Limited diet must be awkward ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rhona View Post
    My MiL is famously intolerant of vegetarians. I think she can't quite believe they Don't Eat Meat. I've twice heard her exclaim to a veggie she was trying to feed "it's only a bit of ham stock' and "but they're only lardons." Small meat isn't really meat apparently.
    A friend of mine told me the other week that her and her fiance don't believe in vegetarians! So much so that they're refusing to have any vegetarian food at their wedding despite the fact that they are providing choices of two different meats and fish and the hotel are recommending that they check with their guests. They will however quite happily eat a huge plate of meat without any concern for it's quality or source.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I had similar trouble when my youngest whose 6, had her friend round to tea one day after school.
      I asked the girl's mum if there was anything she wouldnt or didnt like? No she'll eat anything and everything I was told.

I made: salmon fishfingers, mashed potatoes and carrots - not too adventurous?? The girl said "I'm not eating this, its disgusting!" and pretty much threw the plate at me! For pudding I had made a few days ealier, a white chocoate cake....which I duly offered this girl, to be told "If I eat that, I'll puke!" followed by immitation retching sounds!!

This was just part of the fiasco with her.

Needless to say she has not been invited back.

I do wish parents would be honest about their kids diets, perhaps they are just too embarressed to admit how limited it is!
      Maybe I am a bit old fashioned, but a few manners wouldnt go a miss too. I would be horrified if my daughter behaved like that in someone's house.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
        We try and introduce Bean to all sorts of foods ...even ate Marmite
        My sister's toddlers eat wasabi peas

Originally posted by Rhona View Post
        My MiL is famously intolerant of vegetarians
        My dear old Nan used to make me cheese & ham quiche as a vegetarian option (it's only small bits of ham, pick them out if you're that fussy)
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I have every respect for those who either through choice or for medical reasons are vegetarians. The people who puzzle me are those who say they are vegetarian but in reality just don't eat red meat, I eat very little red meat myself and try to have at least one meat-free day a week but no way consider myself vegetarian.
          A few years ago my step-daughter was bringing a friend of hers to stay over Christmas; two days before she told me her friend was vegetarian. I thought I would try to make the food as special as possible so spent a lot of effort in preparing vegetarian dishes for her. You've guessed it, she was one of those who just didn't eat red meat so most of the traditional Christmas food was no problem for her. The amusing thing was that she had to have every meal smothered in tomato ketchup (yes, even Christmas dinner). Oh, and it had to be Heinz. I was pleased to learn it wasn't a reflection on my cooking, she always did that.

Comment

Originally posted by louisesgarden View Post
            My Oh and i have just had a week off work, today his friend from work has come to stay for a couple of days so they can play golf, he`s in his thirties like us and a really nice guy, but ! i have cooking duties ! he doesnt eat anything foreign, never tried it not even a spag bol ! he only eats chicken, from what my OH says he eats cheese sandwichs, chicken and some veg ! so i`m going to do a sunday dinner and hope he eats the veg i`ve picked !, i wonder if thats why he`s so thin and pasty looking as his diet is so limited ?
            How did it all go? I bet it was a raging success!! Do let us know!
            Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              My dear old Nan used to make me cheese & ham quiche as a vegetarian option (it's only small bits of ham, pick them out if you're that fussy)
              Thats my Mum's way of doing things as well, still sniggering to myself at that one remembering the look on the GF's face when she said that she was a veggie.
              Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
              Bob Dylan

Comment

As the Mum of a 'fussy eater' it can be medical equally as has been said it can be sheer bl**dy mindedness!

Could this friend be food phobic?

It is a real problem, often linked to high level Autism and/or Asperger Syndrome.
                The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

When I met Little One (Mr S's daughter) she would ONLY eat Mac Dees.

No way! She is now allowed to eat "mostly" pizza and chips with us, but she will try new stuff - my rule is 'if you don't like it, spit it out, but you must try it'. She loves fish pie, so long as I don't tell her that it's mashed potato on the top: she doesn't LIKE potato.

I also smother anything new with melted cheese, that helps.

Comment

Youngest grandson loves burger meat and mash known to everyone else as cottage pie.
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

She loves fish pie, so long as I don't tell her that it's mashed potato on the top: she doesn't LIKE potato.
                      Reminds me of my OH,he HATES cucumbers.When we went for the holidays,he was dipping pieces of fish in tartar sauce.When I asked him "why do you eat tartar sauce,it contains pickled cukes" he pushed the plate away.So much for not liking things

Comment

Try cooking for my OH who is vegetarian ( very fussy about it ) and doesnt eat anything that an animal has been killed to get the product and is diabetic to boot nightmare, my mum was celiac ( sp ) my nephews ex didnt eat fish try cooking and accomadating all three plus everyone else who was fairly ' normal '
                        Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                        and ends with backache

Comment

Originally posted by jackie j View Post
                          Try cooking for my OH who is vegetarian ( very fussy about it ) and doesnt eat anything that an animal has been killed to get the product
                          Isn't that true of all proper vegetarians or am I missing the point?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                            I have a very good friend who's a vegetarian and she's one of the easiest, cheapest (I don't mean that in a disrespectful way) people to cook for...obviously I grow my own veg and I love vegetarian food, especially the Curry's...yum.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                              Ah, the old 'but you wear leather' chestnut?

Vegetarians don't eat flesh, vegans don't eat eggs/milk/honey or wear leather.

Fruitarians won't eat anything that's been 'killed', eg. carrots. Nuts are OK and fruit, because eating them doesn't kill the plant they came from.
                              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 18-12-2009, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Ah, the old 'but you wear leather' chestnut?

Vegetarians don't eat flesh, vegans don't eat eggs/milk/honey or wear leather.

Fruitarians won't eat anything that's been 'killed', eg. carrots. Nuts are OK and fruit, because eating them doesn't kill the plant they came from.
                                Honestly I wasn't having a go I was just confused as to why any type of vegetarian (from the bog standard ones upwards) would eat anything where an animal had been killed so didn't understand why that was different although do see that he has other dietry restrictions. The whole issue of leather etc is a totally different subject.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X