered to find out); feeling that his vote wouldn't change anything; and also embarrassment at not knowing what to do. It's quite intimidating to walk into the polling station, and you feel a fool if you don't know what to do

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
            And it's absolutely guaranteed that round here (Skipton & Ripon) ONLY the Conservatives will get in
            Large amounts of Norfolk are Tory too, always have been, always will be (farming country?)
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Just a thought: do you think we are all single issue voters? ie, if one party promises to lower your tax, you vote for them. If someone promises to bring the troops home, you vote for them?

How many of us read all the promises and make a balanced decision?

How many of us just think: "get that lot out" ?

... and how many vote for the person who "looks nice" ?

Comment

I think it is just because almost everyone is completely against the capitalist-ness of the Tories pigletwillie
                Hardline working class for the most part and they dont see any connection between themselves and the Conservatives.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Originally posted by organic View Post
                  Anyone else wish we still had Spitting Image on our screens? I'd love to see their take on it all.
                  See, now I was just thinking that they should bring back Spitting Image.

At least then the 'youf' would at least know who the politicians were rather than the faceless, clynical, sanitised, marketing savvy, products we have before us now.

Stand Nick Clegg and David Cameron next to each other and try and tell them apart.

Politics needs personalities and characters, even if those characters were borne of a satyrical mind in a darkened room.

Me? I'm just going to pick a colour.

People aren't disenfranchised with voting - just ask Simon Cowell. Politicians just need to re-engage with their 'audience' in a way that their audience want to see them, not how they believe they want their audience to see them.

In my opinion of course.

Lines will close at 12am, all calls made after that time will not count, but you may still be charged.
                  A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I would like to hear some policies and promises and not hear them slating each other.
                    I am not interested in how bad each thinks the others are. I want to know what they will do if they get elected.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                      People aren't disenfranchised with voting - just ask Simon Cowell. Politicians just need to re-engage with their 'audience' in a way that their audience want to see them
                      I can see it now: Political Big Brother

Georgeous Galloway already tried it
                      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 07-04-2010, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                        I can see it now: Political Big Brother

Georgeous Galloway already tried it
                        Big Politicians Dancing with Celebrity Brothers on Ice Factor!

Brilliant.

We'll have Andrew Marr, Janet Street Porter and Jeremy Paxman as the 'bad judge'.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Careful what you wish for...I'm sure a few months ago Simon Cowell was in talks about such a show!

I did set out writing that before Waynes last post....I don't think it was an all sparkling singing and dancing show he had in mind....but then again....
                          Last edited by di; 07-04-2010, 02:01 PM.
                          the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Just a thought: do you think we are all single issue voters? ie, if one party promises to lower your tax, you vote for them. If someone promises to bring the troops home, you vote for them?

How many of us read all the promises and make a balanced decision?

How many of us just think: "get that lot out" ?

This is where I wish that they would just put forward a simple version of exactly how they plan to run the country and what changes they plan on making...something simple enough for everyone to understand.....all in one package so we can sit and mull over it and then make up our minds.
                            I feel a little bad for not knowing all their different policies,I'm not totally thick so should be able to make an educated choice over who I vote for...however I've got neither the time nor inclination sifting through what they have to say for themselves,trying to translate politic talk and ignore the mudslinging in the process.
                            the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Wasn't it the Nixon/Kennedy debate that first highlighted this?

Those listening to the debate 'thought' that Nixon won.

Those watching it considered Kennedy to be the winner.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by weekendwellies View Post
                                I would like to hear some policies and promises and not hear them slating each other.
                                I am not interested in how bad each thinks the others are. I want to know what they will do if they get elected.
                                Here here.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X