No announcement yet.

St Patrick's Day

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just because I'm feeling pedantic - Diaspora (capitalized) refers specifically to Jews displaced from their homeland. 'diasporic' (small d) can be used to refer to any peoples and their descendants who have been displaced from their homeland, but should be specified ie. diasporic Africans. It also has no accent over the O in English. (Source: the full version of the Oxford English Dictionary via my OU library access. Confirmed in Websters Diaspora - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary)

Happy St Patrick's Day to anybody & everybody who feels inclined to celebrate it

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
      Just because I'm feeling pedantic - Diaspora (capitalized) refers specifically to Jews displaced from their homeland. 'diasporic' (small d) can be used to refer to any peoples and their descendants who have been displaced from their homeland, but should be specified ie. diasporic Africans. It also has no accent over the O in English. (Source: the full version of the Oxford English Dictionary via my OU library access. Confirmed in Websters Diaspora - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary)

Happy St Patrick's Day to anybody & everybody who feels inclined to celebrate it

Brilliant. I love pedantry in all its forms. Huzzah for Sarz.
      Bob Leponge
      Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Sarz - sorry but that was a pedantry fail.
        Diaspóra na Gael is "Irish diaspora" in Gaelic. In this context, Diaspóra with the fada over the o is spelled and used correctly.

Glutton4 - I've been (very politely) pulled up by Wayne about my use of "plastic"... I'll clarify (with my apologies if you were questioning my use of it rather than the meaning).

It's the short version of "Plastic Paddy", a term used by people I know to describe the kind of people who fall around in Guinness hats and drunkenly riverdance down the street in some weird attempt to be more Irish than the Irish. I'm aware that some xenophobic (particularly anti-English) Irish and some anti-Irish from elsehwere use the term in a somewhat offensive manner to refer to Irish emigrants and their descendants but that really isn't how I understand, use or meant it.

I hope that clears it up - but as per Wayne's reasonable request and the potential to upset those (who's family left Ireland for one reason or another) with slightly thinner skin I won't be using it again.

Apologies to anyone who felt I was being offensive with that word... but that use is simply not in my vocabulary in that way.

Comment

[QUOTE=HeyWayne;632223]

When Irish eyes are smiling,
          Sure, 'tis like the morn in Spring.
          In the lilt of Irish laughter
          You can hear the angels sing.

Don't you mean When Oirish Oyes are Smoiling?

That's how I hear it anyway!

Comment

Janeyo - that depends where you are...
            In some places it's much more like Uyrish uyes are smuylin...

I think most pubs in England at least will be leaning towards Oirish tonight though. It probably depends how thickly it's being laid on.

Comment

My personal favourite today
              Attached Files
              Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Lets just say I slept well
                Cheers

Danny

Comment

Day late but hey ho - happy St Paddy's day to those who survived it.
                  Why does the rest of the world try to make more St Paddys day than what it is - namely a day off work to go and get drunk on a drink that for the other 364 days of the year you wouldn't touch with a barge pole?
                  To all those who like the Bushmills - cheers , I was brought up within sight of the distillery and the smell when the wind was blowing the right way on a summers morning takes some beating.
                  There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X