Elections 6th May...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
    I often find that those with the most to say are the ones least worth listening to.
    I could not agree more.

Did you know Dave C grows his own veg? Nick Clegg is our MP. Gordon Brown was once described as having 'Heathcliffian good looks.'

I can't decide which is the most meaningful to me.
    I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

• I've contacted all 3 of the main parties, by email, over the last few months to try and gauge their various policies on certain issues, important to my family - with varying results.

Out of the three, so far, this week, I've had a newletter throught the post AND an email from the Labour party.

The conservatives have sent me a letter and newletter individually through snail mail, 2 emails that's just this week and about 4 weeks ago we had a canvaser (who didn't look old enough to be out of school) who had a very polite, if pointless, as he didn't know any details re policies, conversation with me on the doorstep.

The Lib Dems have yet to send ANY material through at all.

Our problem is mainly to do with tax and interest rates.

You see we KNOW that under Browoneo both will rise but gradually (relatively speaking) and we will, eventually be worse off but at least we will have had a chance to adapt to these rises.

We also KNOW that under Cameron tax and interest rates will go up but at a much faster rate and we (and many households like ours) will find it nigh on impossible to adapt quickly enough to absorb these rises (a predicted 13% overall as I understand it), so the net result will be more people struggling to pay the mortgage and potentially losing their homes.

Oh and before you make the mistake of thinking we're mortgaged to the hilt, we're not. Our mortgage is currently about 75% of the value of our home in the current climate.

Unbelievably, for us, the Greens are looking quite good in terms of their overall policies and UKIP aren't looking too bad either .

The more I think about this election the more confused I'm getting, the ONLY thing I know for sure is that I really, really don't want Cameron or Clegg as PM but then I'm not that keen on Brown either.

Looking more and more like a marginal party for me.

Reet
      x

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhona View Post
        Did you know Dave C grows his own veg?
        Ballocks he does. He has his butler do it
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• Originally posted by reetnproper View Post
          Looking more and more like a marginal party for me.
          ... and therefore more like a hung parliament. Interesting.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhona View Post
            I could not agree more.
            Gordon Brown was once described as having 'Heathcliffian good looks.'
            Someone compared him to Churchill the other day too. I can't decide which he is more like now, the fat cat or the nodding dog.
            Last edited by pdblake; 13-04-2010, 07:45 PM.
            Urban Escape Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              ... and therefore more like a hung parliament. Interesting.
              True but maybe that's what is needed for the 3 main parties to get their act together and start actually listening to the voting population instead of just doing that which they feel is PC.

The local elections results, last year should have acted as a wake up call to the not insignificant levels of discontent and dissatisfactiion amongst the population. Instead, the main parties seem to be happily trundling along, in the belief, that the 'protest' vote of the local elections will not reoccur in a General Election because the voters wouldn't want to take a chance on the outcome.

I think the main parties have grossly under estimated the depth of feeling in this country at the moment and they need to stop making contradictory promises to every demographic, in an attempt to cover all the bases and start laying out firm but fair policies which will benefit the country as the whole and not just certain demographic pockets, if you see what I mean (and it's getting late now ).

Reet
              x

Comment

• Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                Green - as they've saved the planet by not sending out nonsense?

[Sorry hon, just playing with you ]
                Hehehehe.... actually, I checked out our Green candidate's website; but the policies they're fighting for aren't as 'pertinent' to the local area as the Conservatives... it's not that they aren't admirable ideas and policies, but thinking in terms of local area, they aren't what people want.

My part of our constituency is made up of loads of retired people and then a load of young families. We're rural, a close community, no supermarkets, big on recycling.

We need better public transport links, but also support for local shops etc. We have a real problem in the community with travellers and also a massive issue about gas storage. There's not a lot of crime here either.

However, we have a large city in the constituency, and the Green party seem to have a lot of focus around the city, forgetting that the area also includes a large rural setting, and people's needs are different to those in cities.

Comment

• I meant to say, this is for Nicos really, that I saw Martin Bell at the weekend in Knutsford. He's not standing again but is supporting the local independent candidate & they were outside a pub surrounded by people wanting to shake their hands. He had his cream coloured campaign suit on, hope he's had it cleaned since last time! If he was standing in our constituency I think I might be tempted to vote for him, he'd certainly get lots of votes standing on the 'anti-sleaze' ticket after the expenses saga etc.!
                  Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

• i was wondering today if we would get any callers soon, but then found out that our prospective Tory candidate has failed to be an MP in both Kent and Lancashire before, so perhaps he hasn't even got a clue where Woking is?

seriously though... how can anyone like this have any real idea what is concerning local people on a local basis.. and not just the tow the party line?
                    Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
                    Bob Dylan

Comment

• I'm voting for the Eyjafjallajokull Party.

They'e done more for immigration in the last 6 days than Labour have in the last 13 years.

"Has anyone seen my coat?"
                      Last edited by HeyWayne; 20-04-2010, 02:48 PM.
                      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

• Have just seen actual Eddie Izzard, less that 6ft away from me, on the Labour campaign trail where I work...

No idea what he was actually talking about, I wasn't listening, only looking...

He is tiny, BTW - only about 5ft 5ins - obviously, he had his sensible shoes on today!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X