No announcement yet.

Favourite jam/preserve?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Nicos;619345]I did ask her what she put in and she said that it varies everytime- QUOTE]

Sounds like my cooking in general! We never have the same thing twice!
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

I've not yet found anything to equal my Granny's Fig & Rhubarb Jam. I'm sure it's been enhanced by happy childhood memories but it really was fabulous. Needless to say, I haven't managed to replicate it for myself and Granny is long gone, so can't hand down her wisdom. I'll keep trying!
      I was feeling part of the scenery
      I walked right out of the machinery
      My heart going boom boom boom
      "Hey" he said "Grab your things
      I've come to take you home."

Comment

Carrot and watermelon, as tasted in Sudan. Just scrummy.
        Actually its disgusting, my fave is Bonne Maman raspberry jam, beautiful.
        Bob Leponge
        Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Mmmm, my favourites are homemade Blackcurrant Jam, Crab Apple Jelly either on its own or with Thyme sometimes Rosemary, Apple and Chilli Jelly and 5 Fruit Marmalade.
          Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

My favourites jam from last year was Flummery's Rhubarb and Orange Jelly

I found the recipe on her blog:-

jam-session
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I made my first ever jam last year with wild raspberries, it was gorgeous, so much so that we are going to make the long drive to get some more of the rasps this year
              Elsie

Comment

does anyone have a recipe for apple and strawberry jam by any chance? my BIL says he used to buy it from the supermarket and it was the best he's ever had but when he contacted the maker they said they didnt make it anymore!

so i thought i'd make a few jars for his christmas (oops sorry said that word!!) hamper this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Scottishnewbie View Post
                  does anyone have a recipe for apple and strawberry jam by any chance? my BIL says he used to buy it from the supermarket and it was the best he's ever had but when he contacted the maker they said they didnt make it anymore!

so i thought i'd make a few jars for his christmas (oops sorry said that word!!) hamper this year.
                  I might have, will have a look and if so can PM you, worth doing a search on grapevine as someone might have put one on
                  Elsie

Comment

Just has to be chilli jam - it's gorgeous! Can't have any at the moment, of course.

Comment

Plum and chilli jam. Lovely on toast, bread, or with cold meat and cheese
                      I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                      Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

I make and sell loads of different jams, jellies, chutneys and sauces throughout the year but my fave jam is straight raspberry, my fave chutney is beetroot chutney, my fave sauce is Spitfire Chilli Sauce and because I can't separate them, my two fave jellies are Rowan Jelly and Quince Jelly.
                        Rat

British by birth
                        Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                        http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by elsie-scot View Post
                          I might have, will have a look and if so can PM you, worth doing a search on grapevine as someone might have put one on
                          thanks, that would be great

Comment

Originally posted by Seahorse View Post
                            I've not yet found anything to equal my Granny's Fig & Rhubarb Jam. I'm sure it's been enhanced by happy childhood memories but it really was fabulous. Needless to say, I haven't managed to replicate it for myself and Granny is long gone, so can't hand down her wisdom. I'll keep trying!
                            My Mum use to make fig and rhubarb jam, it was wonderful stuff, you might be in luck, I have the recipe somewhere in one of her old recipe books what she wrote in, I'll have a good look round for it tomorrow, I'll post it in the Kitchen section and I'll P.M it to you Seahorse. She also made strawberry jam with black pepper in it, and a mean marrow and ginger jam as well, she would have been 80 this year if she'd still been with us.

Comment

It has to be Damson

Comment

Found it, right Fig and Rhubarb jam coming up, its in old money if you know what I mean.

Fig & Rhubarb Jam.

Ingredient

2 lb rhubarb
                                1 lb dry figs
                                1 lb sugar (I use jam sugar)

Method

Chop rhubarb into 1" pieces, chop figs.
                                Place all in preserving/large pan with 3 tablespoons water.
                                Bring to the boil and cook for 1 hour or until jam reaches the setting stage, remove a little and cool on a saucer to try.
                                Pour into sterilised jars and seal.
                                Last edited by ginger ninger; 27-02-2010, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X