No announcement yet.

Elections 6th May...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glutton I am sure at one stage it wasn't like that, parliment used to be fill with people that had done something in life ie had proper jobs or run businesses that wanttogive something back to the country its only recent times that you go to uni learn politics and become an MP so now the parliment is filled with the chattering classes of the left and right that have never had anything to do with the ordinary people.

Comment

• Originally posted by PAULW View Post
      Glutton I am sure at one stage it wasn't like that, parliment used to be fill with people that had done something in life ie had proper jobs or run businesses that wanttogive something back to the country its only recent times that you go to uni learn politics and become an MP so now the parliment is filled with the chattering classes of the left and right that have never had anything to do with the ordinary people.
      Now that speaks volumes.
      I think if someone wishes to become an MP they should have had a proper job(no not a researcher for a MP) for at least 5 years.
      The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
      Brian Clough

Comment

• i think they should only have money if they make the country a better place to live in for everyone.

naive and idealistic,but hey, cynics arejust frustrated idealists

Comment

• Originally posted by taff View Post
          i think they should only have money if they make the country a better place to live in for everyone.

naive and idealistic,but hey, cynics arejust frustrated idealists
          I totally disagree with that statement, when did being rich qualify you for ruling the country?
          You don't want to go back to the days when MPs were unpaid do you?
          If we had that state of affairs there would be no Labour MPs.
          We live in a democracy(since 1929)and anyone over the age of 21 is entitled to stand for parliament.
          I would not trust our moneyed classes as far as I could throw them they are the ones who closed most of our railways, murdered our coal industry & sold off((to their friends in "The City") most of our nationalised industries.
          Brian Clough

Comment

• Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
            I would not trust our moneyed classes as far as I could throw them they are the ones who closed most of our railways, murdered our coal industry & sold off((to their friends in "The City") most of our nationalised industries.
            Here Here BW.

Comment

• Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
              they know, when elected, that they have four years (
              Yes, just four years. That's not long enough to make proper long-term plans and investments that the next Govt will just overturn "because it makes them different to the other lot".
              I'm not, however, suggesting that they have a longer than 4 year term

Originally posted by taff View Post
              i think they should only have money if they make the country a better place to live in for everyone
              You can't make a place better for everyone. I'd like my town to be nearly car-free, while most people want more roads, more cars ...

I'd also like more green spaces, but most people want more houses, more Tescos ...

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
              I would not trust our moneyed classes as far as I could throw them
              and thrice hear

Mr TS's company 'advised' its employees how to vote last time around (their industry raises a lot of tax along the way)
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• I think 21 is far to young for anyone to stand as an MP!

I know a lot of youngsters will be offended by my next statement but I strongly believe that to be able to hold such a powerful and priviledged position, you should have the benefit of 'real world' experiences you simply don't have at 21, no matter how mature you think you are.

At 21 I was idealistic and had little understanding of 'real world' issues (and I think that applies to most young people). I believe you need to have a slightly jaded view of the world before you can start to make decisions that affect millions of peoples lives. You need to have lived a little and learned a lot. 30 is a much more realistic age and even that's a little young, in terms of government.

Reet
                x

Comment

• Well, I enquired last week from all 3 main candidates round here what their proposals are to protect, preserve and promote allotments and GYO. I had a reply back within 24 hours from the Lib Dem candidate, I still haven't had a reply from the other 2.

The Lib Dem policy is:

Specifically, we will introduce a special designation comparable to SSSI to allow the protection of allotments and other green spaces of particular value to the health and wellbeing of local people. Criteria could include local food production, green space used by or accessible to an urban population or special historic or community interest.
                  and, although this is not yet policy:
                  I expect this policy to be strengthened including committing local authorities to make more allotments avaialble
                  along with another couple of paragraphs on sustainability, promoting local food links, supporting local shops in rural areas, and, links to all their policy documents that contain the info.

I am super impressed!
                  Last edited by SarzWix; 11-04-2010, 09:16 AM.

Comment

• That sounds good, its far too easy for councils to declare allotments surplus and then sell of the land. Our council, which happened to be Labour, but insert any as they would all be the same could only see the £5 million they would get for our site sat right in the middle of Evington. Thankfully we beat them off.

Comment

• If you are like me, not a clue who to vote for !! check this site out www.voteforpolicies.org.uk, you do a survey and pick the policies you believe in rather than a party, it tells you at the end which policies belong to which party ! the party i was thinking of voting for ! had none of the policies i picked !!! opened my eyes

Comment

• Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
                        I totally disagree with that statement, when did being rich qualify you for ruling the country?
                        you didn't actually read what I wrote did you?

I said...they should only have money[be paid] if they make it a better placeto live in.....NOT.....rich people should run the country.

ah well....

Comment

• Spot on in all aspects .

Comment

• Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                            Yes, just four years. That's not long enough to make proper long-term plans and investments that the next Govt will just overturn "because it makes them different to the other lot".
                            I'm not, however, suggesting that they have a longer than 4 year term
                            Sorry to correct you all but we elect our governments for a 5 year term.
                            It's up to the prime minister of the day he/she can call a general election whenever he/she wants to(while the going is good) or go for a full term.
                            I am a firm believer in fixed term parliaments though I'm not bothered weather it be for 4 or 5 years.
                            Brian Clough

Comment

• Originally posted by louisesgarden View Post
                              Link didn't work. Chrome advised me to try this one for some reason.
                              Very interesting results!
                              I didn't feel the questions were particularly loaded, so I couldn't guess which party each answer was for.
                              My result was 100% for the party that I have always voted for

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
                              Sorry to correct you all but we elect our governments for a 5 year term.
                              I am happy to stand corrected
                              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 11-04-2010, 03:09 PM.
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• Bubblewrap will own up................
                                I was assistant secretary(unpaid) of Loughborough Labour Party from 1979 till 2001.
                                I'm no longer a member of the labour party but................I still vote that way.
                                Brian Clough

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X