why does the home hub lose my laptop?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
    Anyway, we suspect that the original problem was that the computer was connecting via the wrong hub at times?
    No, it is unlikely that it was trying to connect to the wrong hub as most people are sensible enough to use encryption on their wireless networks these days and therefore the laptop couldn't connect to a wireless network it didn't have the encryption key for. It's just that we have 13 channels within a fairly narrow band and they can interfere with each other. So if you and your neighbour are both using the same channel or ones close to each other you can get interference. The best channel to use is whichever of 1, 7 or 13 is furthest away from the other networks close by you.

@Gwyndy, yes, Network Stumbler's good isn't it. Another good one is WiFiFoFum.
    Last edited by HotStuff; 07-02-2010, 07:51 PM.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

I'm pretty sure my neighbours don't use encryption. When I start off my laptop, it picks up a signal, and our home router is NOT wireless type, so it MUST be coming from next door (or somewhere like that) mustn't it?
      Why would it be important to encrypt the signal?
      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

So that someone else doesn't use the signal that you are paying for. If you're happy to share, then don't encrypt
        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 08-02-2010, 09:48 PM.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          So that someone else doesn't use the signal that you are paying for. If you're happy to share, then don't encrypt
          Encrypt!!!!

If you dont somebody can get access to your network and your personal details

Comment

We have kept with the cable option. When I've picked up a wireless signal, I've never seen any sign of any information, but then when it comes to computers, I'm like the driver who just about knows to keep the fuel tank filled and get the car serviced regularly!

Comment

I'm pretty sure my neighbours don't use encryption. When I start off my laptop, it picks up a signal, and our home router is NOT wireless type, so it MUST be coming from next door (or somewhere like that) mustn't it?
              Most WAP's come with a pre-defined SSID and the WAP device is set to broadcast this SSID to allow other devices to connect to it, if you are within range then you could well see yours neighbours SSID as an available network, this doesn't mean that you can connect to it though - its just available, the presence of a SSID doesn't necessarily mean that the device isn't employing any security either.

As mentioned, if a WAP device isn't employing a encrypted connection it would allow someone within the WAP range to connect to the device and the internal network

Comment

So if you're feeling altruistic and don't mind anyone using something you are paying for and potentiallly downloading God knows what using your connection and intercepting your e-mail traffic and having a good root around everything you've got stored on your hard disks then don't bother encrypting
                Last edited by HotStuff; 08-02-2010, 11:26 PM.
                There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Originally posted by TEB View Post
                  Most WAP's come with a pre-defined SSID and the WAP device is set to broadcast this SSID to allow other devices to connect to it, if you are within range then you could well see yours neighbours SSID as an available network, this doesn't mean that you can connect to it though - its just available, the presence of a SSID doesn't necessarily mean that the device isn't employing any security either.

As mentioned, if a WAP device isn't employing a encrypted connection it would allow someone within the WAP range to connect to the device and the internal network
                  I successfully connect to the same network as on my desktop. Presumably that means he hasn't got anything to stop me?

Comment

Originally posted by HotStuff View Post
                    So if you're feeling altruistic and don't mind anyone using something you are paying for and potentiallly downloading God knows what using your connection and intercepting your e-mail traffic and having a good root around everything you've got stored on your hard disks then don't bother encrypting
                    Since the connection in this house IS NOT WIRELESS, presumably this is irrelevant?
                    Presumably one has to know HOW in order to connect to the information stored on a computer that 'owns' the connection you have picked up?
                    We have 2 computers on a wired router (no wireless capability) and only SHARED files on each are accessible to the other computer, presumably with sufficient knowledge one could get past this? (main reason, apart from the simultaneous use of broadband, is to share printer)

Comment

I successfully connect to the same network as on my desktop. Presumably that means he hasn't got anything to stop me?
                      If you can connect to your neighbours wireless connection without entering a password to that connection then it isn't employing any security and you could in theory start browsing the internet and his network, off course attempting to could well be illegal

Comment

Since the connection in this house IS NOT WIRELESS, presumably this is irrelevant?
                        Presumably one has to know HOW in order to connect to the information stored on a computer that 'owns' the connection you have picked up?
                        We have 2 computers on a wired router (no wireless capability) and only SHARED files on each are accessible to the other computer, presumably with sufficient knowledge one could get past this? (main reason, apart from the simultaneous use of broadband, is to share printer)
                        If you have any computer connecting to the Internet using whatever method then your network is vulnerable.

Comment

Yes, you are right, the encryption of wireless networks is irrelevant to you if you don't have a wireless network.

Comment

So are you saying you have connected your laptop wirelessly to the internet using your neighbours Access Point? If so, then technically that's theft.

Comment

Originally posted by HotStuff View Post
                              So are you saying you have connected your laptop wirelessly to the internet using your neighbours Access Point? If so, then technically that's theft.
                              Well since we haven't got a wireless connection, and the laptop connected, that is the only explanation I have, but there was no actual intent, and there has never been any actual 'use', just getting as far as seeing that there was e-mail, so I went back to the desktop, (because if I want to save e-mail that is where I want it).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X