No announcement yet.

Open or closed? Curtains that is

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Down stairs they're shut when it gets dark - I've caught my reflection in the window and given myself too many scares in the past. No worries about neighbours as the nearest one is 1/3 mile away and the roads a dead end

Bedroom ones are pretty much always shut at the moment - the sh*tty single glazing lets too much cold in and with storage heaters there's not much heat to loose in the 1st place.

Comment

All get closed as it gets dark. In fact the lounge curtains are automatic on a timer, a hangover from when I used to travel a lot with work and the house was empty for weeks at a time.
      There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
        Do burglars not work before dusk...............
        It's a lot easier to see in, and difficult to be seen when it's dark

Having grown up in a less than salubrius council estate I know a few unsavoury characters who have in the past committed crimes (none of which I condone in the slightest) and who were busier during the winter months.

Our blinds are closed at dusk and opened when daylight breaks. Blinds when opened are at an angle so that it's difficult to see in and see certain thing that may or may not be of value. Internaldoors are always closed as well to make direct lines of sight from one room to another difficult.

You'll never be completely burglar proof, but your house only has to look less appealing than your neighbours.
        A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
          Our blinds are closed at dusk and opened when daylight breaks. Blinds when opened are at an angle so that it's difficult to see in and see certain thing that may or may not be of value. Internaldoors are always closed as well to make direct lines of sight from one room to another difficult.

You'll never be completely burglar proof, but your house only has to look less appealing than your neighbours.
          Although alternatively you could be hiding the great value of things you have

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
            Although alternatively you could be hiding the great value of things you have
            The key is to not make it look like you're hiding anything.
            A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I only close curtains to keep the hot sun out of the rooms at the front of the house. I too, hate the claustrophobic feeling of closed curtains and prefer to sit with my back to them if they must be closed.
              If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Originally posted by oldie View Post
                Having been told by an experienced burglar that he always looked for houses where the curtains were open so he could see if what was there was worth stealing I close mine at dusk.
                That's what got me thinking.....
                Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Front has wooden blinds as I don`t like net curtains but people walk past so blinds are slanted to allow light in & watching eyes out.At the back (lounge area ) we have 120ft garden with a bungalow at the back & a 10ft laurel hedge inbetween so although we have blinds we never close them.

Comment

We have blinds throughout.
                    The front lounge ones get shut as darkness falls.
                    The back lounge ones are left open.
                    The bedroom ones are closed to undress, as my room overlooks the street, but I open them in summer after I get undressed to let a breeze in through slightly open windows, and in winter so I get some light in the morning to wake me up.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

We have blinds downstairs, so just close them but upstairs close the curtains.
                      AKA Angie

Comment

Curtains are always closed at night. I get worried about someone being in the garden and seeing in (we were broken into in the past), so I do it through fear I tend to lean to the ocd side of it!! While we had no blind in the kitchen, I had to pin a bed sheet at the window! I also scared myself half to death when I was younger coming down the stairs and seeing 'someone' at the window at night..... it was only my reflection! lol

Gosh, that sounds awful reading it back, I'm not as bad as it sounds, honest

Comment

closed as soon as its dark, upstairs and downstairs all of them.

Comment

I think if it were just a case of putting off burglars we'd be far better off leaving ours open.However,it's a pretty cold house so we do tend to shut them in the evenings.Come Summer though they'll proably be open all the time.

We used to live in a third floor flat on the top of a hill.The windows were huge and I used to love sitting,day and night,staring out of them.No way could I handle having a family in a flat but I really miss that flat.
                            the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Open, open, open all the time. I too feel boxed in when curtains are drawn. One of the bedroom windows is open all year round too.

Comment

Closed when it is very cold, otherwise open all year. I find it much easier to get up when it is light and bright in the mornings. Bedrooms are not overlooked so hopefully no shocks for anyone!
                                Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X