No announcement yet.

What a Plonka!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread is ACE! It proves I'm not the only idiot in Vineland Sorry BM, but I did laugh when I read your post, and Hazel's Venetian blind one too.

I like Hans Mum's numbering system.

My tip is this; DO NOT sit and riddle lumps from a whole bale of compost in one go - your arms won't work the following day!
    Last edited by Glutton4...; 01-02-2010, 11:20 AM.
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

dont go away with the girls & leave your OH in charge of watering in the only really hot spell we get
      The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
        My tip is this; DO NOT sit and riddle lumps from a whole bale of compost in one go - your arms won't work the following day!
        Not only did I have label fairies but also a spy in the camp, I feel like I have Popeyes' arms today......
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I've done some idiot things, you'll find them on this thread

I tipped a seed tray of compost & onion seeds all over my bedroom the other day: trying to do 3 things at once as usual
          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 01-02-2010, 02:22 PM.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Dont do what I did a couple of weeks back..
            Stand 1 ton builders bag next to last years muck heap, 1/4 fill with lovely compost, then try to move it across small concrete apron, around outside of railed off yard...ok you can stop laughing now
            It didn't occur to me how much it would weigh, and you cant lift onto a wheelbarrow cos it sags everywhere..took two of us and LOTS of naughty words to get it to where it will be staying.
            Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

I think the label fairies were at work at my lottie just before Christmas. I'd planted a load of bare root brassica plants one week (various varieties, but all really similar), and when I turned up the following week they'd all been pulled up!! It was either the fairies or the pigeons!!

Comment

DON'T assume that because you only have 2 varieties of something, one at each end of a section of modules, you will keep track of which is which without labelling them properly!
                No greenhouse so plants that need 'starting in warmth' get grown indoors, and the tray needs turning because they lean towards the window........ Yep, couldn't remember how many times I had turned them.
                Last edited by Hilary B; 01-02-2010, 04:17 PM.
                Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Label Fairies....beware!?!

I use a staedtler permanent lumocolour in black, which is intended to be used to write on photos, but is VERY permanent and so far all the labels I have used it on have been ok, faded a little....they cost about a quid and look like a normal felt tip pen...

Comment

Hazel me too last week. Now I have seedlings with no name
                    Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

With a bit of luck, and especially if you have sown a variety of veg, you may be able to identify seedlings by there seed leaves?
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                        I've done some idiot things, you'll find them on this thread

I tipped a seed tray of compost & onion seeds all over my bedroom the other day: trying to do 3 things at once as usual
                        Now I'm quite open minded but seed trays in the bedroom, My OH prefers candles a glass of wine and a box of chocolates,

My lesson of what not to do is :-
                        Don't leave children even for a minute whilst potting up seeds, I always label each pot so I don't mix things up (I have the memory of a goldfish so i need to write things down) the little darlings decided to move the pots from the table to the floor and swap over alot of the labels, once the plants germinated I could work out what they were, the worst problem was the sunflowers I grew, I grew various types, dwarf ones for infront of the windows and taller ones to the side, well let just say I had to move 4 of them when they grew too big. This year I'm using seed trays, labeling each cell if different, making a paper copy, taking photo (Thank god for digital cameras) and updating spreadsheet from the paper copy (I lose paper copies in my filing system) once a computer nerd always a computer nerd. I must admit i was tempted by

coloured plant pots on ebay to help organise potting area but that may be a step too far + there isn't enough colours.

I also making sure all children are kept on a leash when near my potting area

no wonder my OH is woried about me
                        Last edited by enrich100; 01-02-2010, 08:56 PM. Reason: bad Grandmar and spilling
                        Thought For The Day
                        If a plum tomato breaks the law when it’s young
                        Would it’s criminal past ketchup with it later?

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                          With a bit of luck, and especially if you have sown a variety of veg, you may be able to identify seedlings by there seed leaves?
                          Yeah, I know what I planted, I just don't know what order but I now only have 6 to wait for. The mangetout I sowed on saturday are trying to climb out of the tray I'll post pics if I get stuck.
                          Last edited by Bigmallly; 01-02-2010, 10:00 PM.
                          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Keep clueless,non gardening other halfs away when your little ones come home from school with a couple of sunflower seeds in a pot.

When the seeds germinate and husks push out of the compost before splitting off the seed leaves, your other half will think they are growing upside down and 'helpfully' pull them up and repant the other way !

Comment

Yet another fine example of a plonka........I took delivery of Auto vent openers for greenhouse yesterday. Anyhow I couldn't wait to play with them as you do so I opens them puts them together then decided to have an arm wrestling match with them. Could I get the pistons to close?........not on your life, I thought they were broke or I had put them together wrong..........No, I didn't take into account the temperature in the room & they were doing their job & opening as they should.

Comment

Dont catch a cactus with bare hands. Was very pleased with myself that I'd managed to catch said plant without causing it any damage. Then realised hands are covered in very fine spines that hurt when I clasp / touch anything else.
                                Last edited by lizzylemon; 25-02-2010, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X