No announcement yet.

keeping a dog

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can I just add at the risk of being shouted down, that OH is dead against having a dog for the other reason - the doggie smell which permeates the whole house!

Comment

We have a dog, and I work part time, himself is on permanent nights. If I had worked fulltime too, I would not have been keen on a dog at all.
      Boo always has someone in the house with her, she will curl up on the bed with OH and sleep all day with him if allowed, on the days when I work. At weekends himself is in the land of the living and Boo has constant company.
      She goes out with me on my days off and is currently loving the training schedule for my walk cos that means HER walks are extra long!

She barks if anyone comes to the back door, but not if they come in the front and barks at the local mogs sometimes. Never been told by anyone that she is nuisance tho, so hoping that it a good thing.
      Kirsty b xx

Comment

Originally posted by janeyo View Post
        can I just add at the risk of being shouted down, that OH is dead against having a dog for the other reason - the doggie smell which permeates the whole house!
        Boxer dogs don't smell 'doggy' honest! They smell like biscuits! My sis-in-law has a lab. & when he came round the other day me & the O.H. couldn't believe how 'doggy' he smelt but our boxer didn't when we had her, it wasn't that we got used to it she really didn't smell, drool however was another matter!
        Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Originally posted by SueA View Post
          Boxer dogs don't smell 'doggy' honest! They smell like biscuits! My sis-in-law has a lab. & when he came round the other day me & the O.H. couldn't believe how 'doggy' he smelt but our boxer didn't when we had her, it wasn't that we got used to it she really didn't smell, drool however was another matter!
          We have 2 Boxer boys and our house doesn't smell at all!! Over Christmas, someone asked if we kennelled them outside, as they'd expected the house to smell 'doggy'.

Of course, we don't keep them outside, the poor little loves couldn't cope. They sleep on the sofas....

Comment

i've had dogs for years, and have had them when a split meant i had to work full time, instead of the part time they were used to. i had two border collies, the older one 6 was fine, the 4 yo wrecked the house, and i mean ate the bottoms off doors tore up carpet etc. I ended up taking them with me in my car and walking them at breaks and lunch.

we now have a German Shepherd who is very vocal if people come to the house weather we're in or not. other than that she is fine when left (we asked the neighbours) but is never left all day every day. on the occasions we are out all day our friend comes and lets her out at lunchtimeish and spends half an hour or so with her, just for company.
            Visitors on the other side leave their spaniel (who is supposedly used to being left alone) when they go out, and it literally barks solidly for 3/4 hours.
            I do not think it is fair to leave a pup/puppies on its/their own. They can easily do stupid things, I do actually know an idiot who left their pup on its own with a plugged in radio for company..he went under the table and chewed through the flex....no he didnt survive.
            An older dog who has always been used to it (rescue) would be much better, although its still not ideal.
            And yes..the more intelligent or hyper the bred the worse it is to do it to them.
            Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

On the point of leaving a dog alone all day I must admit we did it some of the time when we first had our boxer. I used to pop home at lunch when she was little to let her out & feed her but she was bored & did chew things. We didn't have a problem with her barking as the immediate neighbours went out to work too & she didn't bark at all for the first year! We used to walk her before work, after work & before bed & used to take her on holiday with us & on days out at the weekend & she was a very loving & friendly dog with everyone she met. The only time a neighbour complained about her barking was when we were refitting some of the kitchen & had bought her a kennel & bed to stay in the garden while we were out & she spent most of the day barking, crying & trying to jump the fence. When she was older she did used to bark if anyone approached the house but the next door neighbour then said she didn't mind as it warned her someone was lurking around.
              I would seriously think hard about it though & do a lot of research into breeds etc. & consider your neighbours & if you can commit yourself to what should be a full time job of caring for a dog.
              Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

We have a rescue dog Daisy. We have had her from a puppy. She barks at the postie, only certain ones though and if there are cats in the yard!
                However we have all had varying times coming and going due to school hours/holidays/shift patterns and she is fine with this as she knows we always come back.
                She has her toys, blankets and if we are out for longer we put on radio four which she does listen to!
                It all depends on the dog, like people some do not find it easy to be on thier own and cause a commotion or get very stressed.
                Daisy is very happy and content and loves it when we come home but doesn't stress about us going either, especially as she knows when we come home she will get a treat for being such a good girl.
                If you had a rescued dog there may be doggies there who have been used to being left for the day and it is worthwhile asking this.
                We got Daisy from Dogstrust and they were excellent.
                I would say go for it, they are always happy to see you and are a delight.
                When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Comment

We, and Dexter, are very lucky to have our friend and neighbour, Margaret living next door. She looks after Dexter for us when we are out at work. He has a much better social life than we do, he goes to keep fit, weight watchers, plays bridge at least twice a week, as well as at least two long walks each day - and that's just for starters. Dexter adores Margaret and she adores him. We are very lucky. We wouldnt be able to have a Dexter if it wasnt for her.
                  Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

I thought Sprocket and Boots had a good social life with my Mum and Dad, but Dexter does better. I won't tell them or the lovely Margaret will have 3 for walkies.

Have just been looking at the South Yorkshire English Springer Website and they had some interesting points to consider before getting a dog, anyone interested it is Welcome Page.
                    Karen

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
                    Even a journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step!

Comment

Great website Karen, some valid points to consider.
                      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

That shouldn't happen if a dog is fit and well, well exercised and groomed daily. We have no carpets in our house, only hard floors and easily- washed vet-bed instead of rugs. Also we buy old leather sofas which are easily cleaned and don't harbour smells (when one wears out a replacement is cheap enough)
                        A product called Simple Solution stain and odour remover sprayed very lightly every other day around skirtings, furniture and on the stairs should kep the house smelling sweet.

Comment

Ed has just told me that he is looking for a new home. There are two reasons. His humans don't bathe enough and we don't play enough Bach on the old stereo.
                          Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
                          >
                          >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

I have to say I have never been to a doggies house where it didn't smell of dog! Maybe dog owners don't notice it? I didn't notice it wen had my dog but notice it in other people's.. now looking forward to being invited to all you doggy houses to have a sniff and be proved wrong

Comment

I have to say I have never been to a doggies house where it didn't smell of dog! Maybe dog owners don't notice it?
                              They don't.
                              The puppy we looked after (male, mini-Schnauzer) is well looked-after, fit, young and healthy, but he still pongs. His owners clean the house religiously and don't allow him on furniture, but even so.
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

But if you go into someone's bedroom, that will have an aroma too.
                                We all have our own smell, dogs as well as humans. I dont notice my dog, except for when he does his "special" smells, but I know he will.
                                Bob Leponge
                                Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X