No announcement yet.

I have often pondered ...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which is why we were particularly cold last year, this year and also next year I would assume. We are further away and therefore get less heat to absorb thus the overall energy reserve will be lower.

Would that also 'explain' the cooler summers, the shift in the north Atlantic flow and the change in weather patterns?
    The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
      I know the feeling!
      I often wake in the night and a French word pops into my head and I've no idea what it means...so - naturally- I have to wake my 'dictionary' and ask him what it means...I never realisd just how many words could mean "for goodness sake woman"
      LMAO thanks for that

Comment

Originally posted by TPeers View Post
        Ahhh.... I'm sorry!
        tis ok, i'm sure you know stuff i don't

Comment

Interestingly ( or not....)the last 3 really cold winters were 19 and 28 years apart years apart..1963/1982/2010
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Very interesting Nicos, would you happen to know if those were years in which the 'El Nino' was also recorded?

Part of the reason for the current cold snap is apparently a shift in wind patterns causing the warm flow which comes from the south east over the uk in winter shifting due to the El Nino or some such.

I'm probably mis quoting - this was something TOH told me.
            The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

And now he's in India with the trots and cant correct you!
              Bob Leponge
              Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Originally posted by TPeers View Post
                Very interesting Nicos, would you happen to know if those were years in which the 'El Nino' was also recorded?
                1972 / 1982/3 and 1997/8 were the last three

here are some others...

1790-93, 1828, 1876-78, 1891, 1925-26, 1972-73, 1982-83, and 1997-98.[40] Recent El Niños have occurred in 1986-1987, 1991-1992, 1993, 1994, 1997-1998, 2002-2003, 2004-2005, 2006-2007 and 2009-2010.
                Last edited by Nicos; 07-01-2010, 07:31 PM.

Comment

And doesn't it also have something to do with the azimuth of the sun - it's still low therefore doesn't heat up the ground / sea as fast as when it is high?

Then again that could be the stupid answer to the question......
                  The cats' valet.

Comment

I'm off back to some thread I might understand, but thanks for the chat!
                    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Thanks everyone - that was very interesting. Not a stupid question in sight M. Le Bob

Comment

interesting Bit of info about water ...

It takes 10 times more energy to heat 1 litre of water(1kg) as 1kg of steel if memory serves correctly. The point is water thermically speaking quite stable, this is why it holds it's temperature for longer.
                        Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post

(It was the continental/sea bit I was trying to work out, until I realised it's an overall effect!)

Having pondered some more (the winter nights just fly by in Eancé) this is probably the bit I dont really understand.
                          As I said before, I can see how the thermal sea qualities would affect islands and coastal areas, and would also accept the great lakes across north America and even to an extent Russia.
                          However, a quick glance at my map tells me that around the border of Austria, Slovakia and the Czech Republic there are no large still bodies of water, and its pretty much in the centre of central Europe, a goodly distance from the sea.
                          The nearest mountain range of note is the Carpathians I would suggest, again, a goodly distance thus the reflective qualities of snow wouldnt really come into play.

If its an overall effect, what else is it?
                          Bob Leponge
                          Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

oh lordy Bob....

TPeers...can you invite your Uncle over for a cuppa????
                            Last edited by Nicos; 08-01-2010, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bobleponge View Post
                              And someone will now answer.

I firmly believe there is no such thing as a stupid question, what's stupid is to not know the answer and to not ask the question.

Thus:

We have just had the winter solstice, 21st December, shortest day. Our days now have more daylight, by over a minute a day until June. Why then, does it statistically get colder over January and February before finally starting to warm up in March, if we have more daylight, thus sunlight as of the 22nd December??
                              I always thought it was something to do with the earths rotation and the fact that the sun spends more time in the southern hemisphere, warming up Australia and South Africa for the cricket but then maybe its because I'm a bit dense.

**Bex gets coats and leaves this thread**
                              Last edited by Bex; 08-01-2010, 08:55 AM.
                              Bex

Comment

Oh dear- I did try but have deleted it..come on Uncle TP...either that, or You'll have to come over here Bob where we can natter away and come to no fixed conclusion!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X