keeping a dog

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes Bob.
    My parrot smells of biscuits, if you sniff her. But the whole house doesn't smell of parrot
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      Yes Bob.
      My parrot smells of biscuits, if you sniff her. But the whole house doesn't smell of parrot
      My next door but one neighbour has 5 parrots. The whole house smells of parrot.
      Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
      >
      >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

I have a black lab and when we first got him we lived 5 mins from where i work, so i could pop home at lunchtime and let him out, but then we moved 50 mile from where i work ! i got really worried about leaving him, but he`s been fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Polly Fouracre View Post
          That shouldn't happen if a dog is fit and well, well exercised and groomed daily. We have no carpets in our house, only hard floors and easily- washed vet-bed instead of rugs. Also we buy old leather sofas which are easily cleaned and don't harbour smells (when one wears out a replacement is cheap enough)
          A product called Simple Solution stain and odour remover sprayed very lightly every other day around skirtings, furniture and on the stairs should kep the house smelling sweet.
          Where do you get that from Polly? could be just what I'm after. I will confess, despite hoovering, dusting, washing couch covers etc my house does have a doggy niff, especially on the stairs. Anything that helps keep it fresher will be most welcome! (not so bad in summer when I have doors and windows open all the time)
          Kirsty b xx

Comment

In theory I would love to have a dog but the main reason I don't is that I really don't think it's fair to leave one on it's own all day while we're out at work. We have cats but they are out and about (well usually in next door!) on their own so have plenty of company as they want it however you can't do that with a dog. Next door leave theirs all day and although he has access to the outdoors (not 100% convinced about their household security to be honest) it looks bored stupid most of the time to me and ends up going totally mental when they get home. Yes you can compromise (and leaving you dog with friends / relatives is a good one) but I don't see the point in having one if you're not there for it. A friend of mine who has a similar opinion to me has ended up working with her local dogs home and houses dogs over the weekend to get them used to humans again. Works well for her and she's doing something useful too.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

My OH badgered me for a dog upon the demise of ours two border collies at 16 years old. I cried my heart out as from the same litter they went within two weeks of each other. I was very reluctant at first but oh kept on and on and after two, two mind you I finally gave in and said lets have a look. I then find myself driving to woodbridge to look at dogs one sunday afternoon. We spent two hours there and my oh picked up a puppy that came to us and did not put it down the whole time we were there. A little gremlin they called one kept biting my sandal and would not leave me alone. We went for the one oh had and as oh has been put on short time I submitted. I then thought about it on the way home and gave in and took the second. we have had them for two months now and they are little beauties. it is nice to be welcomed home at night. they amuse us no end and oh comes home every minute she can to let them out. they are walked every day by oh (I am usually at work) and its nice to see the delight in my oh's eyes with her new charges. I love them to bits. we both worked full time and I thought not fair on the pups, but they spend a maximum of 4 hours alone. I finish early some days so that helps. my oh does not want full time work now and luckily we are just about in the period she doesn't have to. They are a lot of work and if working full time would give it some very carefull thought. But the pleasure they give aswell as the affection who can say no.

Comment

lez - you can't post a tale like that and not include pictures - you just CAN'T!
                All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

This is a really difficult situation indeed and only really you will know what you're comfortable with and what you decide to do. But for what it's worth, here's my experience of having a dog and working fulltime too.

We rescued a pup (approx 3mths old) in Spain and we were home all day so it was OK. Due to 'unforeseen circumstances beyond our control' we had to return to the UK and after a year or so found ourselves full time work. The dog was OK or so we thought but it turns out she pinned all day long, and part of that pinning was howling. We found out about the dog because a friendly neighbour told us before a less friendly one went to the council with noise complaints. Also the dog started to get separation anxiety which lead to antidepressants and worsening behaviour patterns: she became vry agressive to strangers coming to the house (I caught the postman tormenting her through the front door!!) and developed new 'neurosis' left, right and centre.

Not all of her issues where to do with being left but it certainly didn't help. I would suggest getting a puppy and start as you mean to go on. Apparently stray pups can overbond with their new owners and it leads to all sorts of problems. Less intelligent breed of dogs would be good too, ours was super quick and she got very bored very quickly, and worked her self into a proper state without anyone around to stop her.

Also, I know it might not be a consideration in your life and many people will say other wise, but I would also think about whether you'll be having babies in your life after the dog arrives. I only say this because our dog was insanely jealous when we brought our daughter home from the hospital and tried to physically attack me when I was breast feeding. We had to rehome her immediately as there was no way in heaven it was gong to work and it hurt so much to have to do so.

Whatever you decide, I hope it works out well for you. Dogs can be a lovely addition to the family and bring so much pleasure but also a lot of hurt if it doesn't work out. Good luck.

Comment

may I recommend a labrador, they are very laid back, highly motivated by food, cuddly, kind, protective yet not viscious - the perfect dog. As for doggy smells - well, so what! People smell too!

Comment

Originally posted by petal View Post
                      may I recommend a labrador, they are very laid back, highly motivated by food, cuddly, kind, protective yet not viscious - the perfect dog. As for doggy smells - well, so what! People smell too!
                      they also are very prone to destroying the house when bored and young

as for doggy smells, my little dog has never ponged the house out, but me being away for a couple of weeks and leaving the pup with rob,and him not being to keen to walk him twice a day .... i came home and yuck ... gotta do some serious deponging this week .... and definitely not leave him with rob any more lol.

Comment

dog walkers

I have a 12 year old minature german sheppard and she only ever barks if somebody is hanging about near our door. When we moved house we were told that she cries in the daytime but we later found out that the woman who used to live next door was always looking in our front window and talking to her. We had to resolve that by closing our front curtains in the end and we were told that she stopped crying after that.
                        For the last couple of years we havent had to leave her alone in the day. We do have to take her to the vets regularly and because she is blind we opt to use a pet taxi and the man that runs that is also a registered dog walker. He will go to someones house during the day and collect their dog and take it for a walk for about a hour or so then he will take it home and check its water and then leave. Its very cheap.

Comment

I think my two boys are wishing that I would hurry up and go back to work (snowed in at the moment!) so they can get some peace and quiet! They're ususal routine is an hours walk before work, snooze and play all day (toys all over the place when I get home) about 20 mins walk at night (in winter, longer in summer although they are getting older now so can't manage too much) food then more snoozing and playing. I was worried at first when I went back to full time work, but after a few chewing incidents by the younger one (spaniel collie!!) they both settled down into a routine. They are both happy, fit and healthy boys so I don't think they mind too much. Obviously I would prefer not to have to leave them for so long, but OH does shifts now so they are very rarely left all day.

Comment

I really miss my old fella this time of the year - he loved snow as much as I do, and we used to muck around in it together for hours.
                            Attached Files
                            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X